1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

A7 arrived -- some things

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by bobbywise, Nov 23, 2013.

1. bobbywise

bobbywise TalkEmount Regular

Nov 6, 2013
    Nantes, France
    Robert Wisbey
    I got the sony A7, and there are a few minor things bugging me:

- the native lens is always moving for AF -- what I mean is that when set to AF-S, the lens will keep trying to focus in the focus area even if the shutter release button -- I personally find this strange -- does anyone know if it can be disabled while AF-S is still on ?

- imagine I want to use the flash manually with the camera set at 1/250 s and a low ISO. Imagine the room is dim -- if I set a low ISO (needed because the flash will fire) the screen is really dim and the EVF is a fair bit brighter but still somewhat DIM, and it's not good for composing. I'm forced to compose in auto ISO, then switch to the ISO I want before shooting. It's a shame you cannot set the ISO, but have the screen/EVF use auto-ISO for previewing -- maybe there is a way to configure the screen/EVF to be independent of the ISO setting you configure ?? I don't think this is needed in non flash usage settings -- just settings where you want to manually use the flash in a dim environment

- you cannot do raw processing in the camera like you can in the pentax Q and the fuji cameras (and probably other cameras) -- this seems a big omission

- I was expecting lens correction to allow you to put the name, along with setting the parameters -- however the function seems very basic

Overall it's a nice camera, but the points above hold it back a little.

2. bobbywise

Nov 6, 2013
    Nantes, France
    Robert Wisbey
    For my second point, I can make the screen brighter (like it is within the EVF) by setting Live View Display : Setting Effect OFF (by default it's on)

• Like Like x 2
  3. bobbywise

Nov 6, 2013
    Nantes, France
    Robert Wisbey
    For my first point, it's controlled by the Pre-AF setting (which is on by default).

• Like Like x 2
  4. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Thanks for the first impressions.

Both of the first two issues are the same as my NEX-6. And you may have to excuse my ignorance, but I don't see what advantage there would be having in-camera raw processing. I want to have a large monitor when developing my raw files. A tiny screen would seem inadequate. But perhaps there's something I'm not considering. Feel free to set me straight.

• Like Like x 1
  5. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    It's nice that it's defeatable, my NEX-6 won't let me do that.

6. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    I think the A7 might be the worst camera out there for my needs, except for everything else. :p

• Like Like x 2
  7. bobbywise

Nov 6, 2013
    Nantes, France
    Robert Wisbey
    I'll probably write up a little review of points when I have played further.
    I understand that many (or most ?) people prefer to process raw on their computer, however I still think it's nice to have the option in the camera. The fuji bodies make nice out of the box processing. I could imagine it being useful if you wanted to post a processed image while on the move. I'm not after lightroom in the camera, but the kind of thing that the fuji and pentax bodies off.

For the lens correction menu, it's real basic. Basically the three lens correction functions can be set to only off or auto. There's no additional parameters. I'm sure the lens correction app that you can buy has more functionality than the one I the A7.