• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

A7 Experience - Interesting Contest

rkworld

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Roman
Cool, registered for next friday in NYC, will report back after

Thank you

dbmiller

TalkEmount All-Pro
Had I known sooner, I might have done the one this weekend in Mass. But there appears to be a second event at another store next month, so my daughter and I will try for that one.

dbmiller

TalkEmount All-Pro
@rkworld - Did you get a confirmation e-mail after signing up? I still haven't gotten mine.

dbmiller

TalkEmount All-Pro
Did the A7 Experience at Hunt's Photo in Manchester, NH yesterday. Some nasty snow yesterday, but they were open - Also meant we had much more time with the cameras since there weren't many people around.

Got to shoot with the A7R for about 90 minutes instead of the scheduled 20. They had a stage set up, and a model. We could shoot items on the staging, or use the model. I'm not good at giving directions, so shot mostly the scenery items.

At the end, I was able to put my own SD card in the camera and take a few shots to bring home.

Obviously, no difference in the feeling between the A7 and A7R. I'm used to the shutter on the 5n, and I really don't have any issues with the "noisy" A7/A7R. I shot mostly with my Canon LTM lenses, and mainly with the 85/1.9. I kept forgetting to stop down and shot mostly wide open. I didn't even turn on peaking, and just used the MF Assist to do my focusing. Unfortunately, the 85/1.9 is a bit soft wide open, so I didn't come away with many good shots.

20140119+A7r+Testing-3.jpg
   ---            

I did get to shoot with the FE 35/2.8 and 55/1.8 - Both very nice lenses! One feature I noticed yesterday that I hadn't noticed or read about before was while using MF with an FE lens. A distance gauge showed up at the bottom of the screen which would indicate the focus distance of the lens. Pretty cool!

36MP sure is nice, though...

20140119+A7r+Testing-1.jpg
   ---            

And 100% crop...

20140119+A7r+Testing-2.jpg
   ---            

Did the experience change my view of the camera? No, I don't think so. I think either camera is fine, and while I would love 36MP, I don't know if the extra cost is worth it over the A7. I would still love to see an IBIS version for the legacy glass.

Latest threads

Top Bottom