1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

A7 firmware update screwed up the camera HEEEEELP !

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by izTheViz, Apr 8, 2016.

1. izTheViz

izTheViz TalkEmount Top Veteran

May 10, 2013
    Paris
    Yannis Marigo
    Guys,

I decided to update the firmware of my A7 to the latest version but the process failed in the middle of the update and apparently erased everything on the camera. Not more software.
    Tried to launch the updater again but of course, no reaction since the camera does not start up anymore. Don't know what to do ?
    Any idea ? How to reset and install the firmware now ?

2. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    Did you try removing the battery and SD card for a minute and try again. Sometimes this will get the camera unstuck.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. izTheViz

May 10, 2013
    Paris
    Yannis Marigo
    does not help...

4. izTheViz

May 10, 2013
    Paris
    Yannis Marigo
    no way. the a7 is dead:dash2::dash2:

5. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul TalkEmount Veteran

Feb 14, 2016
    Aberdeen, Scotland
    Paul
    I imagine you will need to send it away to get it repaired, it won't be terminal and may even be covered under warranty although no idea how much it would cost if you have to pay.

Paul

6. izTheViz

May 10, 2013
    Paris
    Yannis Marigo
    I guess so. Not more under warranty. And this will probably lasts weeks before I get it back. I am just about to go to Dubai and Oman and stand without camera ! Thanks Sony...

7. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul TalkEmount Veteran

Feb 14, 2016
    Aberdeen, Scotland
    Paul
    I've never had any issues....yet, but I feel your pain, ring or email a Sony service centre and see what they say, perhaps there is away you can restore it.

8. izTheViz

May 10, 2013
    Paris
    Yannis Marigo
    Tried the chat with the support. It's a joke, it does not work. Anyway. Bad day today.

9. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    :(
    I'm really sorry Yannis. This is truly terrible...

I've read stories about Sony cameras froze during a firmware update but most of the times (if not all) removing the battery and memory card (as Gary mentioned) did the trick in the end.
    Sorry I can't offer any advice but sending it in sounds like the best idea - perhaps not necessarily to Sony itself but perhaps a camera repair shop near you?

10. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    Yannis, I know you tried removing the battery, but try this too. I got this awhile back when I thought I bricked my A7. Sony calls it a power reset.

"Please test if Power Reset will solve the issue. Please make sure that the camera is in the Off position, remove the battery then switch it to ON for at least a minute. Turn off the camera afterwards and reinsert the battery."

oh. use the real Sony battery. For some reason I remember it not working with my aftermarket battery. I stopped using them every since. It can't hurt to give it another try.

• Like Like x 2
  11. izTheViz

May 10, 2013
    Paris
    Yannis Marigo
    Nope. No change. Thanks for trying to help. Strange thing is that when inserting the battery, the red light at the bottom right of the body remains on even if the camera is switched to off.

12. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Bummer man. I hope you can get a resolution

Sent from my SM-N920P using TalkEmount mobile app

13. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    How did the firmware update process failed? Camera or pc went to sleep mode or something?

14. izTheViz

May 10, 2013
    Paris
    Yannis Marigo
    Nope. It just stopped in the middle and raised an error message saying it will cancel the upgrade. That's it. Battery was 90% full. Crazy.

15. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Ah man. That truly sucks. But I think this is a message from the universe to go ahead and upgrade to an A7RII. :sorry:

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Red LED is usually indicative of read/write access to SD card.

From my Canon past, on models where the firmware was hacked, non-factory features were added by way of a file placed in the root directory of the flash card. Upon start, the camera reads the card and picks up the file before the EEPROM. Similar to BIOS instruction on sequence of search for boot up devices.

Perhaps, that's what is occurring. The firmware flash is corrupted, and the only valid 'device' is the SD. It would be a logical method to recover a bricked camera. We need a Sony expert to confirm this.

BTW, have you tried to power up the body attached to the USB? Grasping at straws, see if it will start in USB mode to flash again.

NOTE: There are posts about issues with flashing the camera with USB3 port, perhaps try a USB2 equipped PC?

Also, this might apply to your situation:

"Today I tried to perform update 1.20 on my a6000 followed all the instructions which I was already familiar with,
    to my surprise the strangest thing happened, in the middle of the update the process was aborted leaving me with a non functional a6000.
    I tried to turn it off but nothing was happening just a red light was on at the bottom of the camera I did the battery removal thing among everything else but the camera was still dead. My only solution left was to call Sony to inform them that my a6000 was bricked but consistence prevailed and I tried some more stuff. I close the update software turned off my iMac running 10.9.5 and restart. Replace the a6000 battery but the camera was still dead only the little red light under the bottom was on, I turned on back the camera relaunch the update software do the required and then plug in the USB cable to it, to my surprise the update restarted while the camera screen was still black which was always the case, I watched nervously to the end until I was prompted to hit the finish button, the screen lit up and I hit the finish button plugged out the USB cable and my a6000 was updated to firmware: 1.20, minutes after I went on a Japanese link which took me to another update 1.21 which I did with no problems and my a6000 is working perfectly now on 1.21. I don't know if this will help anyone but I'm just sharing my almost bricked a6000 experience and what I did to bring it back to life."

Last edited: Apr 8, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  17. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    "Honey...I bricked the A7!" Starring Rick Moranis. ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    I found the following posts on another site, I do no know if they will help but these people said it worked for them when they encountered what sounded like the same problem.

19. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    That's the light indicating SD card activity. Just an idea: try with camera ON and OFF if inserting a card will do something, maybe it tries to read a card forever. Also try another card, yours might just be corrupt.

20. izTheViz

May 10, 2013
    Paris
    Yannis Marigo
    Thanks guy for helping. Tried several things. Restarted the MAC, switched to a PC, even tried firmware 1.2. Does not help. Camera remains not detected and would not turn on. I am half way getting an A7 II.