1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

A7 Review on DPReview.com and purported issue with shutter speed bias

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by Hawkman, Jan 23, 2014.

1. Hawkman

Hawkman TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    As some may have seen, DPReview.com has finally posted their review of the A7 (one for the A7R is still forthcoming). http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sony-alpha-a7

Their review is notably critical of several "issues" with the camera, from control placement, to JPEG quality, to focus issues for manual lenses. But one issue I was curious about, not owning an A7 myself (but rather *just* the a3000), is their issue with the camera biased toward a shutter speed of 1/60 when in full auto, A or P mode, preferring instead to optimize for lower ISO rather than faster shutter speed.

I must say I've noticed a similar "bias" with my a3000 and was wondering if other A7 or NEX/Alpha users are familiar with this apparent behavior and whether there is any correction/adjustment available other than S or M modes.

In addition, DPReview recently posted another article reviewing the A7's capabilities for using legacy manual focus lenses, again reaching a somewhat negative view (do I detect a pattern or journalistic bias?), particularly noting difficulties using the focus peaking. http://www.dpreview.com/news/2014/01/21/using-third-party-lenses-on-sony-a7-a7r
    I must say I've noticed some difficulty getting good lock with focus peaking on my a3000 with my meager set of legacy lenses. But I have so far put that down to either (a) my own inexperience, (b) the a3000's less than stellar screen and EVF resolutions, or (c) peculiarities with the lenses or $20 adapters. I've seen some awfully good, and awfully sharp in many cases, shots here from some of you taken with legacy glass, so I know it can be done. Any thoughts or tips that DPReview and I could benefit from?

Thanks in advance for your informed thoughts and opinions.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Yohan

Yohan TalkEmount Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Yohan
    I thought Auto ISO should be much more flexible for NEX/A7(r) cameras. Experienced the same with NEX 7, again with the Alpha 7. Min shutter speed, max ISO should be included in these cameras.

However, you can actually set ISO to Auto ISO in M mode. then select your aperture and desired shutter speed. It'll behave like it's on A-mode with custom min shutter speed value.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Hawkman

Hawkman TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    Good call. Thanks. I think DPReview mentioned something similar to this... or else it sounds familiar to me - maybe buried in my subconscious memories but consciously forgotten.

4. Armanius

Armanius TalkEmount Regular

Aug 8, 2011
    Houston Texas USA
    I don't believe there are any focus peaking implementations that provide for pin sharp manual focus without using magnify, unless one is shooting with lots of DOF to begin with. I've used focus peaking from Ricoh, Fuji and Sony (NEX and A7). IMO, Sony's implantation is still the best one.

I always use magnify if I need 100% accuracy. And I make sure my shutter speed is high, because my form tends to get sloppy when I am distracted with the manual focusing process.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    Yep - all about manual with auto ISO and focus magnification. Hard to imagine a better way to do manual focus in low light.

12114741196_bef896b1d9_c.
    Craig by Jeff Addicott, on Flickr

• Like Like x 1