A7 question

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by elandel, Oct 8, 2016.

1. elandel

elandel TalkEmount Regular

Mar 7, 2012
    Milan
    Hi all. I have a question for you owners of Sony A7.
    I wanted to buy an EM1 and probably will but I am bit by the FF bug. I had a D700 which I sold because now way to heavy for me but still regretting it. I have an a6000 and EP3. With the a6000 I did not bond, think it's a question of feeling. Want to complete my m4/3 system with FF and was thinking about the A7 for weight and size.
    Don't want to spend much (my wallet says no) so maybe the a7 is my best choice. I ask you owners if it is still a good choice for general photography: mainly travel and architecture (inside churches etc.) I will buy first the 28-70 for my tight budget then other lenses in the future.
    Can you tell me if it has any issues and is adeguate for my uses?
    I was also thinking about the Nikon D610 but maybe the a7 is smaller and lighter and this is important for me.
    Has anyone had both and can tell me if iq is the same?

Thanks

2. greywater

greywater TalkEmount Regular

Sep 28, 2014
    I've owned many many cameras and I love my A7. I have a D800 and rarely use it anymore. If I were to buy another body, it would be an A7.

3. SamSS

SamSS TalkEmount Regular

Oct 11, 2014
    I think it's still a good budget choice. You may find a used combo a7+28-70 as low as $900. Otherwise, I would recommend the FE 28mm f2 for starter instead.

• Like Like x 1
  4. DYNOBOB

DYNOBOB TalkEmount Regular

Feb 9, 2016
    Cincinnati, OH
    Bob
    I'd agree with this 100%. Skip the kit zoom and buy a lens that is useful long term. I shot for months with nothing but a C/Y mount Zeiss 28mm on my A7. It's effective for landscape, but not so wide that it makes people look weird. You can get great 50mm crops from a 24mp full frame sensor. Here are some A7/28mm shots. Showcase - Carl Zeiss 28mm f/2.8 (Contax Distagon T*)

Good luck!

• Like Like x 1
  5. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    I have one for quite some time and chose it over the A7II because of budget too.

If you are on a budget, the original A7 is still a great camera for general use. Its only real "issue" for me compared to the II versions, is the sensor reflection issue - so just be cautious with lights hitting the sensor at certain angles :)

I tried a D800 at a wedding and having not used a pro dslr before, I just couldn't get the hang of it :D Heavy, OVF, no real time exposure etc so I stick with my mirrorless :)

I would also skip the kit 28-70 and if budget allows, would go with either a used 24-70 or a used 24-240 if you just need a general walk around zoom lens. If you don't mind primes, then you have a lot of options.

• Like Like x 1
  6. SamSS

SamSS TalkEmount Regular

Oct 11, 2014
    I would like to add that a used 28mm f2 that I've seen as low as $320 but more likely around $350.
    Also, a brand new FE 50mm f1.8 is currently selling at $199 all over places. It's a little slow in AF but alright for IQ and price.
    Both of these lenses are native, small for travel and fast enough for low light situations.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  7. elandel

Mar 7, 2012
    Milan
    Thanks for your reply and useful suggestions.
    Here in Italy it's not convenient to buy a used a7 because price is around 800 euros body only and new is 980 euros so better new for full warranty.

Probaby I'll get a walk around zoom which is more useful for me. Primes I have all the nikon ai-a is series from 24mm to 200mm so will stick with those for now.
    Another question is how is SOOC jpeg because I'm mostly a jpeg shooter. I have read many different opinions: some say very nice other say absolutely bad. Would like to read your opinions before taking the plunge.

8. Golfhacker27

Golfhacker27 TalkEmount Regular

May 15, 2016
    I purchased my A7 recently, choosing it for low weight and low cost.
    No regrets at all (except the sensor dust problem :-/).
    It works great for landscape and architecture, which is my primary interest.
    I purchased as a kit with the 28-70. This zoom is okay, but that's all. It was only €100 more with the lens than body alone, so it will come in useful when I come to sell. Haven't used the 28-70 much.
    My main lens is a Canon 17-40 with Fotodiox adaptor. Much cheaper than the Sony 16-35. Mint used 17-40 + new adapter was €500. Not bad for the equivalent of a bag full of primes.
    Example from recent trip to Bologna. Handheld; pushed the ISO to 400 to give SS around 1/20s. Two images merged in LR6 using the 'HDR' mode.
    Bologna1.

• Like Like x 1
  9. elandel

Mar 7, 2012
    Milan
    Thanks for reply. How is af with canon lenses and adapter? Some say it's passable some awfully slow?

10. elandel

Mar 7, 2012
    Milan
    Thanks for sharing.. very nice photos. Really make you want to buy one.

11. Golfhacker27

May 15, 2016
    It will vary according to lens model and adapter model.
    Shorter focal length 'L' models seem to be ok. Longer FL (e.g. above 100mm) will be slower.
    More expensive adapters are better, but you have to then consider if it wouldn't be more cost effective to just get the Sony lens.
    The Fotodiox is €100 and gives AF (with the 17-40) in about 0.5 seconds, going up to 1s in low light. Perfectly ok for landscape and architecture. I can't think of any shot that I've missed due to AF problems. And the AF is accurate.
    My next purchase will likely be the Canon 24-105L, and from what I have read, that will be about the same for AF.

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. elandel

Mar 7, 2012
    Milan
    Seems very acceptable af.

13. elandel

Mar 7, 2012
    Milan
    Is there a difference in IQ between the Canon 17-40 and 24-105?

14. Golfhacker27

May 15, 2016
    I can't comment on the IQ or one vs the other. Both are very well respected for their IQ.
    The Canon 16-35L will be better than the 17-40L (some consider the Canon 16-35 to be superior to the Sony 16-35). But will be more expensive than the 17-40.
    The Canon 24-70L will be better than the 24-105L.
    The Canon 17-40 & 24-105 are lenses that were sold as kit lenses with Canon FF models (E.g. 5D & 6D) and are now very numerous and cheap on the secondhand market. Meaning pretty good IQ (better than the Sony 28-70) for a pretty cheap price (esp. compared to new and secondhand Sony lenses).

15. elandel

Mar 7, 2012
    Milan
    Here in Italy a second hand 24-104 is about 600 euros and 17-40 around 500 euros. Both are tempi g but maybe better 24-105 for first buy because of longer reach.

16. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Be aware that you don't always have image stabilization with adapted lenses on the A7, that'll depend on the adapter and lens combo; the FE 28-70mm has OSS (optical image stabilization), which can be really helpful depending on circumstances.

17. elandel

Mar 7, 2012
    Milan
    Yes I know. The re is a site with all ed-fe and adapter compatibility. Ora something like Brian ora so. Does someone know it?

18. Golfhacker27

May 15, 2016
  19. elandel

Mar 7, 2012
    Milan
    Thanks. Its what I was trying to remember.

20. dianepsmith

dianepsmith New to TalkEmount

Sep 3, 2015
    Diane Smith
    I have an A7r and use it for travel, architecture and landscape. My favorite lens for travel is the Sony/zeiss 24-70. The A7r and this lens is a fantastic combo and I have delighted with the photos that I come home with.