• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

A7 IV Release Date Confirmed...well, at least 99.999% sure...

Brownie

TalkEmount Veteran
Real Name
Tim
From the site:

I got a lot of feedback after yesterdays rumor and I can now confirm with 99,999% certainty that AT LAST we will get the Sony A7IV on October 21. The announcement is expected to happen around 15-16:00 London time. Stay tuned on SAR this day as I will liveblog the event (there might be a Sony livestream video too)

I'm figuring even with pre-orders no one will see this camera for a few months, and I'm betting not until spring for any kind of quantity.

https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/con...nounced-on-october-21-at-15-1600-london-time/

Brownie

TalkEmount Veteran
Real Name
Tim
View attachment 117281

View attachment 117282

The hawk is back, or a hawk, it's hard to tell. I know there's at least two that frequent this spot, this may make three. There's an area about 500 yards by 500 yards that these hawks seem to like. It must be productive. These shots were taken from about 100 yards away, the power lines on this particular stretch of road are set back that far from the road. I could have gotten a little closer if I would have walked through the corn field but I get a little spooked walking in cornfields in October. I like being close to (in) my car just in case. Corn fields and people travelling by themselves on lonely country roads typically don't end well in the movies.
Are you confused?

Brownie

TalkEmount Veteran
Real Name
Tim
Not an omen, then?

That's a shame. It would be a much more fun approach than Sony Alpha Rumours!

(I have to admit that I do take a daily glance at that site. Sometimes, even, at the comments!)
The last time I awaited a release for a specific camera I was thwarted by bad rumors. The specs didn't materialize, it was bloated with unwanted and unneeded video features, it was overpriced, etc. etc. ad infinitum. I ended up going a different way that worked out far better, albeit more costly, but was initially disappointed. I admit to being a bit exuberant in my hope that this time it works out. And at the same time I keep looking at M-4/3 and L-Mount rumors to see if there's anything there that might sidetrack me. I do love the Leica glass.

I was going after an A7III to begin with, then decided to wait on the IV. If it doesn't work out the way I want, I may still go after the 7III, or maybe an A9 since Sony has devalued it to something more realistic. Both could end up less yet once the IV is released. Either of those should be good enough even with the 3 and 4 year old sensors, although I am looking forward to the latest updates in processing and that abomination of a menu.

BTW, the comments are the best part! :rofl:

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
I think it is likely the new camera gets the new Bionz processing and menus. I never thought the old menus (current for me on A7Riii) were that bad and people would freak out because there were so many options due to the many features and extensive customization options. Still I would not mind, but am unlikely to ever get, the new menus via firmware without buying a new body. Which is likely some day.

My problem with waiting and then getting a brand new model has a few issues. There is cost, I nearly always buy used so but it is not an issue for everyone obviously. But then you will run into things. Your favorite editor may not fully support the camera yet. You wonder about some promising new option, but nobody knows how it works. Bugs, hardware or software, are possible. Availability of accessories - brackets, grips, etc. - may be limited or non-existent. I would much rather wait at least a few months and avoid the frustrations. Given the likely impact of semiconductor availability, you are also going to be waiting for a while unless you pre-order immediately, and maybe even then. Hopefully we will find out soon. The A74 is overdue.

Brownie

TalkEmount Veteran
Real Name
Tim
I'm lucky to have a local shop that matches internet pricing. Stopped by there today, $100 will get me in line. He said call as soon as it's announced and I can change my mind if I want.

I don't think processing will be an issue especially if they use the one from one of the more recent models, except maybe the profile won't be set up yet. As for accessories, I've never bought a grip, bracket, gimble, or any other camera-specific accessory other than battery. I'll need a flash and a second battery.

Like I said, I doubt anyone will see this camera in hand before late winter. There might be a quick limited release just so Sony can say they did. If that happens I doubt my local shop will even see one. They'll go to B&H, Adorama, etc. But that's ok, I won't miss a $100 placeholder for a few months.

And if it's too much more than the anticipated $2500, I will likely look elsewhere anyway.

Brownie

TalkEmount Veteran
Real Name
Tim
The semiconductors availability issue also makes the 2500$ price point hard to hit, everything with cpus/gpus at the moment is 2x or 3x on the market, I'm expecting the new body to be more expensive than that.
No no no! Trust the rumors! :hiding:

I don't think they can price it much more than that. It's still their midrange pro-sumer line. If you get much higher may as well get the A9II. They also have to compete against Canon, Nikon, and Panasonic. While Panasonic's FF L Mounts don't really get too deep into anyone else's pockets, they're still nailing the video market down across the board. Sony is in direct competition in that market and with the GH6 to be announced around the same time for around the same price with top of the line video specs and a rumored new 43MP stacked sensor (from Sony), they must keep their pricing competitive.

And bear in mind ALL camera companies are battling the same chip shortage. There is no advantage/disadvantage to one company over the next unless they're building their own.

SpecFoto

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Jim
I'm lucky to have a local shop that matches internet pricing. Stopped by there today, $100 will get me in line. He said call as soon as it's announced and I can change my mind if I want.
And if it's too much more than the anticipated $2500, I will likely look elsewhere anyway.
Brownie just wondering if you got to see the day before video review that Chuckles the clown..... err I mean Tony Northrup, "accidentally" posted on the camera. 33MP, still 10 FPS and with some blackout, side swinging screen, Dual UHS-II card slots but 1 is also CF-A type, locking button on the EC dial, updated Menus and faster AF. Looks to be a pretty solid upgrade and most likely has the added space between the lens release button and the grip, but the list price is $2,599 or $800 more than the A7III has been selling for most of 2021 at $1,799. Only $100 more than the rumored price though.

SpecFoto

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Jim
While the "Holidays" are upon us next month, with a brand new camera that might not even be available yet, I kinda doubt that Sony would discount it, even a $100 this year. So waiting for a while may delay your getting it and knowing how you are looking forward to this body, I say go for it, the possible small discount is nothing. This update, including a slightly higher price, seems worth it compared to others out there, as times have changed and all prices for almost everything are way up.

Last edited:

Brownie

TalkEmount Veteran
Real Name
Tim
VERY exciting stuff! BionZ from A-1, focusing from A-1, 5.5 stops IS 15 stops DR. Basically EVERYTHING the rumor sites said came true, including the 33MP backlit sensor. Oh...except for one thing...

Release price is $2498.00.

I am PUMPED. My deposit is made and my place in line is locked in. They said I'm one of the first in, although not sure how anyone could've beat me to the punch. I call shenanigans!

WOOT!!!

Last edited:

Latest threads

Top Bottom