A6600 Manual

Richard Crowe

TalkEmount Top Veteran
The A6600 is a wonderful camera but, setting it up for various types of shots can be daunting at times.
I missed a shot yesterday because my A6600 was not set up correctly. The U.S. Air Force Thunderbird flight team did a fly by in my city of Escondido, California in honor of medical personnel and first responders. I wanted to frame the shot to include our local hospital and decided on a position from which I had an unobstructed view of that hospital. My rationale was to capture the aircraft as they flew by the hospital...
I was using a 70-350mm /4.5-6.3 G OSS lens on the A6600. The camera was set up in manual mode with a shutter speed of 1/1,000 second and Auto ISO. I was at 70mm to include the hospital...
The route of the flight surprised me. It was not anything like the local newspaper had diagrammed. The planes came in in differently than I expected and I only had a second or two to photograph them rather than a couple of minutes. Compounding this, when I viewed the image, the viewfinder was quite dark. As a result, the image was not what I wanted. I they did not fly near the hospital as I expected and because the image in the EVF was so dark, I couldn't get a good view of what I was shooting so I left the focal length at 70mm. As a result, the shot was not what I wanted, since I had to crop it drastically.
I realized as an after thought that I had the EVF brightness on manual and had not adjusted it since I had done some indoor shooting wide open.

Thunderbirds_2111.jpg
Become a member for free to remove site ads and see EXIF info for images.

I should have adjusted the brightness of the EVF but, would have needed to go into the camera menu to do that but, I wasn't sure how to do that. I decided that I wanted a ready reference manual for the A6600. I downloaded a Kindle copy of The Dave Bush's Guide to the A6600
https://smile.amazon.com/Buschs-ILCE-6600-Digital-Photography-Camera-ebook/dp/B086MBVH3M/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1WSENHZ3XRJEA&dchild=1&keywords=a6600+guide+book&qid=1589639742&s=digital-text&sprefix=A6600+guide,aps,196&sr=1-1
I found that this is a very good, easily used manual for my camera. Even though I have owned this camera for several months, I have learned some new things about the A6600 while reading this book. I think this is a great manual to accompany the A6600. I have a small kindle reader which weighs almost nothing and which I can slip into my photo vest pocket or into my camera bag for ready reference while I am out on a shoot.
Another advantage of having this manual on my Kindle reader is that I have several other books which I can read to pass the time while I am waiting for whatever action I want to photograph.

Last edited:

Thad E Ginathom

TalkEmount Regular
Changing a setting in a Sony menu is not something that fighter planes give a man time to do!

I like Busch's books too. I bought one for my a6000, and then got the a6500 book to tell me what's changed. It is the manual-plus-howto book that ought to come with the cameras!

And... it's a pretty good pic for one that went wrong! :)

Latest posts

Top Bottom