1. Welcome to TalkEmount.com—a friendly Sony E-mount camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

A6500 worth the premium over the A6300?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by JonathanF2, Feb 21, 2018.

1. JonathanF2

JonathanF2 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2014
    Los Angeles, USA
    I'm looking to supplement my A7II with a smaller APS-C body. I like that I can use the 28mm f2 and 85mm 1.8 FE lenses with a FOV of 40mm and 127.5mm. The A6300 bodies seem to be selling for much cheaper and I can use my AF adapters from my A7II on that body with the phase detection.

The only thing I'll be missing is the IBIS from the A6500. I love having stabilization on my M43 gear, but I've been thinking about consolidating to an all Sony kit. Though for the price of the A6500 I'm wondering if that money is better spent on another FF body?

What do you guys/gals think? Is the A6500 price worth it or should I just get an A6300 and use my A7II when I want IBIS? Thanks for any opinions!

2. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    i had a full day outing with the a6300 and i was poised to get it, just a few weeks later the a6500 was announced. I was stunned, I had nearly purchased the a6300... For me, the IBIS was a no-brainer, hands-down reason- to buy over the a6300.. as an owner of the a7ii I was quite happy with what it was capable of, and very ready for that in my upgrade for the nex5r .. the a6500 hasn't disappointed . . I've shot very little video, but it hasn't overheated on me a single time. I do live in ohio, and it is winter, so take that for what it's worth.

that said, I'm considering selling everything I currently own, and don't use often enough, minus the a6500, and pray i'm in sight of the a7rIII

• Like Like x 2
  3. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount All-Pro

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    I was skeptical of how much difference IBIS would actually make to me, even though most of my pictures are handheld. I was wrong. I did not even realize a lack of steadiness on my part was causing slight blur on some images, until I got the A7ii and I saw that problem dramatically reduced, and I credit IBIS for that. It depends somewhat on the lenses and subjects you use, but I am not sure I would buy a body without it now.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 14, 2016
    Aberdeen, Scotland
    Paul
    Myself and Mike (on here) both have the A7R2 and the A6300 and both love the A6300. IBIS is something I've always just seen as a nice to have, for me I've found good technique and using suitable shutter speeds by upping the ISO where necessary produces fine results. The A6300 provides a smaller lightweight option that is still compatible with all E mount lenses.
    For a while now I (and I know Mike is the same) have been using the A6300 almost exclusively and the poor old A7R2 doesn't see the light of day, there's a lot to be said for lightweight, small size and portability.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. WNG

WNG TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    You already have two FF bodies. Adding a third isn't gaining you much flexibility that you don't already have in FF.
    Given the heavy use of manual-focus lenses and the TAP, you will get much more versatility out of the a6500. You sacrifice IBIS with the a6300, especially if you are replacing an Olympus with IBIS. Currently, your systems all have it. And you'll find a need to alter your shooting to the lack of it with the a6300. Of course you can get great shots from a non-IBIS camera, but there better be more positive reasons to step backwards. Some sacrifices aren't justified by the savings in cost, IMHO. Unless you're getting an a6300 for a steal.
    Besides the IBIS, the a6500 brings additional improvements over the a6300 to justify it. Buffer, 8-frame burst w/ EVF/AF tracking and refresh, improved AF, improved video (rolling shutter aside).

I'm not putting down the a6300. It's the camera all a6000 owners wished it was. The non-IBIS a6xxx bodies have one more plus over the a6500. That lack of IBIS not only means a smaller-lighter body, but also a more robust body. It can handle more rough treatment. The sensor is rigidly attached, it can take a tumble, fall or a lot of vibration better. There is no worry of 'Sensor Hang'. This is one reason I don't plan to part with my a6000. It's ideal for traveling through the rough stuff, ie. off-roading on two wheels.
    Also the style of shooting comes into play. I like landscapes and nature, IBIS doesn't gain me a thing when using a tripod for most of my shooting. But given that you shoot street and models, at times in low natural light, IBIS would benefit you so much.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    I think most of your points are valid Will, but I feel obligated to point out to the OP that most of the stated AF related features are actually the same. The differences are negligent. Aside from the buffer and touch screen AF.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Christop82

Christop82 TalkEmount Regular

Aug 24, 2017
    I still feel like the a6500 is overpriced. I know it's updated AF and video are top notch, but I can't see myself paying more for it than the A7ii I purchased...
    As long as I can purchase a nice MFT body and a Pro lens for less than a used A6500 body, I'm going to hold off.

8. JonathanF2

Aug 16, 2014
    Los Angeles, USA
    That's kind of how I feel. Though if you compare it to the other top tier crop sensor action cameras, the A6500 is actually the cheapest compared to the E-M1 II, G9 and the X-H1. Maybe I'll go lurk on Ebay and see if any deals pop up! :D 

9. WNG

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Thanks for the correction, Gary. They came out in so close a time frame I couldn't recall which feature was released with which model. Getting old! ;) 
    I recalled reading the a6500 improved the contrast detect algorithm for better low light AF performance though.
    Between the two, if looking for a nice used bargain, I'd still opt for an a6500.

10. AlwaysOnAuto

AlwaysOnAuto TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Feb 17, 2015
    I know that going from my A7ii to my Nex-7, the biggest problem I have is forgetting that the Nex doesn't have IBIS. I have to THINK more about shooting technique when shooting the -7 whereas I'm a little more 'carefree' with the ii.

11. mstphoto

mstphoto TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 26, 2016
    Aberdeen, NE Scotland
    Mike Stephen
    A high percentage of my shots are with the a6300 tripod mounted so although IBIS would be nice to have, I think the a6500 would be a bit of an overkill for my type of photography.

12. JonathanF2

Aug 16, 2014
    Los Angeles, USA
    You convinced me! Even though I have the opportunity to purchase an A6300 for a good price, the A6500 is what I really want, especially coming from Olympus. 5-axis IBIS, on-sensor phase detection and AF lens adaptability is what I've been waiting for in a cropped body!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    my first reaction when they released the a6500 so soon. (months?) after the a6300 was their own acknowledgment of whatever issues may plague it...

you won't be disappointed

• Like Like x 1
  14. JonathanF2

Aug 16, 2014
    Los Angeles, USA
    I tested my 28mm f2 and 85mm 1.8 on the A6300 and I was pretty happy with the results. I think having the A6500 IBIS will make these lenses even better. It also fills in my lens gaps with FF by giving me a 40mm and 127.5mm on the aps-c sensor. I crunched the math and it makes sense I pay more for the A6500 as opposed to spending more money on stabilized lenses!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. bobbill

bobbill TalkEmount Regular

Oct 27, 2017
    Two things came to mind, from old film guy just learning digital...What really got me into digital was the 6300...just did it and I could use old lenses.
    But, I do not think IBIS is a biggie. Not the way I shoot. And, I still use old ways, like I set camera to A with an f8 opening and let it rip. Just missed a really decent "steet shot" for trying to "do" too fast and a slightly longer lens would have been best...but not compared to losing or missing shot for being too cute!

• Like Like x 1
  16. Jbphotography

Jbphotography TalkEmount Regular

Feb 9, 2016
    UK
    I looked at 6300, 6500 and the A7ii when I was upgrading my Nex6 and ended up with the 6300. I am also in the position of having a FF camera with IBIS (Pentax K1 in my case) and was looking for something smaller. The huge difference in cost between the 6300 and 6500 was a significant consideration as was the absence of a built in flash on the 6500, something I want on a "grab and shoot" camera. The IQ on the 6300 is excellent and the kit lens isn't too bad, you just have to be aware of the lack of stabilisation if using a non-native lens.

17. WNG

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    The a6500 retains the built-in flash. Did you mean the A7ii?

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. TedG954

TedG954 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Nov 29, 2014
    South Florida and NE Ohio
    Ted Gersdorf
    I purchased a new A6300 today for $699. It will replace my A6000 (for sale) as my travel camera. I will be using OSS lenses and the IBIS is not an issue with me.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. JonathanF2

Aug 16, 2014
    Los Angeles, USA
    I was all set to add an A6500 to my kit, but now I'm thinking of going A7III + A7II, though I like the fact that I get a bit of crop reach with the A6500 and I also get the silent shutter as well. Man, I can't decide! :D 

20. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    My next camera will be a6500 to pair with my ARII. Me being primarily a landscape/cityscape shooter I just want a more action oriented camera for when I need speed.

I want the reach and the AF capability for kids sports, birding, action. I know the A7III has great AF, but the a6500 was designed for action. It has faster FPS, a bigger buffer, and 8FPS Live-view continuous shooting with minimal lag. Basically looks like an OVF which is huge for action like BIF and Sports.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.