1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

A6500 or A7ii?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by Bryan Jefferies, Oct 14, 2016.

1. Bryan Jefferies

Bryan Jefferies TalkEmount Regular

Jul 20, 2016
    Texarkana, TX.
    Bryan Jefferies
    Just came into a little extra cash and am trying to decide on what to do. Being that I'm a fusion shooter (photography & video) I see a need for both of these models. The new a6500 could be a third 4k cam, helping me nail down a good 4k multi cam setup, where as the A7ii would give me another full frame body and enable me to shoot dual full-frame with primes during wedding receptions. I keep flip flopping back and forth. Somebody help me...

2. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul TalkEmount Veteran

Feb 14, 2016
    Aberdeen, Scotland
    Paul
    I think only you can answer your question as only you know why you want another camera.
    You have to ask yourself why you want another camera and what priorities you think are most important.
    Whats lacking in your current lineup and what qualities in a camera will fill those best.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Bryan Jefferies

Jul 20, 2016
    Texarkana, TX.
    Bryan Jefferies
    Well I'm thinking I have more holes in my photography side than on the video end of things. Not ever owning or having the opportunity to own or shoot an A7II I'm concerned how well it focuses in dim light. I know it depends on the glass and doesn't have as many focus points as the a6500 has, but most of the time I'm a center focus then re-compose kind of guy. If there are any of you that own both an A7RII and A7II I would be happy to hear how much different your focusing experience has been. I currently own an A6300 and can produce nice images with it but I still seem to prefer full-frame for better light, better bokeh, and better lens choices.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Bryan Jefferies

Jul 20, 2016
    Texarkana, TX.
    Bryan Jefferies
    UPDATE....
    OK, I went a different route. Took the money and invested in glass. Got the 24-70 GM coming today and sold the F4 version last night. I will miss the compactness of the F4, and really never had any issues with sharpness, but the extra light and bokeh have been haunting me. Hope it's worth it...

• Like Like x 2
  5. Jonathan Thomas

Jonathan Thomas New to TalkEmount

Oct 29, 2016
    Hi Bryan, I just signed up, so I missed giving you my assessment. Since you've already made the purchase I'm sure you will enjoy the GM. On my end, the A7R2 goes for repair next week and I am now considering purchasing the A99II whenever one comes available. I still have 8 A mount Lenses lying around.
    lets stay in touch and Ill try and visit with you sometimes when I'm in East Tex. Here' _DSC0240.jpg
    s one of the images from Last week.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Bryan Jefferies

Jul 20, 2016
    Texarkana, TX.
    Bryan Jefferies
    Hey Jonathan,
    Great Shot. Haven't even looked at my footage as of yet. Dang I've been busy... Shot 2 weddings the weekend I shot with you, then a bridal session, an engagement session, a 2 day (Friday and Saturday) wedding, and then yesterday a concert by our local symphony orchestra and choir. Trying to catch up now on some much needed editing. Holler at cha later.

7. Bryan Jefferies

Jul 20, 2016
    Texarkana, TX.
    Bryan Jefferies
    Oh yea... Got the 24-70GM in and love it. Haven't shot it at a paying gigs yet, but will this weekend. Also am suppose to have a Sony FDR x3000 action cam and remote in the mail tomorrow. Trying to use this for a light weight stabilized rig for special shots during the wedding day.