1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

A7 or A7r

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by nstelemark, Dec 6, 2013.

1. nstelemark

nstelemark TalkEmount Regular

Oct 19, 2013
    I have some MF glass, all Olympus OM - 24/2.8, 50/1.4, 85/2, 135/2.8, and I just bought an NEX E-mount to OM adapter (well and a 300/4.5 which is really my eldest son's but he steals mine so I figure this is fair play :wink:)

Any initial feedback on the A7 or the A7r being the better choice? I am going to do some test shots in store before I make any decisions but I would love to hear some feedback.

2. rkworld

rkworld TalkEmount Regular

Aug 22, 2013
    NYC
    Roman
    While i dont own either one, yet, it really depends on what you like to shoot.
    If you do a lot of landscapes or tripod long, long exposure, then A7r is probably better
    For everything else A7 is excellent, but then again with manual glass faster AF does not mean anything so you maybe better off with A7r lol
    not sure i helped but just my 2 cents

3. nstelemark

Oct 19, 2013
    I ran into this comment:

on a blog.

I really have two drivers in buying an A7: high ISO performance and landscapes. This will be interesting to test.

4. Armanius

Armanius TalkEmount Regular

Aug 8, 2011
    Houston Texas USA
    For whatever it's worth, here is a link to DXO's sensor testing with a comparison of the A7 vs. D610 vs. D800E. You can also choose other cameras for the comparison.

http://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Comp...s-Nikon-D610-versus-Nikon-D800E___916_915_814

The D610 and D800E have one of, if not the highest scores for low light (high) ISO performance, 2925 and 2979 points scored, respectively. Arguably, anything above 1500 is pretty good. The Canon 5D3 scored around 1800, and in my opinion, that's a pretty darn good camera for low light ISO. The A7 scored 2248.

5. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    • Like Like x 2
  6. nstelemark

Oct 19, 2013

I have looked at DXO's sensor tests and they certainly don't line up with the reviewer's comments. I am going to do some testing and see. It is always interesting to test directly.

• Like Like x 1
  7. nstelemark

Oct 19, 2013

Very cool. Thanks. No question these lenses are going to have to be stopped down. That is certainly my experience on the E-M1.

Edit - really great images on fredmiranda. Thanks much!

8. Armanius

Aug 8, 2011
    Houston Texas USA
    From my own testing, the A7 is about half to one stop better than a Fuji XE1 (with a Metabones Speed Booster -- very cool gadget) in low light ISO. It was not as big of an advantage as I had anticipated.

9. nstelemark

Oct 19, 2013
    I shot a few test shots with an A7 with the kit lens in the store tonight. I was not blown away but the kit lens does not seem stellar.

10. nstelemark

Oct 19, 2013
    It will be interesting to try the OM glass when my adapter comes.

11. nstelemark

Oct 19, 2013
    Hmmm well the last two posts were to get to the 10 post limit to upload an image but it won't work. Same presets as mu43 so it *should* work.

DSC00020.

So I uploaded it on my other account.

E-PM1 taken with the A7 and kit lens.

ISO1250 f5.6 1/80 @ 70mm

12. rkworld

rkworld TalkEmount Regular

Aug 22, 2013
    NYC
    Roman
    very clean image

13. Armanius

Aug 8, 2011
    Houston Texas USA
    The kit zoom is blah in my opinion. I returned the kit with the zoom and got the body only.

14. nstelemark

Oct 19, 2013
    I finally got to try the A7 with an OM to Emount adapter and the 24, 50 and 135 OM lenses. This combination seems to work well and puts out some nice files.

DSC00001.

The lenses also look right on this body:

P3280028.

Unfortunately I also got to shoot with the Nocticron and my E-M1. Decisions - decisions!

Attached Files:

15. MAubrey

MAubrey TalkEmount Top Veteran

That's looking pretty good! Good to see you over here from mu-43. I've been enjoying straddling both forums myself. The Nocticron is tempting. I'll be waiting until after the traditional Panasonic price drop before I consider one. I'd expect your 85mm f/2 will look pretty good too though, if you're willing to wait on the Nocticron.

Attached Files:

16. nstelemark

Oct 19, 2013
    My 85 f2 is not so great -

PC120009_1_.

Lots of oil inside the lens.

A couple of things I noticed with the A7. The EVF is really great if things aren't moving. Very easy to focus even without Focus Peaking. If there is movement in the EVF there is some smearing.

The shutter is loud. Really loud. I haven't shot the A7r but the A7 is noticeably loud.

Attached Files:

17. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    I've shot both. The A7r is like a sonic boom compared to the A7.

Attached Files:

18. mattia

mattia TalkEmount Regular

Dec 13, 2013
    The shutters are loud, but so are shutters on FF DSLRs. The A7r's mostly sounds really 'slow' because of the double 'thunk-chunk' you get (because of the continuous live view). Honestly, it doesn't really bother me in real world use, but it's definitely not stealthy.

19. MAubrey

MAubrey TalkEmount Top Veteran

My A7 is certainly quieter than my old 5D, that's for sure.

20. robg

robg New to TalkEmount

Dec 15, 2014
    1/ As you are using legacy glass, you will not have autofocus. Thus, you should consider the higher resolution of the A7R, as this will maximise the lenses.
    2/ my A7R gives me excellent high-ISO performance.
    3/ DXO is heavily biased to Nikon and Canon.
    4/ All wide lenses will have vignette and fall off. This can be increased by the adapter, so buy a decent adapter. If the adapter does not enable the DOF button, don't fret; it is useless anyway. You will see the DOF effect as you turn the aperture ring.
    5/ You may see DOF effects more clearly on the A7R.
    6/ You have an enviable collection of OM lenses!