A6400

Richard Crowe

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Has any "real life" person on this forum used the A6400? If so, what is your opinion. I presently shoot with an A6500 and I am quite happy with the APSC format. I want to add a second camera to my kit and am waiting for the update to the A6500 to come along. However, one of my main reasons (beside the great eye AF) that I branched out to the A6500 is the small form factor of that camera.
If the A6500 replacement is too big for my needs - I will choose the A6400. I wish it had IBIS but, the A6500 is the only camera that I have used with IBIS. While I love IBIS, I can also live without it. Especially when I have have IBIS in my A6500 and since all my imagery are stills...

bdbits

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bob
From what I have read (and seen in videos), the A6400 is actually somewhat better than the A6500 in many ways, but as you say no IBIS. Sony has hinted at an "enthusiast" APS-C but not given any specifics. Some say it will be A6500-like, but I think that is who the A6400 was aimed at. I think it will be more like the A7/A9 series with the bigger battery, joystick, maybe touchscreen features, maybe dual slots, etc. Something that will be competitive to say a Nikon D500. Nobody outside Sony knows for sure if/when it will appear much less body size, but some are speculating it could still come later this year.

Joe461

New to TalkEmount
I have an a6400. So far, I love it.

Can't compare to an a6500 or other Sony - this is my first mirrorless and first Sony camera. I'm coming from a Canon 50D. The Canon is obviously much older and doesn't have anywhere near the same feature set.

I've never had IBIS, so don't miss that feature.

From what I have read, the 6400 isn't worth it as a replacement for the 6500. Better off to wait for the eventual 6500 replacement.

davect01

Super Moderator
Real Name
Dave
As a current A6000 owner I have oft shopped the A6500/A6300. But as a casual weekend Dad shooter, the more than double the price of my A6000 has kept me from upgrading and the features on the A6300 just are not enough to justify the upgrade.

I have always said that eventually, I will upgrade to the A6500. The IBIS with my older MF lenses would be wonderful. And the non-buffering processor would be great. The having to wait for my A6000 to catch up can be frustrating and one of my biggest gripes.

Now the A6400 is a fascinating in-between camera. It seems to have a fantastic AF system, an amazing processor and a great sensor. The biggest missing piece from the A6500 is the IBIS.

Antonio Correia

TalkEmount Veteran
All good points, guys ! :)
As some of you know, I am tempted by the A7 III but evaluating it's size, I now - has never been so hesitating - read and search about the A 6400
I enjoyed seeing this video which looked to me very, very serious. He has even made a comparison between the 6500 and the A7 III...
Also saw this video quite simple and direct.

In fact, the IBIS is something very important, now that I begin to shake a bit on my left hand when holding the lens. I am tempted by the 6400. It would be 1.000 € less...
:)

EDIT
Richard... how about this serious video ?
I learn a lot with this guy.

Last edited:

bdbits

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bob
Antonio, what do you like to shoot? Sony makes great APS-C cameras as well as the full-frame cameras. I used them myself for a number of years before going full-frame almost two years ago now and only recently sold the A6000. Aside from the compact bodies, they have great image quality and features. The sensor is smaller but the pixel density makes up for that, and the "crop factor" means using say a 40mm lens will be like using a 60mm lens on full-frame. If you do birds or sports that is a real advantage. And of course as you noted, it is less expensive.

I chose full-frame for various reasons. I do more landscape-type photography. While I love the small form factor, with the lenses I am using I find the larger body is a bit more comfortable. One of the biggest reasons, not to be underestimated in my case, is that I learned to use cameras on 35mm film, so full-frame is more natural for me in choosing lenses and how things look in the viewfinder.

Personally IBIS is not a game-changer, but it does help.

There are not really any bad choices when choosing among current Sony bodies, form-factors, and lenses. It comes down to what you need out of the camera, and of course budget.

Richard Crowe

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Antonio... I am very much tempted to get the APSC A6400 to use in tandem with my A6500. The new autofocus capability seems very tempting as does the weight and the price. Since I am shooting mostly prime lenses on my A6500, a second camera would really be great. Having two focal lengths at my finger tips is the way I have always enjoyed shooting.

An additional plus in favor of the Sony APSC format is the new Sigma 56mm f/1.4 lens which, IMO, would be a great addition to any Sony APSC setup. However, the 50mm Sony OSS lens would also be great and perhaps better on an A6400 specially since the A6400, unfortunately doesn't include In Body Image Stabilization (IBIS).

Sigma has come out with several great lenses for the Sony APSC system. Unfortunately, these lenses do not have Optical Steady Shot (OSS). The lack of IBIS and OSS might be a deal breaker. Unfortunately, my absolute favorite Sony lens for portraiture (85mm f/1.8 fe) also doesn't include OSS and shooting with a long focal length like this (127.5 mm equivalent) without IBIS or OSS might be problematic for an old man like me. Sure, I have shot all my photographic career with non IBIS camera bodies but, during that career, I was not as old as I am now!

So Sony has placed us in an awkward position regarding their APSC cameras. Select the A6500 and negate the new auto focus capabilities of the A6400 and pay (Amazon USA) an additional two hundred U.S. Dollars to get the IBIS and the increased buffer size of the A6500. OR select the A6400 at a less expensive price and receive the wonderful autofocus capabilities of that camera but, lose the IBIS and live with the smaller buffer.

The reason that I MIGHT just select the A6400 is that I already have the A6500; so I would have that capability to use that camera with lenses that don't have OSS. However looking at my selection of lenses for my A6500 camera I only have two that have OSS: the 50mm f/1.8 and the 28-70mm f/3.5-5.6 (which I use for family event pictures). I find the IBIS especially useful when I am shooting with the several vintage lenses that I own.

I have absolutely no problems with the Sony APSC sized sensor. IMO, it does an excellent job. I also like the form factor of the present Sony APSC sensor cameras. I will wait to see what Sony is going to present us when (and if) they release the A6500 replacement (A6700 or A7000?). Size and price will be the considering factors in my decision on whether to get an A6400 or the new camera. I have to admit that the form factor and price of the A6400 makes it quite appealing.

davect01

Super Moderator
Real Name
Dave
So Sony has placed us in an awkward position regarding their APSC cameras. Select the A6500 and negate the new auto focus capabilities of the A6400 and pay (Amazon USA) an additional two hundred U.S. Dollars to get the IBIS and the increased buffer size of the A6500. OR select the A6400 at a less expensive price and receive the wonderful autofocus capabilities of that camera but, lose the IBIS and live with the smaller buffer.
As I shop between these two I have some very similar thoughts. I have a couple of manual lenses I would love to use the IBIS on the A6500 with but then the new AF on the A6400 would pair great with my native lenses

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
TalkEmount is a fan site and not associated with Sony Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2011-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom