1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

A7/A7R owners: do you have a squishy mount?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by suntoryjim, Feb 9, 2014.

1. suntoryjim

suntoryjim TalkEmount Regular

May 17, 2013
  2. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Yep, mine (A7) does that too. I'm guessing that you're really moving the total mount/sensor assembly and frankly I'll try to ignore this kind of stuff as long as I don't encounter any real problem myself.

3. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Mine doesn't flex anywhere to as close as that picture, but there is a tiny bit. I think that's necessary engineering so the mount can take a drop or two.

4. suntoryjim

May 17, 2013
    Here are my results testing for light leak on my A7 with a black Sony body cap pointed at a window on a heavily overcast morning:

A7 shot at ISO 25600, 30 sec:
    A7_ISO_25600.

A7 shot at ISO 12800, 30 sec:
    A7_ISO_12800.

To rule-out issues with the body cap, here is the same body cap on my NEX-F3 shot at ISO 16000, 30 sec:
    F3_ISO_16000.

On the extreme end, here is the same test, but with a halogen bike light pointed directly at the flap-side of the mount from 4 inches away:
    A7_ISO_25600_flaps.

And here is the same test with the bike light pointed at the bottom of the mount:
    A7_ISO_25600_bottom.

And lastly, from the grip side of the mount:
    A7_ISO_25600_grip.

Worth noting that there is almost no light leak from the top portion of the mount, which makes sense if flex is indeed engineered into the mount to prevent stress from heavy lenses and/or accidental drops.

5. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Mine has maybe 0.1mm flex if I press very hard. I'm tempted to say no flex at all.

6. suntoryjim

May 17, 2013
    Did more testing on my light-leak issue. I sealed one half of the body cap to the mount along the side adjacent the port flaps (which is the "squishiest") with electrical tape. I performed the same ISO 25600 test pointed at window light and got a completely black frame.

I then cut the tape thin enough to only seal the gap between the red ring and the chrome mount (and not touching the body cap), performed the test shot again and got a black frame.

So it looks like there is a gap between the red ring and the chrome mount surface. Not sure how this would constitute as "weather sealed", but if light can get in, I'm pretty certain that water can find its way in as well.

Anyway, the fix to the $1700/$2400 problem is 2 inches of black electrical tape. My red ring doesn't look as cool anymore, but neither does purple flare. ;)

A7_lightleak_fix.

7. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Have you considered contacting Sony about a warranty repair?

8. suntoryjim

May 17, 2013
    I'm still within my 30 day return with B&H, which is an option, but I don't feel that B&H should take the hit for this. The problem is well-documented on the web, and Sony should simply come out and admit that there is a problem and issue a recall. I'll just wait and see what happens over the next 2 weeks and decide then if the camera goes back, or if it gets repaired.

One would expect a higher level of quality control at the A7/R price point. There is no reason why I should be able to demonstrate that my well-traveled (and slightly abused) NEX-F3 is more impervious to light around the E-mount than my 1 week old and babied A7. :(

9. Mattithjah

Mattithjah TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 17, 2013
    Czech Republic
    Matěj
    Ufff, ufff, pretty crappy stuff!!! Send it back... Huge amount of impudence, when SONY sell it for that money!

10. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I don't believe that they will. I just had to return a brand new printer for exchange with them, and during my discussion with the customer service rep, he mentioned that I had to make sure to return everything because otherwise they wouldn't get credited by the manufacturer. I had asked about keeping the ink cartridges because they were opened, and no longer of any use to anyone but me. In any case, I think Sony will get hit with the return, not B&H. It's worth a phone call, don't you think? After all, it's a brand new camera with an obvious defect. Good luck!

11. suntoryjim

May 17, 2013
    Ah, good to know. I've set up an exchange with B&H, but more importantly, have posted my concerns on the on-going topic of the A7/R Light Leak over at Sony's community forums.

12. John D.

John D. TalkEmount Regular

Oct 7, 2013
    Oh crap.... On my A7r - my len's mount is pretty danged solid - BUT - I just tried your test for light leaks - and I can replicate the light leak you are seeing.. Doing the same test with either my NEX 7 or 6?? Nothing - zilch...

I'm so discouraged, as my wife gave me this for Christmas as I wanted to start shooting for a local gallery. I've just sold 3 prints - and they have my portfolio in for review - so this a "double whammy"...

Anyway - in practical terms, how much should I be concerned - as I'll probably never push anything above 6400 ISO - and if I do, it will probably be lower light? I know it's not really the point, as the A7 or A7R community really shouldn't have to have to deal with this, but - I guess we are.. So - my question is - have you done any other testing to find out where this anomaly starts rearing its ugly head..? I know - it's very subjective, but - I came to this site first to try get more info...

And of course - to cry on your collective shoulders ;) HA!!!

My thanks...

John

13. suntoryjim

May 17, 2013
    In your case, I wouldn't worry about it all, especially if you have a solid mount. It most likely won't affect your photos at any ISO.

I often shoot night landscapes when I travel, and long exposures when shooting water, so the light-leak issue is a bit of a concern for me. I haven't done any other testing, but will do so when my exchange A7 arrives.

• Like Like x 1
  14. John D.

Oct 7, 2013
    My sincerest thanks for your input - and please do post back on how the replacement A7 compares in this regard, OK?? If Sony has made a manufacturing change to eliminate the issue altogether, I may go that route simply based on principle... Anyway - again - simply - thank you!

John

15. suntoryjim

May 17, 2013
    Will do. My pleasure. Enjoy your camera. I miss mine. Having to revert to using a single dial on the back of my NEX-F3 to control everything is a pain, and crop mode on my FF legacy lenses is not fun anymore. :(

• Like Like x 1
  16. John D.

Oct 7, 2013
    LOL!!! It's funny you say that - as it's exactly right!!! I used my NEX 7 for the first time since the A7r arrived with one of my FF Nikkor lenses on Monday of this week - and asked myself "why"?? HA!!

My sincerest thanks again for your replies and your assistance!

- John

17. suntoryjim

May 17, 2013
    If you're not following this group on Facebook about the light leak issue, one owner who took his concerns to Sony said:

"I went to the Sony store and they immediately acknowledged the issue. The company did broadcast a communication on how to address it..."

https://www.facebook.com/groups/461231693985556/

18. John D.

Oct 7, 2013
    Perfect - my thanks!!! I just put in a request to join that group...

Again - my thanks!

John

19. José De Bardi

José De Bardi Assistant in Virtue

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    This that FB group is about to not know what hit it in terms of new member requests!

20. lowincash

lowincash TalkEmount Regular

Dec 21, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Kin
    Interesting. I just did that 30 second test thing and results are below. I pointed the camera out my window, sun is setting so but still light out. Maybe I'll try this test again tomorrow to see if there's any difference.

Here's with the body cap on @ 30 sec ISO25600. When I was viewing this on the camera there was a very very tiny bit of light leak I think, but just a black image when I uploaded the image to my computer.

Here's one with the kit lens and cap on, 30 sec ISO25600.

Here's with the CV lens mounted using the hawk's helicoid adapter @ 30 sec ISO25600. Lots of light leak!

I'll try again tomorrow when it's brighter outside to see if I get the same result or not.