A7/A7R macro options?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by duvinclunk, Mar 16, 2014.

1. duvinclunk

duvinclunk New to TalkEmount

Mar 16, 2014
    So I'm considering upgrading to the A7 from a smaller sensored camera. I do a good amount of food photography and need access to a macro lens. I know the rumor is that a macro will be coming but I'm trying to decide whether to take advantages of these discounts going on right now. I'll need to sell my other system to fund the switch and am wondering what would be the options for macro usage for the A7(r) platform as I don't think I could wait until later portion of the year for Sony to release a FE macro. What are you using?

2. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    I've been using adapted old manual macro lenses for product shots. I'm very partial to my old Leitz R system (Leica SLR) 60mm & 100mm macros but I think there's a whole bunch of stuff out there that would more than do the trick.

You could even have autofocus with Sony A-mount or old Minolta Maxxum lenses and the LA-EA4 adapter.

3. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    There are lots of option for macro esp if you don't need af. Since Sony will release a macro, you can get an old adapted lens like a cheaper Tamron adaptall for the time being. I assume the macro lens release is at least 6-9months ahead per Sony lens schedule eg we are still waiting for 70-200 release:

Sony-FE-full-frame-lens-roadmap.

Translated:
    1485866_731901596820653_807795231_o_zpsf28fc95a.

If you are looking for af/OSS, you can get Sigma 105mm OSS Sony mount w/ lea4 adapter or get Canon mount macro lenses w/ metabones af adapter. Again these cost more.

Attached Files:

4. pworden

pworden TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 26, 2013
    State College, PA
    Patti
    I believe the Metabones will crop to APS-C size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. mattia

mattia TalkEmount Regular

Dec 13, 2013
    The metabones adapter is full frame.

6. pworden

pworden TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 26, 2013
    State College, PA
    Patti
    Good to know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. duvinclunk

Mar 16, 2014
    Wish we had a better idea on the time frame of the FE macro. Are Sony's G lenses any good?

8. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    http://www.sony-mea.com/microsite/dslr/09/gLens/

9. duvinclunk

Mar 16, 2014
  10. paul01071968

paul01071968 New to TalkEmount

Feb 18, 2014
    colwyn bay north wales gb
    paul
    I shoot macro with tamron 90 f2.8 the images are so sharp you could shave with them .

Sent from my GT-P3110 using TalkEmount mobile app

11. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Hey Paul, welcome to the forum. :)

The Tamron 90mm macro lenses have been very well regarded for a long time. One of these days I'll get off the dime and pick one up.

12. duvinclunk

Mar 16, 2014
  13. Mattithjah

Mattithjah TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 17, 2013
    Czech Republic
    Matěj
    This one is with VC optical stabilizer, new version, better built (nothing moving during focusing..) I dont know if VC will be running with some "clever" adapter… But I thing older version without VC is opticaly the same (it means excellent), VC is not necessary with 90mm on FF and for magnification about 1:1, and this old version is much cheaper, about 300$ used… And yes, some test results said, that this lens is a little miracle if we are talkig about difraction limit… Nobody knows why, but with for example Nikkor 105 VR difraction comes earlier… I dont remember it exactly, but difference maybe f13 vs f20 or something like this… It counts especially when u use it on hires crop sensor.

Matej (sent from phone)

14. Austrokiwi

Austrokiwi TalkEmount Regular

Feb 2, 2014
    22nd District Vienna
    Ian Fenn
    I use the following Macro lenses: Sigma EX 105mm( My only AF lens) until the FE comes out, Minolta MD 50 & 100 mm, Canon FD 200mm F4 macro. Of course all have their advantages but my favorite is the MD 50 mm macro, followed by the canon.