1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

A6000 with Sony PZ 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 OSS for stills & video...yes or no?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by dragion, Jun 20, 2014.

1. dragion

dragion TalkEmount Top Veteran

May 8, 2014
    Boston, MA
    William
    I'm considering on purchasing the SELP18200 for my A6000.
    I would like to replace my current Sony HDR-CX150 Handycam.

Would the PZ 18-200mm be a good choice? :confused:

2. Tabibito

Tabibito TalkEmount Regular

Apr 1, 2013
    I tested it once in the store using 5N... The first thing that came to mind is how heavy that thing was. The original SEL18200 is heavy but this one is even heavier. The build quality is very solid, the zooming is smooth and the IQ is good, but it comes with a weight, and a lot of weight it is.

• Like Like x 1
  3. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    While the cameras are quite capable video shooters, they are no replacement for a dedicated video camera.

1- Zoom is not as smooth. If you are zooming, you WILL notice it on a regular camera versus a video camera. Just the act of having to reach up, find the zoom and activate it, all the while trying to keep steady is going to create movement.

2- No external light. If shooting in any dim situation this could be a killer.

3- Stabilization. Make sure any lens you are planning to shoot video on has it, as the camera itself does not.

4- Size. The video camera you are mentioning is very light and compact. Not so sure how this combo would compare.

Some of these issues can be resolved by using a tripod, or other stabilization methods, I refer to mostly handheld shooting.

So, for simple family gathering shooting the cameras are very capable of shooting some nice videos. However, if you plan on doing a lot of video shooting and highest quality are your goal, you will not get the same results.

• Like Like x 1
  4. dragion

May 8, 2014
    Boston, MA
    William

Thanks Dave for the advice.

I thought that I would be able to "kill 2 birds with one stone" :frown:
    I guess the A6000 with the SELP18200 won't cut it compared to a dedicated video camcorder.

I'm going to need to research more...I was hoping that someone would have actual experience with this combo and give me some guidance.
    If you're out there...please help. :crying:

5. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    I don't want to say you can not get good video, just that compared to a regular video recorder, you are going to be missing some features.

• Like Like x 1
  6. zx7dave

zx7dave TalkEmount Rookie

Sep 23, 2011
    Honolulu
    I use the a6000 with the 18-105pz with good results...be aware for video the a6000 runs hot especially when running 60p. It will shut down inside of 10 minutes....you get closer to 20-30 min with 24p....and yes, that is with the back screen opened up to let the back of the camera breathe...

• Like Like x 1
  7. dragion

May 8, 2014
    Boston, MA
    William
    Thanks!
    I just asked a similar question in the A6000 thread.

8. zx7dave

zx7dave TalkEmount Rookie

Sep 23, 2011
    Honolulu
    Sometimes you do not get the little temp warning icon coming up..it will just get hot and shut down. However when you to get that little temp icon on the back of the screen you generally have about a minute before the camera will shut its self off.

• Like Like x 1
  9. dragion

May 8, 2014
    Boston, MA
    William
    Would you recommend shooting in 24p over 60p?

I know that 60p will give your the ability to edit with the "slow motion" effect, but 24p will give a more of a cinematic effect...due to the fps.

I'm not a videographer...or even a photographer, but just a Hobbyist who enjoys this type of media.