A7 - help me pick my next lens

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by JimR, Dec 5, 2014.

1. JimR

JimR TalkEmount Regular

Mar 28, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Jim
    So I finally got an A7 with the kit lens. My budget will keep me using that lens for a while. I'm saving my $$ for my next lens and want to get input. Although I have a couple "adaptive" lenses I'm interested only in FE's at this point. Like the 55 F1.8, 35 F2.8, and 24-70 F4. All Zeiss glass. If you have any of these lenses I would love your impressions and experiences with them. Pros and cons, etc.. Feel free to post samples if you wish. I have other E mount lenses that I use on my NEX-6 and mostly shoot snaps of the grandkids and for serious work (for me) landscapes and cityscapes. Thanks!

2. TedG954

TedG954 TalkEmount All-Pro

Nov 29, 2014
    South Florida and NE Ohio
    Ted Gersdorf
    The 55 Sonnar is the major reason I've entered the mirrorless movement. The more I read about it, the more I wanted it. I received my 55/1.8 yesterday. Hopefully the A7II next week.

• Like Like x 1
  3. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I own the 35 f/2.8 and the 24-70 f/4. The 35 only gets pulled out on those rare occasions when I want to force myself to explore a single focal length. But more often than not I will choose the Canon LTM 50mm f/1.4 when I'm exercising those photographic muscles. The 24-70, on the other hand, practically lives on my A7.

A lot depends on what sort of shooting you're mainly interested in, but for me the 24-70's versatility trumps almost all other considerations.

• Like Like x 1
  4. rkworld

rkworld TalkEmount Regular

Aug 22, 2013
    NYC
    Roman
    The better question is what are you needs if you doing a lot of portraits, then you want 55, if you want general lens then you want 24-70, they all have their pro's and cons but you need to know what it is you want to shoot first

5. mattia

mattia TalkEmount Regular

Dec 13, 2013
    If you like the normal field of view the 55/1.8 is a no brainer. It's my favorite lens. In any system. Close second is my departed 135L from my Canon DSLR days, but the Fe55/1.8 is better.

Sent from my iPhone using TalkEmount

6. JimR

JimR TalkEmount Regular

Mar 28, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Jim
    Thanks folks for your input! Mostly I'll be chasing around and photographing the grandkids more often than not. Other than that documenting my travels so cityscapes, vineyards, and general travel destination. Sounds like the 24-70 and then maybe the 55 later. We'll see what my budget allows.

7. JimR

JimR TalkEmount Regular

Mar 28, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Jim
    Yes! That lens (55 Sonnar) does cause one to drool.

8. JimR

JimR TalkEmount Regular

Mar 28, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Jim
    I ended up going with the 24-70 f/4. I haven't really been able to really test it out with real world tests yet but it feels really solid. Perhaps heavier than I expected. Multiple family get together's this week so I should get a good idea of it's performance.

I've pretty much decided the 70-200 G is next on my want list.