A7(R) light leaks: not a big deal after all?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by addieleman, Mar 8, 2014.

1. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Got this link from dpreview: Do concerns about Sony A7 light leaks hold water?

Maybe we shouldn't worry too much after all; at least I couldn't bring myself to sending in the camera for it, only to not have it for 6 weeks, with probably a non-conclusive outcome.

• Like Like x 3
  2. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Yeah, if you're really concerned, the simple solution is to get a lens cap strap and slot it round your mount. I haven't noticed a 'leaky' shot on my camera yet so I wouldn't know though :p

3. Mathieu Decodts

Mathieu Decodts TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 5, 2013
    I got a new a7r last week and the mount is extremely rigid, not squishy at all, maybe they have addressed it regardless?

I did the 30 sec exposure at 25000 and just got sensor noise (a few random speckles, nothing more)

either way conforting to see it happen with other cameras, not really an issue for me being a portrait person, but I could understand how it would upset someone like Poki who shoots night time landscapes.

• Like Like x 1
  4. asimkalkan

asimkalkan TalkEmount Regular

Sep 27, 2012
    İ also got A7 slightly used newly. Tried it for 30sec but there was no leaks at all

GT-I9300 cihazımdan Tapatalk kullanılarak gönderildi

5. Yohan

Yohan TalkEmount Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Yohan
    I've yet to test the my A7 using the ISO 25600 & 30 sec exposure. Can't imagine a scenario where I shoot with those parameters. I've used the A7 in bright places including direct sunlight and doesn't seem to have an issue. While I understand that I might run into issues when I do long exposure, I don't want to look for problems that may or may not exist that most likely won't affect me..

That being said, the lens mount on my A7 is firm.

6. lowincash

lowincash TalkEmount Regular

Dec 21, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Kin
    Yeah not really a concern for me either. When I did that 30 second high ISO test I only got sensor noise when using the kit lens. Got some crazy light leak when using the hawk helicoid adapter and voigtlander lens. So it seems to be adapter that's causing light leak for mine.

7. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
  8. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    These articles have me laughing. The online world provides a platform for the creation of mass hysteria for otherwise meaningless events. I saw more about these light leaks than the overall quality of a revolutionary camera in the last month. That's a shame.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

9. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    No kidding. When I read that you have to 1) replace your lens with a flimsy, plastic body cap, and 2) expose an image for 30 secs. at ISO 25600 to detect the "problem," my keen mind told me that, whatever "it" was, it wasn't likely to affect me. But that's the Intertubes for ya.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Mathieu Decodts

Mathieu Decodts TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 5, 2013
    Seems I didn't do the test right, I didn't shine a torch during the exposure. Literally can't be arsed repeating it though, too busy enjoying the camera as it will never effect me for what I shoot. But I appreciate it's important for some long exposure folk.

Sent from my E2001 using TalkEmount mobile app

11. Snowy

Snowy TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    Melbourne, Australia
    Barry
    I haven't seen this 'problem' on my A7. I also read Roger's (Lensrentals) blog, which can be quite amusing. I don't normally take photos at ISO 25600 with a 30 sec exposure so I may never know if I should worry. ;)

12. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
  13. John D.

John D. TalkEmount Regular

Oct 7, 2013
    My A7R was just returned from Sony - who replaced internal parts in the mount and included a molded rubber cover for the mount/release button for extended exposures. This is what I just posted on the Sony community website:

I've never seen anyone post an update to the Sony fix (Rubber Mount Shield) and replacing some internal parts under warranty - so I figured I'd let you folks know first.

Bottom line? With the Sony rubber mount shield and the updates - my A7R has exactly ZERO issues.

- John

Attached is what the Sony supplied mount cover looks like...

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 4