A6300 in Low Light

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by -et-, Apr 20, 2016.

1. -et-

-et- TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 26, 2013
    Southern California
    Tom
    About 10 days ago I went to a music festival at which my granddaughter's high school String Symphony was performing. After I decided to use my NEX-6 and A6000 for video, I obviously needed to rent an A6300 for still photography, and here are some available light images taken with that camera and one of my old Minolta 70-210mm f:4.0 "beercan" lenses.

When looking at the results later, I was quite surprised by the low noise of the A6300 images at ISO 6400. My very rough and unscientific estimate is that the A6300 is about 1.5 stops better in low light than my A6000. I have no idea what Sony is claiming for the camera, but that is what it looks like to my uncalibrated eyeball.

BTW, it may be a real challenge, but guess which one is my granddaughter. :)

FYI, all of these were shot with the lens wide open at f:4.0, which created the shallow depth of field, and my focus point was intentionally varied depending upon my goal.

And finally - as a bit of irrelevant trivia - the piece they were performing at the time was Vivaldi's "Winter"

SF2016-6300365.
    SF2016-6300380.
    SF2016-6300390.
    SF2016-6300342.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2016
    • Like Like x 6
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    My first thought before scrolling down was, must be the little girl with the big bass! ;)
    I think your hands-on evaluation is about the same as several online reviews after receiving a production model.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    Thanks for sharing your impression. (A small APS-C body roughly 2 stops better than my old NEX-7 would be a real temptation...)
    Your granddaughter chose instruments wisely, BTW. :cool:

4. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    The low light abilities of modern sensors is quite remarkable.

Sent from my SM-N920P using TalkEmount mobile app

5. -et-

-et- TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 26, 2013
    Southern California
    Tom
    Give the man a prize!

Although she is actually not so little - which is why the music director asked her to switch from violin to bass two years ago. At 5'9"+ (175cm+) with large hands, she is one of relatively few in the symphony whose hands are not challenged by spanning the double bass. (These images are of the Chamber Orchestra - a subset of the full String Symphony, which has about 70 members.)

• Like Like x 1
  6. slothead

slothead TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 1, 2015
    Maryland
    Tom
    Here's one I got last weekend at the Maryland Medieval Times

DSC08814a1.

• Like Like x 3
  7. slothead

slothead TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 1, 2015
    Maryland
    Tom
    It's all about that bass, bout that bass, bout that bass....

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. soeren

soeren TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 12, 2014
    N├Žstved, Denmark
    Soeren

Whoops

Nice shots, that 6300 is becoming more and more tempting.

• Funny Funny x 3