1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

A7 or A7II

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by Yadex, Apr 26, 2015.

1. Yadex

Yadex TalkEmount Regular

Jul 4, 2013
    New Jersey
    A7 with kit lens for $1,300 or A7II with kit lens for $1,800???? Mmmmm which one mmmmmmm

2. oopsydaisy

oopsydaisy TalkEmount Rookie

Dec 26, 2014
    I've owned both and I'd definitely go with the A7ii. The image stabilization and bigger grip help you get sharper images handheld at slower shutter speeds. You can see some of my images in the A7ii image thread

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    If there were a $1000 difference between the two kits, that would make it a tougher call.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Yadex

Yadex TalkEmount Regular

Jul 4, 2013
    New Jersey
    Some one might is going to buy from me one of my a6000 if he really get it I will go with the a7II

5. Bill

Bill TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 22, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    Bill
    Two things:

1) The kit lens is stabilised; so while the A7II is better (I have both), the question is what other lenses do you plan to buy?

2) The rumour is that there will be a new A6XXX series (APS-C) soon, and it might have stabilisation. I know that waiting for unannounced cameras can be waste of time, but an A7 or an A7II is a serious investment.

6. Yadex

Yadex TalkEmount Regular

Jul 4, 2013
    New Jersey
    I read that the new 6xxx might have the the sensor technology the a7II have on aps-c size... Right Now my favorite lens that I use for everything is the zeiss 16-70mm (and love the sel50mm 1.8) I will try to get something in that range and I actually do a lot of portrait I don't post them because people don't like to be expose online by estranger
    I get nice results with the a6000 but some times I get the look from people like with that little thing you taking my pictures plus I will like to see the advantage of a full frame sensor

7. Bill

Bill TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 22, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    Bill
    I'm afraid that the A7 and A7II are both too small to earn the admiration of the uninformed. If you don't have a reason to move to full frame, since you have lenses you love, I'd stick with the A6000.

Have a look here:

• Like Like x 1
  8. tomO2013

tomO2013 TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 11, 2014
    If I was in your shoes I'd go with the A7ii and keep your A6000 to have a very capable two body setup. The a6000 is fantastic and I would not give that up.

The original A7 with kit lens will give you OSS for that lens specifically. Other than price there are no advantages that I can see with going for this model.

The A7ii with the same kit lens will provide you with even better stabilization as Sony uses a hybrid approach to stabilization with both IBIS and OSS to give you the best of both worlds where you can benefit from it. For lenses without OSS you will still gain from the A7ii's IBIS - I've long felt from my OMD EM1 that IBIS is a huge practical advantage for real world shooting and something that is very hard to live without once you have gotten used to it.

In terms of build quality, the A7ii is considerably better built, but noticeably heavier (I like this), the original A7/r/s series feels a little hollow to me. It also uses the newer metal mount which plays nicer with larger adapted lenses.

Finally the differences in focus speed and accuracy are quite noticeable. Sony estimate 30% improvement over the original A7... from my tests, it depends on the lens, but differences are certainly very noticeable with S-AF. I notice a fairly large improvement with C-AF and tracking (lock on expandable flexible spot AF) that is unavailable on the A7.

Finally to your point on looking more pro. I always believe that it is the person behind the camera not the specific camera that makes you a pro. However I'm also a realist and can appreciate that there are those who are not into photography and who expect to see a photographer being paid a few thousand bucks to photograph their wedding, using a 'large' or 'pro' camera. Part of the beauty with mirrorless is that you can build it up from a smaller starting point to get something larger if that's needed. Put a battery grip on the A7 range and mount a fast FF lens and you get something that looks every bit as 'pro' as you get from Canon/Nikon.

• Like Like x 1
  9. p00kienrayray

p00kienrayray TalkEmount Regular

Jun 17, 2014
    Sounds pretty simple. If you will be using non-stabilized lenses a lot, then the $500 difference for the IBIS A7II may be worth it. Crop vs FF is a whole other debate for you.

• Like Like x 1