1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

A7 an overkill for a mirrorless newb?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by p00kienrayray, Jun 17, 2014.

1. p00kienrayray

p00kienrayray TalkEmount Regular

Jun 17, 2014
    Hi, I have someone wanting to sell me a like new a7 for $1100. Can't deny it, the specs and the full frame was what attracted me. But am being told that full frame is an overkill for what I want it for.

I have a Canon 5D Mark II for events, and a 50D crop body as my daily walkaround camera (I literally carry it with me everywhere I go 90% of the time) just in case :p. I'm finally getting tired of carrying a DSLR and whipping it out on a daily basis, so I've been looking at replacing my 50D with a more portable mirrorless body. Don't want to adopt a new system, so will pick up an EF to E mount adapter.

Here's what it will be used for:

1. Daily walkaround camera--cityscapes, street photography
    2. Baby pics/family portraits at home
    3. Travel camera, occasional landscapes
    4. Backup to my 5D2 (weddings, birthdays, photoshoots etc.)

*For all of the above, I'd like to be able to blow up prints to at least 20x30
    *I hardly do sports or wildlife, so don't care about fps bursts

What I like: full frame in small factor, high resolution, high dynamic range, high ISO,
    What I dont like: Slow AF with EF adapter

Do you think a7 is a reasonable choice? Or is it an overkill?

2. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    For you, and what you are planning on shooting, yes the A7 is probably an overkill.

I have the NEX-6 and love it. As a casual enthusiast, I find all my needs meet.

That said, if you have the funds, you can't go wrong with the A7. The A7 gives you even more flexibility, but at a cost.

The biggest consideration would be the large printing format. The A7 will give you the most flexability for this.

• Like Like x 1
  3. jai

jai TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 4, 2013
    You won't really get great portability if you are using EF glass via an adaptor on an A7.

You will probably end up wanting at least one native lenses for that, and the FE lenses are pretty expensive.

So you have to figure on spending over $2k on your A7 system.

On the other hand, you could get an A6000 with a nice small prime like the Sony 35mm F1.8 for less than that $1100.

The A7 might well be worth it though, especially if you really value the full frame field of view with your Cannon lenses.

• Like Like x 2
  4. dragion

dragion TalkEmount Top Veteran

May 8, 2014
    Boston, MA
    William
    I have to agree with both Dave & jai...the A7 based on your list of needs will be overkill.

I myself coming from a Nikon and looking for a good lightweight travel/all purpose camera and decided with the A6000.
    Amazing little camera that produces excellent images.
    I have collected several e-mount lenses to take advantage of the incredible AF system.
    I also purchased the Fotodiox Pro NIK to NEX adapter to use my Nikon lenses too.

I would recommend the Sony Alpha A6000 with the Zeiss Sony Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm f/4 ZA OSS Lens...will make a great walk around combo.
    Unless full frame is a necessary requirement, then by all means go for the Sony A7.

Good luck on whatever you decide.
    :)

• Like Like x 1
  5. p00kienrayray

Jun 17, 2014
    No full frame is not a requirement. Not sure if it ever really is for anyone. Just a really bad want. The EF glass is gonna stick out like a sore thumb, but I only shoot a 50mm and 28mm prime as a walk around so it won't be too bad. Pair it with a canon 40mm pancake and I'll be closer to the native lenses.

Would have to research the a6000 some more. I have read that it's very close to the a7 besides the obvious crop sensor. I DO have the money to get the a7 body, but lower price is always a plus.One thing that does irritate me is the position of the evf. Im left handed and tend to use my left eye more, so i wonder if the evf on the left side would bother me.

6. dragion

dragion TalkEmount Top Veteran

May 8, 2014
    Boston, MA
    William
    I'm left eye dominate and I have no issues with the EVF.
    The only thing is...how big is your nose? :biggrin:

• Like Like x 2
  7. p00kienrayray

Jun 17, 2014
    Lol I do have a rather large nose... Just accustomed to the centered ovf of DSLRs.

• Like Like x 1
  8. LightCentric

LightCentric TalkEmount Regular

Mar 17, 2013
    Saginaw, MI
    Andy Richards
    I agree with the previous posters. I have both a NEX-6 (other than sensor MP, not a huge difference from the newer 6000) and an A7. I moved from a FF Nikon D800 and big "pro" lenses. When you start mounting quality glass on the A7, it starts getting big (still) smaller than a comparable DSLR, but not really enough for "comfortable" travel portability in my view. I find myself using the NEX-6 and, surprisingly, the "kit" zoom (the newer, smaller one) pretty often just because it is so small. It is almost point and shoot size, but gives me essentially all the advantages of a DSLR setup.

I have been pleasantly surprised with the IQ of this combination (have 30 x 40 ish print hanging on my office wall that is pretty darn good). I am thoroughly impressed with the AF performance (like you, don't shoot sports or wildlife - and wouldn't recommend this for that), the low light capability, the Dynamic Range capability and the overall handling of this camera. You will quickly get used to the positioning of the EVF. It is not really a problem.

• Like Like x 2
  9. bobbywise

bobbywise TalkEmount Regular

Nov 6, 2013
    Nantes, France
    Robert Wisbey
    I'd say don't bother with an EF adaptor to rely on AF -- it's way too slow.
    To be honest, most mirrorless systems aren't really pocketable (except M43 with the 20 and 14 mm pancake primes).
    If you do end up getting the A7, the FE55 is a must have.

10. p00kienrayray

Jun 17, 2014
    Not really looking for it to be pocketable, but after playing with it at the local camera store, I do realize that it's not too much smaller than a dslr body (it seemed more shorter in height than width or thickness vs. my 5D2). And yea, I know AF is slow, was planning to MF with focus peaking. Although I do need aperture controls.

I'm still on the fence, but if I do get it, I will look for the 55 eventually.

11. ilovehatephotography

ilovehatephotography TalkEmount Regular

May 30, 2014
    Los Angeles, CA
    Ed
    Another idea, get rid of both the 5D2 and the 50D, and jump into the A7. :)

I've shot with the Canon 5D2 since 2009 when it first came out, and when I recently moved into the A7, I had absolutely no regrets. AF is 90-95% comparable to the 5D2 when shooting with the 55mm f/1.8. Unloading your EF lens gear probably won't be difficult. You may be first annoyed with the Sony menu system because it is vastly different from the Canon, but the 50% weight savings alone is worth it to me.

• Like Like x 1
  12. p00kienrayray

Jun 17, 2014
    No, no no NO!:eek: I wish I can part with my 5D2 and EF glass. But I've been through a lot just building up my system. Not just the body and glass, but flash, grips, batteries, filters, other accessories and nick nacks. I've unloaded my 50D and my EF-S glass, and that's been a little difficult to do. Actually I still have an EFS Sigma UWA that I can't get rid of. If anything, I'd rather be poor and hang onto my EF system + adopt the Sony FE system if I REALLY need the AF.:frown:

• Like Like x 1
  13. ilovehatephotography

May 30, 2014
    Los Angeles, CA
    Ed
    I gave my entire EOS system (5d2 + 7 lenses + accessories) to my retired father so he can enjoy it. It was tough to let it go I must admit. Haha

Sent from my iPhone using TalkEmount

• Like Like x 1
  14. p00kienrayray

Jun 17, 2014
    Oh OK well giving to a close family member is a different story.. As long as they use it.
    Since you're recommending native lenses (there's hardly any), some guy is offering me an a7 1,100 clicks + extra battery + 55fe + 35fe for $2400. Good deal or not so good?

• Like Like x 1
  15. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Killer deal! :thumbup:

• Like Like x 1
  16. ilovehatephotography

May 30, 2014
    Los Angeles, CA
    Ed
    It's like getting a free lens. My a7+55 is $2500 new

17. AndyWear

AndyWear TalkEmount Rookie

Jan 1, 2014
    I don't see how for 1100 the A7 is an overkill based on what you guys are saying. He's basically replacing his 5d2, a full frame camera for something smaller, using it for family photos, streets etc. I use full frame a7 for all those purposes, and I find them every bit much worth it. Image quality in a tiny thing is great, especially for that price.
    I also use the kit lens on it all the time and its actually quite nice. That acutally makes it half the size, and probably 3 times less weight. I used a 5d3, with 24-70 on it. It is huge and much heavier. Carrying that around for street photography is kind of a pain in the ass.

• Like Like x 2
  18. ilovehatephotography

May 30, 2014
    Los Angeles, CA
    Ed
    Totally agree. Now let's complain how Canon totally dropped the ball on FF mirrorless cameras. Haha

19. p00kienrayray

Jun 17, 2014
    Bit the bullet and bought an a7. Now to decide whether to buy the expensive metabones adapter or cheap Chinese knock offs.

20. p00kienrayray

Jun 17, 2014
    I've decided to take your advice. Put up my 5D2 for sale as well. Figure that from the feedback of DSLR-turned-A7 owners, I don't really need the 5D2. I will use the A7 as primary camera including photoshoots, and will either rent or borrow a full frame DSLR body for events if the A7 won't suffice.

• Like Like x 1