1. Welcome to TalkEmount.com—a friendly Sony E-mount camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

A6300 for "Enthusiast" Photographer?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by Gilbertsen, Oct 1, 2018.

1. Gilbertsen

Gilbertsen New to TalkEmount

Oct 1, 2018
    Massachusetts
    Linda
    Hello!
    I guess I would consider myself an enthusiast photographer. I love to make pictures and want them to be fantastic but...I will be using "auto" or "program" (no throwing tomatoes, please).
    My most recent camera is a mirrorless Samsung. After investigating cameras and comparing images I am drawn to the crispness and clarity produced by Sony cameras, specifically the A6300 (and perhaps A7). And, truth be told, the stunning 90mm macro lens.
    My question to everyone really is - would the A6300 be a good fit for my needs? Is it too much of a camera (or am I wasting too much of the camera) using it for pictures with only the auto/program setting? This would be my first Sony camera so I am in uncharted waters here.
    Are there any other suggestions for a Sony camera that might better suit my style?
    Thank you.

2. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount All-Pro

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    No need to apologize for using Program/Auto modes. Its the results that count. I am sure most of us have used full auto modes at one time or another.

It is worth noting that the 90mm is a full-frame lens, whereas the 6300 is a crop sensor. This is not a problem, in fact it makes the effective focal length around 135mm. If you are trying to catch things like insects, this is a benefit as you can be positioned further away and thus less likely to scare them off. As far as Sony bodies go, the A6300 is a very good camera. Some of the regulars around here use that model with excellent results. There would be some advantages with the A6500, the biggest being in-body image stabilization (IBIS), but there is a jump in price. Your chosen lens has stabilization anyway, so not a big deal for now but might be something you will wish you had if you decide to use other, non-stabilized lenses. In any case, either one is a fine choice and not a "wasting too much of the camera".

The only real Sony alternatives I think would be the fixed lens cameras, e.g. the RX100 series. It doesn't sound like that is what you are after, in terms of the type of camera you want.

Make sure you stop back and share some pictures. Or ask questions if you need help getting it set up.

Welcome to talkemount. :Welcome:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. -et-

-et- TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 26, 2013
    Southern California
    Tom
    I do not have the 6300, but I have the 6000 and the 6500, so you can say that I straddle the 6300.

IMO, there is nothing wrong with setting the camera on "P". That is where my own cameras are set 90-95% of the time, and those photos normally turn out fine. If there is something specific I want to do - such as controlling depth of field, or compensating for unusual lighting, I may switch to Aperture priority or even Manual settings, but those situations are definitely a minority for me.

FWIW, I have used the 6300 and found it very satisfactory. I bought the 6500 instead of the 6300 because I shoot hand-held in low-light environments a modest but important percentage of the time, and the in-body stabilization of the 6500 is a big plus for me. Without that factor, I would have bought the 6300.

- Tom -

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. grillec

grillec TalkEmount Regular

Mar 19, 2015
    All recently cameras should produce nice pictures in auto mode. The crispness and clarity would be mostly the result of the used lens and the image editing afterwards. The 90mm macro lens should has no problem with this. My only thought would be about the combination of size and weight of lens and camera. But I don't own the 90mm macro myself.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Gilbertsen

Oct 1, 2018
    Massachusetts
    Linda

6. Gilbertsen

Oct 1, 2018
    Massachusetts
    Linda
    Thank you very much. I will give the RX100 series a peek, as well as give another look to the A6500. Most of my pictures will actually be street, landscape, dogs, family, etc. as the 90mm is only on my wish-list for the moment unless I find a comparable "generic" alternative.

7. Gilbertsen

Oct 1, 2018
    Massachusetts
    Linda
    Thank you. I am not alone in my "P" setting. Also I will give consideration to the 6500 for the reasons mentioned. The older one gets the more shake there seems to be holding cameras; even lighter ones.

8. Gilbertsen

Oct 1, 2018
    Massachusetts
    Linda

9. Gilbertsen

Oct 1, 2018
    Massachusetts
    Linda

10. Gilbertsen

Oct 1, 2018
    Massachusetts
    Linda
    Thank you. Newer technology is wonderful. I had not given that enough thought about the lenses used. Sony of course being top tier. Are there any decent generic alternatives to Sony lenses (i.e., Tamron, etc.)? I am planning to begin with the "starter-kit" first and then will be adding other lenses over time.

11. WNG

WNG TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    The a6300 is a fine camera and one benefits from its small form factor. A great travel camera. There is no problem beginning with AUTO/PROGRAM modes. They have their purpose. And you will soon grasp the options of Aperture/Shutter Priority and Manual modes.
    There are a handful of very good lenses in APS-C that make a great combination with the a6300. The Sigma Art and Contemporary lines, Sony's 50mm f/1.8, 24mm f/1.8, 30mm f/3.5 Macro, 35mm f/1.8. And you can use full-frame native lenses from Samyang, Tamron, Tokina, and of course Sony.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  12. TedG954

TedG954 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Nov 29, 2014
    South Florida and NE Ohio
    Ted Gersdorf
    I believe the A6300 is a wonderful camera. Using AUTO will give you fine photographs, and as your interests progress, the camera has lots of features to keep you interested for a long time. The A6300 is my prime travel camera and I trust it for my once-in-a-lifetime pictures. Good luck and enjoy.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  13. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    I am personally still rocking the A6000. A heck of a bargain of a camera.

When I do upgrade I will be skipping the A6300 and getting the A6500. Just a few more features without too much more $$

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. AlwaysOnAuto

AlwaysOnAuto TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Feb 17, 2015
    Uh, I've got nothing against using AUTO. Go figure.
    In fact, I used it just this last weekend.

DOH!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  15. Biro

Biro TalkEmount Regular

Oct 21, 2012
    I recently bought the A6300... deliberately choosing it over both the A6500 and A6000. Not because there's anything really wrong with the other two but, for me, the A6300 was a nice balance between price and features. Plus, it has the best battery life of the three A6XXX cameras.

Right now, if I was seriously considering the A6500, I'd be tempted to wait and see what Sony's next APS-C camera is going to be. We don't know if it will be called the A6700 or the A7000 but rumors are it's coming very soon and may look more like one of the A7 full-frame cameras. And could be a better match with something like the 90mm.

Also, just an FYI, perhaps you don't want to spend this much money yet, but the A7III has a crop mode with which you can use APS-C lenses without vingnetting. But the 90mm is a full-frame lens.

And finally, for the record, another vote here for auto or program mode if it works for you.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  16. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount All-Pro

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    Good point - rumors are a new APS-C body may be announced at a mid-October press event. Just rumors of course, but probably worth waiting a couple of weeks.

• Useful Useful x 1
  17. bobbill

bobbill TalkEmount Regular

Oct 27, 2017
    Gilbertsen +1...its the results...and WNG too, though I fear the ease could be habit-forming...do what is fun...

I have Sony 6300 and love it, though I use old primes mostly, leaving the slick autos at home...just habit with me.

• Like Like x 1
  18. mstphoto

mstphoto TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 26, 2016
    Aberdeen, NE Scotland
    Mike Stephen
    I have an a7rii but its my a6300 + Sony 16-70 that gets the most use.
    I'd certainly recommend the a6300 :2thumbs:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Gilbertsen

Oct 1, 2018
    Massachusetts
    Linda
    Thank you everyone. I am absorbing and considering all your feedback. For now I will be biding a bit more time while I await Black Friday sales (laughing, but true) and, perhaps, a peek at that new model. Also, I truly appreciated learning that using auto/program mode is not shunned, but acceptable.

• Like Like x 1
  20. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    I too am not above using the Auto features when I am not too serious about my shots being perfect. I recently was at a kids birthday party that was both inside and outside. I did not want to keep switching back and forth and messing with settings so I put it in "P", set the ISO to Auto and just had fun, taking a few shots along the way and getting great results.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.