1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

A7 and A7R coming from NEX-6...are they actually slower shooting? And other Qs....

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by shaolin95, Nov 4, 2013.

1. shaolin95

shaolin95 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jul 3, 2013
    So I own the NEX-6 with many lenses now. Some legacy too.

Am I understanding this wrong or are the A7 and A7R slower at shooting continuously compared to my 6? I thought the 6 did 10fps vs 5 or so for the new cameras.
    That will be bad for my intentions to use it when doing hockey for example.

Also, I guess I am not clear on legacy lenses and these new cameras.
    Since those lenses where for 35mm cameras, shouldnt my legacy lenses by a great match for a FF camera now?

Anyone considering the same upgrade?

Regards

2. uhoh7

uhoh7 TalkEmount Regular

Nov 3, 2013
    Way slower FPS :(

Way louder shutter :(

Way bigger sensor :)

No more crop on 35mm glass :) :) :)

3. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I'm considering an upgrade from my current NEX-6 to the A7. And I don't really care about fast fps shooting, so that shortcoming doesn't make much of a dent in my desire to upgrade. And yes, legacy lenses that were designed for 35mm film should be in their sweet spot with these full-frame sensors.

4. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    That seems to be the case for the A7R (with no electronic first-curtain shutter), but from what I've been able to tell from the few people who've used one, and the few videos posted so far, the A7 shutter is about the same as the NEX-6.

5. shaolin95

shaolin95 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jul 3, 2013
    mmm so plus with the legacy lens but con with the slower fps ... Like I like having that burst of speed in some cases like figure skating, hockey, soccer or even at the zoo during the bird show when one is flying by. Not so sure now about the A7...