a6500, a7II or a99

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Tony08, Jan 23, 2017.

1. Tony08

Tony08 New to TalkEmount

Jan 23, 2017
    Hello everyone I have a Canon Mark IV and use it a lot but recently I been traveling a lot and some times feel a little unsafe. It's a big camera and gets a lot of attention where I feel like I'm going to get robbed Also it is heavy and a lot of times I'm hiking up Mountains or doing a lot of active stuff that requires me to carry the camera for hours before I go to my hotel.

Recently I was traveling with my buddy and he had the A6300 I felt like that was the perfect size and did most the things I need it to do, I loved the fast FPS on the camera. we where shooting Motor GP that day but I uselessly use my camera to shoot nature outdoors stuff ( waterfall, diving, animals ) I also use it take pics at night at the beach and so on.

** I looked at the Sony line of cameras and could not make up my mind, what do you guys think would be the best camera for me to get for my use?

Thank you everyone in advance

2. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    i'll let the pros weigh in first. but really your first choice should be which mount you want to get behind A-Mount or E-Mount. Both have their pro's and con's. How invested are you in canon glass?

3. AlwaysOnAuto

AlwaysOnAuto TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 17, 2015
    I vote for the one that FEELS best in your hands. Go handle each of them, I know there is a difference between them, what feels good to you?

My A7ii feels good to me, just like my D7000 did when I first got it. The Nex-7 took some getting used to, but I still have it and use it too.
    Ergonomics is big to me and how I relate to a camera.
    YMMV.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Tony08

Tony08 New to TalkEmount

Jan 23, 2017
    I was thinking about the e mount.
    In the canon I only have 2, so I'm not really That invested in it and I'm not really doing anything professional even though a lot of people tell me that's a professional camera I just use it for the things I listed on top

5. Tony08

Tony08 New to TalkEmount

Jan 23, 2017
    I have never used any other Sony cameras only the a6000 and I love the size of it and how that felt, I know that one's a little out of date so I was hoping something new were so I don't have to upgrade in a couple of years from now I want to buy something where I can have for 5 or 6 years without having to worry about upgrading

6. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Well, that excludes me from giving you any advice, Tony. 5 or 6 years was 2 different systems and 4 camera bodies ago. And a whole mess of lenses. :laugh:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Wow Wow x 1
  7. WNG

WNG TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    If APS-C is satisfactory, then the choice is clear, a6500. It has all the advancements to date from Sony, the form factor fit in with an active lifestyle, yet you don't sacrifice picture quality. The lens options are more and more affordable in APS-C. All FE lenses will work on the a6500. As well as Canon, Nikkor, legacy manual focus lenses.
    It can be stealthy thanks to its small size and paired with a small lens, it doesn't attract negative attention.

No reason to go A99 unless you've already owned Alpha bodies and lenses. Not much improvement in size wise over your Canon.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Tony08

Tony08 New to TalkEmount

Jan 23, 2017

9. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    The A6500 is the clear choice in APS-C. If you were interested in full frame, there is a sale going on with trade-in bonuses, see Sony Trade In Program + New Instant Rebates

Edit: In case you wondered, yes I do shoot an A6000 not A6500. While it is still plenty adequate for me, if I was looking for 5-6 year life I would probably want to get the A6500.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  10. mstphoto

mstphoto TalkEmount Veteran

Feb 26, 2016
    Aberdeen, NE Scotland
    Mike Stephen
    If I were in your shoes, it would have to be the a6500 + Zeiss 16-70.
    This equates to 24-105 in full frame terms which to me is an ideal focal range.
    You mentioned that you enjoyed using your buddy's a6300 so nows your chance to be one up on him :D

Mike

• Like Like x 2
  11. JMM

JMM TalkEmount Regular

Jul 29, 2016
    John
    I have similar dilema, those are my thoughts:
    - For roughly the same price i can get a7mkII or a6500, and... they are about the same size, with a7 slightly taller and about 100g heavier. Why would i pick aps-c if i can get full frame? Size difference seems neglible to me, and 5 fps is plenty good enough for me, as i found using my a6000 99% time on low, sometimes on medium.
    - If going pocketable a6000 with kit 1650 was really small and light, that was great. But despite few rare aps-c lenses, all other jars for FE-mount are GARGANTUAN and compact form / lightweight factor is lost. So i would stick to aps-c glass here, hence no need for full frame...
    - E-mount is lacking long telephoto which i had strong desire for, so i've bought A-mount 150-600mm glass. Also good E-mount jars that interests me are HUGE, HEAVY and EXPENSIVE so i went with Minolta 100 2.8 and 50 1.4 and im considering another one or two wide angle lenses from minolta legacy collection. They are very cheap, deliver great IQ, have similar size and weight including adapter (in fact... they are smaller and lighter in the bag, as adapter only add weight and size once...) with only downside of very loud autofocus and few (in times when i was shooting canon 15 was luxury :) ) AF points on LA-EA4. Currently im using a6000 and LA-EA but i plan to upgrade body mainly for steady-shot so i have strong dilema about A-mount or E mount (from E-mount i've had most APS-C lenses but kept only Samyang 8mm and SEL50F1.8) body with LA-EA4... If only they could make LA-EA4 mkII...

So i think that if i want pocketable setup i would stick with A6000 and kit lens for super compact or 1-2 primes and for compact high iq. I have troubles to justify high price tag on high end aps-c bodies as i would rather pick full frame.

And if i went FF i have troubles to justify calling E-mount as compact and lightweight... so why not A-Mount?

And if going cheap without sacrificing IQ... i dont think anything can beat A6000, La-ea2 and bunch of minolta glass.

Despite no answer given, hope that can help you to choose :)

• Like Like x 1
  12. WNG

WNG TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    The rebuttal is simple, why E-mount? To get all the advantages mirror-less will offer over the traditional DSLR/A-mount platform.
    I think the complaint about not having AF zooms or telephotos for E-mount is moot. The real complaining is not having fast native zooms that are also affordable. ;)
    With the Metabones and Sigma MC-11 adapters, all the excellent Canon EF mount lenses are available to the E-mount shooter.

If I was starting from scratch and didn't already own an a6000, my money would be placed on an a6500. The a7ii gets you full-frame and better ISO performance. Nothing else.
    It's due for a revision. The updated memory/buffer architecture in the a6500 is a game changer. It's a serious action/wildlife camera platform. It can be conveniently small when necessary, plus it can shoot 4K without shutting down like the 6300. And Sony finally added a touch screen for focus point selection.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Tony08

Tony08 New to TalkEmount

Jan 23, 2017

14. Tony08

Tony08 New to TalkEmount

Jan 23, 2017
    Thank you for all the great info on helping me make up my mind.

15. Tony08

Tony08 New to TalkEmount

Jan 23, 2017
    I think my hart is set on the A6500. the extra money i be saving from not getting the 7 would go to a nice glass.
    I want to get it before the end of the month got a trip lined up and want to use it, maybe will go in to Bestbuy over the weekend.

16. bdbits

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    I would not say size is irrelevant; there is a difference.
    Compare camera dimensions side by side

As to lenses, I mostly use legacy glass, but for me the native lenses would be ok. Telephoto is weak unless you want to spend a lot of money, and they are pretty big, but since I do not do much thus far in telephoto it is not a big deal. For me.

I'd put money on the successor to the A7 incorporating all the new tech in the A6500. For now, the A6500 is pretty awesome even if it is APS-C.

17. Gary Alan Box

Gary Alan Box TalkEmount Regular

Oct 3, 2015
    Northampton
    Gary Alan Box
    Hi,

First I would make sure you like a digital viewfinder as opposed to optical one on your Canon. I actually prefer digital but there are some that don't like them but I just don't understand their argument. I would personally go mirrorless. In terms of image quality both the APS-C and full frame Sony cameras are outstanding. The APS-C ones have the viewfinder off to the left. If you use your right eye anyway then great. If you use your left eye then you might prefer a viewfinder in the centre.

The advantages of the APS-C as I see it is that the decent quality lenses tend to be much cheaper than the full frame lenses of similar quality. The downside though is that there are less lenses but for most people they have enough for most shooting subjects and styles. Sony do seem to focus more of full frame lenses these days though. You can use full frame lenses on the APS-C of course but in my opinion if you buy lots of full frame lenses you may as well use them on full frame body.

Between a model like the a6500 and A7II I would say the former is much more advanced and highly specified. If you don't need incredible AF and over 10 frames per second then you might find the A7II the better option.

You say you are looking for a camera for next 5 years or so. In the Sony world things change so often. For the sort of money you are thinking about spending I would perhaps consider buying at the cheaper end but upgrading more often. I use the a6000 which is still an incredible camera. Many of the improvements in the a6300 and a6500 are more for video. If you need 4K video then a6000 is not for you but if it's mainly stills you shoot I would think about getting a6000 now and then in another 2 years see what is available in the Sony range. The a6000 is so cheap it's a no brainer now. In 2 years you might find the likes of a6500 are greatly reduced. You might also find that what you could spend on a A7II now might buy you a A7RII when the next generation is released and existing models start to get reduced.

Lots to think about but I don't think you will regret going to mirrorless or indeed to Sony.

Gary

18. bdbits

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    Partly because of the pace of change, and partly because I am cheap :), I usually buy used copies of camera bodies. You can save a lot of money, and upgrade more often than if buying new. As long as you use a reliable source (I like keh.com) or can be confident of who/where you are buying from, it is not risky and the gear can be in excellent condition. In fact, I only had a problem one time and as soon as I contacted the seller it was rectified.

Just another idea.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Bob's right. One of the positive things about the rapid rate of change in the digital world is that there are many people discarding perfectly good camera bodies in order to gain that latest 0.1% improvement in ISO or dynamic range with the next camera body. And if you’re willing to take a chance on used gear on eBay or the like, you may gain a significant upgrade from your current gear without paying top dollar. I got my A7II body at a great price from one of the inmates here (serhan) when he upgraded to the A7RII. And it has proved quite satisfactory so far, and probably will continue to do so right up until the A9 comes out, and lots of lightly used A7RIIs suddenly show up on eBay for a song. :D

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. pbizarro

pbizarro Guest

Several suggestions from my side:
    1. Being afraid that your "big" camera will attract robbers is kind of childish. Tells more about how you are insecure. Why did you buy the camera, to use it, right?
    2. If all you want is a smaller camera for hiking, travel, etc, there are many out there, even from Canon. You can easily get a smaller APS-C camera and keep using the lenses you already have.
    3. IMO, you don't need to get a new system.