1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

a7 firmware update, 3.20, 7/26/2016

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount News and Rumors' started by Dan Euritt, Jul 26, 2016.

1. Dan Euritt

Dan Euritt TalkEmount Regular

Jan 11, 2014
    EDIT: looks like the a7s also got an update, no firmware download listed for the a7r. Sony eSupport - ILCE-7S - Drivers & Software

UPDATE ILCE-7 System Software Update Release Date7/26/2016

Version3.20 File Size 182.27 MB DOWNLOAD
    File Description
    This utility updates the ILCE-7 camera firmware to version 3.20 and provides the following benefits:

Improvements over version 3.10:
    • Provides optimized performance for new lenses (SEL70200GM)
    Benefits provided by previous updates and included in version 3.20:
    • New lenses are supported.
      Note: Please refer to the latest compatibility information on the Web.
    • Phase-detection AF is supported
    • The lens name will be correctly recorded in the EXIF
    • The AF can be used in movie recording mode with the SEL85F14GM
    • The startup time is shortened
    • Improves camera function and provides picture improvement for the new lenses (SEL35F14Z, SEL24240, SEL28F20, SEL90M28G)
    • Improves the power-on time after downloading the Smart Remote Control application of the PlayMemories Camera Apps™
    • Provides support for the SEL70200G lens:
      • Supports the Fast Hybrid AF function and future Fast Hybrid AF compatible E mount lenses
      • Adds the Focus hold button function
    • Reduces start-up time: The start-up time has been reduced in cases when the camera is switched on immediately after being switched off
    • Improves image quality
    • Provides support for additional PlayMemories Camera Apps and additional features for previously supported apps:
      • Supports the Liveview Grading and Smooth Reflection applications
      • Supports the smooth automatic exposure feature in the Time-lapse application ver. 2.00 and later

Last edited: Jul 26, 2016
    • Informative Informative x 2
  2. DYNOBOB

DYNOBOB TalkEmount Regular

Feb 9, 2016
    Cincinnati, OH
    Bob
  3. izTheViz

izTheViz TalkEmount Top Veteran

May 10, 2013
    Paris
    Yannis Marigo
    Thanks for the update. However, when I tried updating to 3.1 2 months ago, the upgrade process failed in the middle and erased the current firmware. Had to send it back to Sony and it cost me 135 euros to fix it ....
    I think I will skip this update. I am leaving on holidays in 2 days if you see what I mean

4. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    To be honest, I think it literally means nothing. To prove this, just choose another A7 body and you will see the check marks change almost randomly. Why wouldn't the A7II be fully compatible with the 55Z, but fully compatible with the 35Z? In fact no E-mount body is fully compatible with the 55Z, even though most would consider it the mount's flagship lens. To make matters worse. according to this, the original A7 isn't fully compatible with any E-mount lens and the A7R is only compatible with 2 seemly random zooms in the 1635Z and the 25240. Looks like someone should call the webmaster.

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. DYNOBOB

DYNOBOB TalkEmount Regular

Feb 9, 2016
    Cincinnati, OH
    Bob
    I called Sony to find out what the "Fully Compatible" means. Select your body and click the lens to see what the specific "incompatibilities" are. In most cases it's a obvious detail we all know.

Captureaa.

Captureaaa.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2016
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Effortless update on my A7, noticed that it started up significantly faster unless the battery had been removed, a "cold" startup after inserting a battery is still as deadly slow as before.

• Informative Informative x 2
  7. SamSS

SamSS TalkEmount Regular

Oct 11, 2014
    Updated both a7 + FE 35mm ZA with new firmwares. AF single point @ f1.4 hunts like crazy in low light and hardly able to lock on.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. JonathanF2

JonathanF2 TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 16, 2014
    I wish Sony would open up the PDAF protocols to function with AF adapters. I'm debating selling my A7, since my A7 II gets most of the use nowadays.

9. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    My friend @Alex_Apo@Alex_Apo just helped me with mine and all good. I'll check tomorrow if
    I find any improvements with the 70-200 :)

• Like Like x 1
  10. greywater

greywater TalkEmount Regular

Sep 28, 2014
    With all the legacy lenses available, carrying two A7x makes good sense.

11. JonathanF2

JonathanF2 TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 16, 2014
    I've been eyeballing the Techart Pro AF adapter for MF lenses. The thought of getting AF with my Nikon MF glass makes my mouth water!

12. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    Keep us posted on that, would love to know how well it works.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Dirtistasty2

Dirtistasty2 TalkEmount Regular

Apr 10, 2015
    This is surprising! Possible to roll back?

14. WT21

WT21 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2011
    Were you behind in FW updates by any chance? Version 2.0 brought the start-up improvements. Only lens support is shown for the 3.2 upgrade, but if it includes a stealth speed upgrade, I'll risk it!

15. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Nope, previous version was 3.10, I have this neurotic tendency to keep up with software versions :).

16. WT21

Aug 7, 2011
    Cool! FW says nothing about other improvements, but I hope it proves out!

17. WT21

Aug 7, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2016
  18. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    sorry to hear that, can you elaborate on what is wrong?

19. WT21

Aug 7, 2011
    Steady red battery light, no response when switched to on. Pulled the battery for an hour to try and reset. Might try it pulled overnight, too

20. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Oh man, that sucks :(
    I gotta say, when I saw that last step take so long on mine, I was afraid but in the end all went good
    Hope you get it sorted...let us know