1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

A7 II Super Quick First Impressions and SteadyShot Comparisons

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by DigitalD, Dec 11, 2014.

1. DigitalD

DigitalD TalkEmount Veteran

Mar 2, 2014
    Miami
    David K Fonseca
    So the A7II arrived today, a day later then I expected when I first put in the preorder but a day earlier then I expected from just a few days ago. I own the A7 and love it. It has become my go to camera. Reasons I felt the upgrade were important to me were, hated the original grip and button placements, no IBIS, a tad slow, poor video features. The A7II seemed to cover these very well. The things I wished for but didn't make the cut was, silent shooting and a newer improved sensor.

a381b436a00a60a0719a882b60064f1b.

1st impression out of the box are pretty consistent with what we have seen from online reviewers. Noticeably heavier but the grip is fantastic. Very comfortable shooting without a strap with a heavy solid metal lens like the FD 50mm 1.2L that I have on it now. Overall construction is VERY good. Buttons, dials and screen. Very smooth but solid movement and actuations. Startup time is fast. Almost instant for me in most cases. Shutter is definitely quieter but not stealthy by any means.

Things I'm not sure about yet. The front dial on the grip is a little hard to get to with my fingers. have to struggle a bit to get to it. Tilt screen is also hard to get to. Not a lot of edge to grab a hold of. The self cleaning shutter-clang at power down still happens sometimes. Also when you turn it on and the SteadyShot is engaged there is a small vibration in the body right at boot-up. I tried it a few times and got it to do it fairly constantly. EVF is not higher resolution to my eyes as once rumored. Seems identical to the A7.

K so now for a quick steady shot comparison. These are shot with the FD 50mm 1.2L. The steady shot ability with non electronic manual focus lenses was what I was most looking to get with this camera and so far I think its working really nice.

First set. Shot at 1/10 at f8 ISO 200 handheld with dim desk lamp as only source of light. I cropped in a lot. This figure stands at about 3.8" tall

Without SSI

IMG_0348-sm.
    Fullsize: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7404885/comparisons/IMG_0348.JPG

With SSI

IMG_0349-sm.
    Fullsize https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7404885/comparisons/IMG_0349.JPG

This next one surprised me so much that I had to take it twice to be sure. Shot at 1/6 at f8 ISO 50. Same desk lamp

Without SSI

IMG_0351-sm.
    Crop:
    IMG_0351-CROP.
    Fullsize: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7404885/comparisons/IMG_0351.JPG

With SSI

IMG_0350-sm.
    Crop:
    IMG_0350-CROP.

Fullsize: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7404885/comparisons/IMG_0350.JPG

So SteadyShot Inside is not too shabby on a 40+yo lens. Now I know some of us were wondering if the steady shot is engaged in the preview. Id say it is engaged with a shutter half press but using it on a 50mm lens is hard to tell. However when using the focus zoom feature, it doesn't seem to engage as I couldn't tell much movement change with it on/off. This weekend I plan on trying it on my 80-200mm and see how it fairs with the longer FL. So far so good though :cool:

• Like Like x 20
  2. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Thanks for that! I would love to see the results of a variable FL zoom using the "auto" FL selector which apparently is available in the menus somewhere?

Did you notice any differences with the EVF? Some of the Asian websites claimed it's a little bit more responsive or less laggy or something.

Finally, AF in low light... any difference? I know it's rated to the same EV as before, but that doesn't actually tell you where/when the camera starts to slow down. Would love to see what you think about that.

3. DigitalD

Mar 2, 2014
    Miami
    David K Fonseca
    The only thing I can comment on is the EVF. Doesn't seem a whole lot different from the A7 which is a little bummer. Same overall resolution. Ill probably need more time with it to see if it has picked up performance in other areas.

As far as auto focus and zooms go, someone else will have to give their review on that performance. I don't own any AF lenses for my Sony system at the moment. :coco: That may have to change sometime soon tho :biggrin:

• Like Like x 2
  4. OldNoob

OldNoob TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 30, 2014
    It's good to see them put the Steady Shot back inside the camera.

5. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Thanks for the early review :thumbup: The stabilization test shot of that figure is impressive!!!

First time I've heard that EVF is of higher res than A7...Specs said LCD screen was better/higher res than the A7. How do you find it?

6. fractal

fractal TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    Thank you!

7. DigitalD

Mar 2, 2014
    Miami
    David K Fonseca
    Yea I misunderstood the notes. What I was found were accounts that it performed better but I'm on the fence with it as a whole. I notice I am seeing a lot more noise in the evf then I do with the a7. But I need to do an apples to apples comparison with it.

8. tomme

tomme TalkEmount Regular

Apr 9, 2014
    Norway
    Tom Erik Sivertsen
    How do you like the shutter sound from it ? I own the a7r and I photograph landscape and street photography, i LOVE the a7r for landscape but for street it is so damn loud! So Im wondering to sell the r and get the new a7II.

9. TedG954

TedG954 TalkEmount All-Pro

Nov 29, 2014
    South Florida and NE Ohio
    Ted Gersdorf
    More sample pics. More sample pics. More sample pics.

10. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    73eac627e5488d96bfc541b289d50ec4.

Steady shot on 85 1.4 shot at f2 A7ii 100th of sec ISO 4000 very bad lighting. Jpg with little pp on iphone.

Will have some raw files tomorrow.

• Like Like x 6
  11. OldNoob

OldNoob TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 30, 2014
    Iso4000? Holy Carp man thats clean

12. Deadbear77

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    Actually I rechecked. I was wrong it was 125th not 100. But yes ISO 4000

13. Deadbear77

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    Also I noticed that you can shoot raw+jpg in picture profile slog-2. When I had the a7s I did not think that was possible.

14. Deadbear77

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    Did not mean to hijack the thread...[emoji6]

15. DigitalD

Mar 2, 2014
    Miami
    David K Fonseca
    No please. I have been working straight since I got it. Please keep posting! [emoji2]

16. DigitalD

Mar 2, 2014
    Miami
    David K Fonseca
    Definitely more dampned and less of that loud clap sound. But not stealthy either.

17. DigitalD

Mar 2, 2014
    Miami
    David K Fonseca
    Ok so finally home and playing around with my 80-200mm. The steady shot is way more noticeable at 200 mm. Also it's very comfortable holding the camera with this beast on it. A few other things I am noticing.

Menu and C3 buttons are much easier to get to then previously.

I was able to map the FL selection to C3. Very convenient for me to be able to make quick adjustments with a legacy zoom lens.

The higher resolution screen allows you to magnify the image in review a lot closer then previously.

Wi-Fi access is much more reliable

Emount is definitely more robust. I nice solid 'click' when you engage the lens

Not seeing steady shot when using focus magnification. Will have to check the manual to see if there is a way to engage it.

Here is two shots indoors and hand held.

200mm f4 ISO 100, with and without steady shot

86d94b645bf6a58c556a1b65692e59f2.

255abf5d6354d371fed1c7860faeb558.

Here is what the 80-200mm fdn looks like on it

cab8f83b69f626432144aa5328f9d5c1.

• Like Like x 8
  18. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    That's a cool feature. It seems Sony might be learning a thing or two about this whole user interface thing. The strides they've made since my old NEX-6 are impressive.

• Like Like x 1
  19. SRHEdD

SRHEdD TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 25, 2012
    Viera, Florida, USA
    Steve
    Mine is on the truck for Monday delivery!!! Can't wait!!!

Very nice ISO4000 sample, good to see it that clean, THANKS!!

20. jypfoto

jypfoto New to TalkEmount

Dec 13, 2014
    Looks great, I'm looking forward to seeing what a rumored a9 brings, but this looks much more practical for daily use, especially if the a9 is realky 46mp.

• Like Like x 1