• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

a6400 vendor question

nighttrain

TalkEmount Regular
I'm planning to buy a new a6400 w/ 18-135 lens. Best prices I've seen (from companies that get decent reviews) are from Willougby's and TriState Camera. No experience with either. So I'm wondering if anybody here has bought gear from them, and if you did, how did the transaction work out? Thanks!

Richard Crowe

TalkEmount Top Veteran
In the 1950's Willougby's was a well regarded company but, I have noticed they always undercut the prices offered by B&H and Adorama. I can't personally say anything bad against Willougby's but, there have been some pretty scathing reviews on the Internet... https://www.google.com/search?q=Willougby's+camera+reviews&rlz=1C1CHZL_enUS707US707&oq=Willougby's+camera+reviews&aqs=chrome..69i57j46.16005j0j15&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
I purchase all my big gear from B&H and Adorama and have always been totally happy with their service....

Last edited:

MWhite

TalkEmount Veteran
Real Name
Mike
I’ve also had great luck with B&H and Adorama. I, nonetheless, have bought all my Sony gear from Roberts Camera. They are a brick and mortar store in Indianapolis with first-rate mail order. Before the pandemic, I appreciated being able to actually handle gear before buying; depending on your location this may not apply to you. More recently, I’ve been very pleased with their shipping times. Prices are the same as B&H. They also have a good used department, although their used gear website seems clunkier than the new gear side. https://robertscamera.com/

Last edited:

nighttrain

TalkEmount Regular
Thanks Richard and Mike for your feedback. I checked yelp for the 2 vendors I was considering and reviews were pretty negative, unlike Google Shopping ratings. Not worth the risk to save a little $$. I've bought from B&H and KEH in the past and had good experiences so will stick with them.

Drd1135

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Steve
Thanks Richard and Mike for your feedback. I checked yelp for the 2 vendors I was considering and reviews were pretty negative, unlike Google Shopping ratings. Not worth the risk to save a little $$. I've bought from B&H and KEH in the past and had good experiences so will stick with them.
KEH is good company. I've also had good service from MPB and Roberts.

serhan

TalkEmount All-Pro
You can try greentoe to save some money from a US authorized dealer but you don't see the seller until the offer is accepted....

Richard Crowe

TalkEmount Top Veteran
This is not scientifically arrived at but, in casual observation I have noticed that , most often, when an online vendor offers a price significantly lower than either B&H or Adorama there may be something fishy about the offer.

I was burned when I bought my first DSLR camera many years ago but, since I have been shopping pretty well exclusively at B&H or Adorama, I have had no problems.

I have one hard and fast rule, I WILL NOT PURCHASE A CAMERA ITEM FROM A BROOKLYN, NY, VENDOR... I am sure that there are legitimate vendors operating out of Brooklyn, just as I am sure that a flight of winged pigs just flew over my house:dance4:

There are of course, other vendors like Roberts, that are legitimate but, their prices are usually in line with those of B&H and Adorama.

Most often, the prices of those two vendors are pretty much the same. B&H has a way that they will pay the sales tax of an item while Adorama offers rewards points (which really don't add up to much unless you purchase high value items.).

Sometimes, one or the other vendor will have a sale that will discount an item. I always check both vendors and, since heir record of satisfaction is pretty well equal, I will purchase from the vendor that has the best bottom line price. Adorama will often offer a free gift pack with items. I have several very decent camera bags as well as other items like SD cards and SD card wallets (and even a Flashpoint/Godox flash unit) that I received from Adorama when I purchased cameras or lenses. These packs are actually free! The price of the item without the pack is the same as the price including the pack and was the same as the B&H price...

Both Adorama and B&H will often offer items such as the Godox line of flash equipment under their own house brands, In the case of Adorama, the brand name is Flashpoint. Since, I believe that Godox leaves the responsibility for warranty in the hands of the vendor, it is a good idea to buy any Godox type equipment from a vendor you can trust.

A final note: A few years ago, I purchased a used Sony 85mm f/1.8 lens from Adorama which was graded as Excellent Minus. I couldn't find anything wrong with the lens which might have resulted in an EX- grade and the price of $450 USD was excellent. I have been extremely happy with this lens.

Last edited:

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
I can only speak from a US perspective. Unless there is a vendor-sponsored sale, the big stores like B&H or Adorama often have to advertise close to MSRP (thus the same prices) if they want to be or remain authorized dealers. Many will throw in free extras because they are not allowed to discount the price very much if at all, so they do it to compete. If the price is substantially below MSRP, it is often a "gray market" item and has no manufacturer warranty. Greentoe is a bit different, in that they are not advertising a price, so you may be able to grab a deal with warranty and all. I do not know if the manufacturers object to Greentoe's methods, or if they just do not want to expend the effort to shut them down.

Drd1135

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Steve
I have found Adorama to be better for used than B&H in term if rating. I have gotten a few from KEH that I didn’t like but KEH had no problem taking them back. That’s why I keep dealing with them.

Richard Crowe

TalkEmount Top Veteran
I understood that the gray market items purchased from Adorama are covered under an Adorama warranty rather than a manufacturer's warranty. I am not sure of this or what the Adorama's warranty might cover and for how long the item would be covered.

Richard Crowe

TalkEmount Top Veteran
This info is from the Adorama website regarding the warranty on grey market items...
On "Grey Market" products purchased from Adorama, we offer the same warranty as the U.S. warrantied products carry, for a period of one year. The only difference is that the product would need to be shipped to Adorama for warranty service.

I have not purchased a grey market item from Adorama nor have I needed to use a warranty on any item I purchased from Adorama...

WNG

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Will
Adorama is also a factory authorized dealer of brands, such as Sony. So you won't be without a Sony USA warranty. I purchased my A7II new from them and would do so again.

Drd1135

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Steve
Many gray market purchases come with no US warranty because they are not being sold in the country for which they were intended. The Adorama warranty is designed to compensate for that bad aspect of buying gray market.

Latest posts

Top Bottom