1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

A7/A7r Flash Bracketing?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by John D., Jan 24, 2014.

1. John D.

John D. TalkEmount Regular

Oct 7, 2013
    OK - I'm stymied (<--- not the first time - probably definitely not the last, either!! ;) )

The Sony materials say that the A7/r (both) do flash bracketing? Really?

OK - by comparison, on my Nikons - I set BRACKETING by usually +/-2 EV in the menu system. Then, I shoot all in either Manual or Aperture priority - and I turn the flash on which is set to TTL. Next, I shoot the first image, wait for the flash to recycle, shoot the next image, which the camera has set automatically to -2 EV, then wait for the flash to recycle - and the camera takes the last image at +2 EV. Pretty simple...

Now, about my A7r...

With a Sony MI flash - I have ZERO idea how to do flash bracketing? Every time I set the camera to Single Image Bracketing - it says it's not available (with the flash attached on powered?)in manual, A,S or program mode?

Anyone have an idea how to do Flash Bracketing w/TTL on the A7/A7r?? While I haven't tried all the combinations of settings yet - I hope one of you fine folks can give me a hint..??

My thanks and best to all for a wonderful weekend!

- John

2. John D.

Oct 7, 2013
    Well - I'm still stymied... The Sony HVLF20M MI that I just bought does NOT do flash bracketing...

Any help? Any sympathy? Anyone reading this??!! :D ;) :)

John

3. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I'm reading it. But I never use flash, so... can't help. Sorry.

• Like Like x 1
  4. John D.

Oct 7, 2013
    Well - as long as I know I someone feels my pain..?? ;)

Anyway - if I find an answer, I'll post back, OK??

My sincerest thanks!!

- John

5. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Wish I could help :(
    ....hope you figure it out soon :)

6. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Apparently I'm reading this. Always frustrating and downright maddening when you buy new stuff and you expect it to do whatever normal stuff does and then it doesn't...

My A7 with a Minolta 5600 HS-D doesn't take multiple shots when I set it to continuous bracketing and switch on the flash. It does when I switch off the flash so it looks to me like intended behaviour. When I set it to one of the continuous shooting modes the camera fires irrespective whether the flash is capable of firing. So I'm guessing flash bracketing is indeed not in the works, at least not with the flashes we're speaking of here.

• Like Like x 1
  7. John D.

Oct 7, 2013
    Ad,

Thanks so much for the feedback and the assist! I'm wondering if it works with the Sony HVLF43M ($400..??!) rather than the HVLF20M (I just bought the HVLF20M).. But, I'm a little more then reluctant to toss $400 in that direction in the name of "testing", however..

Anyway - I guess I'll continue to use my Nikons for my real estate photo clients until we can figure this out..?

To Ad and all - my thanks!!

John

8. BlueBill

BlueBill TalkEmount Regular

Jan 6, 2014
    Toronto
    I've got a HVLF43M and a NEX 6, I can try it out when I get home tonight. Although it's not a A7 the results should be the same if it's a flash feature.

How do I test flash bracketing?

• Like Like x 1
  9. John D.

Oct 7, 2013
    Hi Bill..!

Many - MANY - thanks for the offer!!! Unfortunately, as I understand it - "flash bracketing" is a A7/A7r feature, unfortunately..

However, I "owe you one" for your fine offer!!

Many thanks,

John

10. michelb

michelb TalkEmount Regular

Oct 27, 2013
    Greater Montreal area in Quebec, Canada
    Michel Brien
    It is available using regular bracketing but the flash has to be mounted and switched on first.

Page 203 of the ILCE-7_7R_guide_EN.pdf available on the support site mentioned in the instructions manual

When the flash is used, the product performs flash bracket shooting, which shifts the amount of flash light
    even if [Cont. Bracket] is selected. Press the shutter button for each image.

• Like Like x 1
  11. John D.

Oct 7, 2013
    Hi Michel...

You might be my hero!!! While I thought I tried that - I'll give it another go... As well - if IT WORKS, I promise to name my next born after you..! But - I wouldn't get my hopes up if I were you? At 58 years old, I'm pretty certain it's a false promise ;)

Anyway - I'll try it when I get home - and again - THANK YOU!

John

12. John D.

Oct 7, 2013
    Hi Michel,

Again - my sincerest thanks! After trying this for some time, I'm guessing that flash bracketing on the A7/A7r is reserved for Sony's higher end flashes, as it is a "no go" with my HVLF20M MI..

Anyway - my thanks again for the assist!

John

13. michelb

Oct 27, 2013
    Michel Brien
    After your last post, i tried my A7R with HVL-F20M in A mode at ISO 400 at F 5.6 with continuous bracketing 3 images with 2 EV difference and it worked

I also tried same 7R in with same settings but with older HVL-F20AM using ADP-MAA adapter and this also worked

Maybe you are using an exposure mode or creative style that does not support flash bracketing (or bracketing)

• Like Like x 1
  14. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Works for me too with the A7 and Minolta 5600 HS-D.

• Like Like x 1
  15. John D.

Oct 7, 2013
    Umm - what mode are you guys getting this to work in..??

You guys are terrific - thank you!!!

John

16. michelb

Oct 27, 2013
    Michel Brien
    Read my post above for the mode i used

A lot of features don't work in the all auto modes. Read the manuals even though they are probably the worst i have ever seen for any camera. Flash modes and use are scattered all over the place in these and you really need to scroll through all the pages to get a better idea of what can/can't be done and how.

No wonder Gary Friedman sells a lot of books. I actually look forward to his future book on A7/A7R to catch the tricks i may have missed

• Like Like x 1
  17. John D.

Oct 7, 2013
    Apparently - I had as much luck retaining what you posted in your previous post as I did in "skimming" the manual..?? ;)

Where is my second cup of coffee..??!!

HA!!!

My thanks again!

John

18. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    M mode in my case.

You can't be serious. I've tried to read through the manual to pick up stuff and failed miserably. And then you must know that I had no trouble reading through original patent applications in the past. You may have a point in principle, but in this case I feel everybody needs all the help they can get to find out how the camera works despite having a pile of useless paper or bits that Sony misleadingly calls a manual.

• Like Like x 1
  19. michelb

Oct 27, 2013
    Michel Brien
    I am serious but let me explain:

I will often try to get instructions even before purchasing a camera or other sophisticated accessory. This way i can evaluate if i see do many incompatibilities or don't do's that may be important to me
    I will have a quick look at what it is i am not familiar with and concentrate on this so i can anticipate the items i may have trouble with later on

Now a newcomer may have to read a lot more than you and me but whenever he is interested in doing something unusual he knows the camera can do, the first place to search would be the manual(s). Now i know sometimes there are 3 of these for some new cameras ( Quick start, User Guide and Handbook) but if you never actually looked at them you will never find any answer because you will get fed up after 2 minutes of searching. If you at least peeked through them, you have a better idea of where to search.

Call it overkill but i downloaded ALL of the instructions i could find for ALL of the equipment i have and this is now on my iPad as pdf books. I will usually carry the iPad when on a trip so i get access to ALL of my instructions in case i need to do something special or uncommon that i may forget the how-to. At last count i had 7 sub sections for cameras/flashes/meters/ studio equipment and these represent a total of 86 manuals for my Autocords/ flash and color meters (how often do you use these ?)/ Minolta Bodies/ flashes ( each model has its own quirk when try to go wireless or trying to change some unusual setting) / and even some lenses that have special features. I even carry books from Gary Friedman about Minolta 7D, A77 and NEX-7 that i purchased and i sometimes get faster answers there and tricks to use more efficiently.
    These don't take that much space in the iPad and are ZOOMABLE to help my 57 year old eyes.

In this case i was just a matter of peeking through pages that related to Bracketing to get the answer. The trouble with this new type of manual is the index i just found after 2 months is not that easy to use.

In another post about uneven colors with A7, where EFCS ( except it is now called E-front curtain shutter in the new manual for A7) was the accused, i had read about this in the NEX-7 and A77 manuals so finding it in the A7 was not that difficult.

• Like Like x 1
  20. John D.

Oct 7, 2013
    Actually - I own an NEX 6. And an NEX 7. And now - and A7r.

Flash bracketing was new to the A7r.

Thanks for the assist in any regard.

Have a nice evening.

John