1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

A7 and 28-70

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by Rich, Dec 11, 2013.

1. Rich

Rich TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 20, 2012
    Salisbury UK
    Richard
    Had a look and a play with the A7 and kit 28-70 at London Camera Exchange in Salisbury today. I didn't have much time so didn't take it out for a test drive.

Is there any opinion as to the quality of the kit zoom?

I have heard it is pretty good at the wider end, but somewhat soft at the longer end. Any members have any experience they would care to share?

2. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    • Like Like x 4
  3. lowincash

lowincash TalkEmount Regular

Dec 21, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Kin
    It's an okay lens. The copy I have is very sharp in the center and okay on the right corners but pretty soft on the left side even when stepped down to f8. Similar to one of the SAL1650 that I tested while I had the NEX6 a while back. It's just going to be my travel lens to take snap shots and stuff since it's weather sealed as I will probably use my legacy lenses more on this camera.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Rich

Rich TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 20, 2012
    Salisbury UK
    Richard
    Thanks for those replies.

It would seem from the lack of replies that there is not a lot of "user" experience out there as yet. My enquiries so far would suggest that this lens is probably another poor offering from Sony. I was very tempted to commit to the camera, but given my experience with both 16-50 and 18-55 I thought it better to hold off for a while.

I think I'll come back to it next Spring and investigate the Zeiss lenses.

A7 looks to be very good camera with a few features that I could certainly do with though!

5. Snowy

Snowy TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    Melbourne, Australia
    Barry
    Rich, I purchased the 28-70 kit lens with my A7. I can share a couple of my initial photos with you if you like. I don't think I have given it a good workout as yet, preferring to use my Rokkors.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Rich

Rich TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 20, 2012
    Salisbury UK
    Richard
    Thanks Snowy. I have gone ahead and bought the A7 and kit lens, for better or worse. I would like to see some of your pictures if you can point me in the direction of some.

I haven't had the chance to try it yet as the weather is not good, maybe later today.

I have heard that it is pretty good at the wide end, but not so good at the long, is this what you are finding?
    Its seems most reviews of the camera are with either the Zeiss lenses or old manual lenses such as Leica. Nobody seems interested in testing the kit lens thoroughly. Or not that I can find anyway.

7. Snowy

Snowy TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    Melbourne, Australia
    Barry
    I'm confident you will really enjoy your A7. I'll put up some samples using the kit lens for you somewhere and let you know. You will be able to use yours soon enough I imagine. :) I haven't taken enough photos with mine to be able to properly answer your question as yet, sorry.

One reason I got the kit lens was for any future sale of the camera, as a lens my wife can use, to use it on my NEX 6 and as a backup. At the price it is a good buy.

8. Rich

Rich TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 20, 2012
    Salisbury UK
    Richard
    Thanks Snowy.

Weather is looking better for tomorrow (Tuesday) so, hopefully, I will be able to get out and give it a try.

The idea of using it on the NEX 6 is interesting, I hadn't considered that. Have you tried it yet?

I stopped using zooms a long time ago and have been walking around with various primes, all of which add weight and bulk to my bag. It would be nice to go back to a single zoom, if I can find one that gives me the quality I need. I'm praying that the kit lens will do that until I can get to try the Zeiss version, which one assumes will give the better IQ.

I would like to see some results from other people, so if you have anything on Flickr, or the like, I'd love to see it.

9. Snowy

Snowy TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    Melbourne, Australia
    Barry
    Rich, I have sent you a link in a PM.

I think the kit lens should be fine for general use, especially as an interim until you get a Zeiss 24-70, which will be nice. I'm not envious at all! The kit lens is no doubt made to a price but it is light and has a useful, if short mid range. It works well on the NEX 6 too but oddly is not showing up as the lens used in the EXIF data for some reason.

10. Rich

Rich TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 20, 2012
    Salisbury UK
    Richard
    I have now answered my own question. The lens is Lousy, with a capital L.

I'm seeing the same as lowincash, not bad centre, ok to the right, but soft to the left. At least Sony have achieved a certain consistency there!

So, I guess I explore the Zeiss lenses now!

The A7 is obviously very good judging by the examples people have posted using adapted manual lenses, I may have to explore this avenue aswell. Its frustrating that an obviously great camera has its potential stifled by a second rate kit lens. But I guess one has to accept this as a fact of life, it is after all, only the beginning of a new relationship. :)

11. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Wow there must be some sample variation... is it a decentered lens? SoundImagePlus just had a glowing review, certainly more positive than the ERphotoreview link above.

• Like Like x 2
  12. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    So Sony seems to continue a tradition here of subpar manufacturing and/or quality control. I'll get a 28-70mm for my A7 one day, but I'll buy it second-hand from a disappointed user who upgrades to something else. I'll use it for snapshots and bad weather because it's a cheap weather-resistant lens.

13. LightCentric

LightCentric TalkEmount Regular

Mar 17, 2013
    Saginaw, MI
    Andy Richards
    The whole draw, to me, has been the Zeiss lenses. Have the 24-70 on pre-order

14. Snowy

Snowy TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    Melbourne, Australia
    Barry
    After using it on a few occasions, including today at a family gathering I couldn't recommend the 28 to 70 kit lens now. I'm getting much better results with my manual focus Rokkors and wish I had taken some of those with me today.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Could you tell us what the short comings were? What didn't work for you might be fine for someone else if the issues are known. Thanks!

16. Rich

Rich TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 20, 2012
    Salisbury UK
    Richard
    To be fair to Sony, I think the lens is probably very good as a general purpose lens for most users. It responds to a bit of sharpening and will allow people to get some fairly good prints.

As a general purpose kit lens, my experience sits right in there with that of the 18-55 and 16-50 i.e. a little bit too soft at the edge and corners for my needs. Stopping down to f8 does not seem to make any appreciable difference. If I wasn't solely focussed on producing pictures that consistently pass the quality control standards of agencies and stock libraries, I would no doubt stick with the lens. As it is, it will follow the 18-55 and 16-50 onto eBay fairly shortly and be replaced by a Zeiss. I would happily look at any offering from Sigma should they wish to enter the EF market, and I'm sure they will in due course.

I may also explore the adaptor/manual lens option which seems to be working well for a lot of members over the next year.

Not sure that the above really helps anybody, just my findings for what they are worth.

• Like Like x 4
  17. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Thanks , that's very useful info.

18. Snowy

Snowy TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    Melbourne, Australia
    Barry
    Bimjo, I had a small selection of Minolta Rokkors waiting for when my A7 arrived, which came with the kit lens. As you might expect I was soon out taking shots with them all. I did nothing scientific to test them but after a very short time found I was not touching the kit lens. I was getting even better results with the Rokkors than I was getting on my NEX 6. Due to this thread I took a bit more of a look at the kit lens but was finding it a bit soft and it lacked that special something I was getting used to with the Rokkors. Using those in the spare time I have had to date has been my main aim.

Yesterday we had a gathering for some of the family in a park but there was a bit of light rain so I just took the weather sealed A7/28-70 combo. We ended up indoors in an area with what I thought was plenty of available light. The photos were just not as sharp as I was expecting when viewed at 100% later*. I had set it on Auto as I had others take some shots**. It is not really a fair comparison as some of those Rokkors when new would have been very expensive. If I view some of the shots taken with say the 50mm 1.4 there is just so much detail I am amazed.

A better comparison might be is it as good as my 16-50 NEX 6 kit lens is on the 6? I'd say not actually. My perspective has changed somewhat recently and if I was placing my order today I would have just got the A7 body. If I was buying my 6 again I would happily get the 16-50 kit lens with it. Now, the A7 kit lens works better in my opinion on the NEX 6 and that is where it might see service. In good conditions the 28-70 is probably fine, just not a lens I can rave about.

*ISO varied a bit, ranging from 200-3200

**Yes, it took some effort to overcome my reluctance to hand over the A7. :)

• Like Like x 5
  19. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Well, you rarely get that kind of info in camera gear reviews. Thanks again for taking the time. :)

• Like Like x 1
  20. Rich

Rich TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 20, 2012
    Salisbury UK
    Richard
    Following on from from a point made by Snowy, I have tried the kit zoom on my NEX 6, which personally, I found to be as equally disappointing. eBay here we come again!
    I'm sure somebody will find it useful! :)