A6000 wide lens

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by Mr203, Aug 8, 2015.

1. Mr203

Mr203 TalkEmount Regular

Aug 2, 2015
    MRR
    Guys,
    Recently purchased a6000 with Sony zeiss 55 1.8 and kit lens. I am looking for a wide lens which is better for indoor group photography as well as landscapes picture. I am looking for 16-24mm wide.

I believed in saying. "You get what you paid for" but sometimes it's other way around and you get real good product for decent price.

Please recommend me wide landscape/indoor party photography lens with excellent results

Thanks in advance

Last edited: Aug 8, 2015
  2. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Welcome :)

The only native 16mm lens (assuming you dont want to go with an adapted lens) is the SEL16 2.8 pancake which meets your "budget" criteria. I've seen some excellent results from this lens even most reviews are not favorable about this lens. I'm a strong believer that its all in the photographer itself and not the gear most of the times. I had this lens and sold it, something that I now regret... If money is not an issue then there's also the excellent Zeiss Touit 12mm or the manual focus lenses Rokinon, Samyang, Bower.

3. dbmiller

dbmiller TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    The Sigma 19mm f/2.8 is a great bang for the buck lens.

4. -et-

-et- TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 26, 2013
    Southern California
    Tom
    I have the Sony 16mm f:2.8 and find it very satisfactory - much better than some of the comments that you see on the web. I also have the Sony adapter that converts the lens into a 12mm f:2.8, and find that combination to be a good choice for that focal length (which is equivalent to 18mm on a full-frame camera.)

I also have the Sony/Zeiss 24mm f:1.8 lens - which I acquired second-hand in pristine condition from a camera store for a very, very good price, thanks to a tip from one of the other people here. It is an excellent lens, but is not inexpensive.

In your situation, unless I were to place a high premium on low light capability that would justify the expense of a faster lens like the Zeiss, I would buy the Sigma 19mm f:2.8 that dbmiller mentions above. I do not have that lens myself, but I do have the similar Sigma 30mm lens that was introduced at the same time to essentially identical good reviews, and that lens is a really, really good value, IMO. The 19mm Sigma would give you a relatively wide field of view, which is desirable for the indoor group photos that you mention, and the price is quite reasonable.

- Tom -

5. Mr203

Mr203 TalkEmount Regular

Aug 2, 2015
    MRR
    It seems like sigma is a strong favorite here . Can you provide me a tip to get that lens for very good price in used condition?

As far as results goes indoor shooting at night and day time , which shine the most? Sony 24 or signa 19?
    I think that landscape in bright light outdoors will not be problem with sigma. I am curious if sigma will perform good in night indoors group photos.
    I love the results of Ziess 55 1.8 but the angle is too long for group shots.

6. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Don't forget the 20mm SEL. My indoor lens.

7. Kirkp

Kirkp TalkEmount Regular

Nov 2, 2014
    And don't overlook the kit lens SELP1650. It's my Swiss army knife. I always keep it nearby and have had many great results.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. tillman

tillman TalkEmount Regular

May 28, 2014
    Keizer, Oregon
    Tillman
    I agree with Kirkp, if you're wanting wide angle on a budget you are better off with the 16-50 power zoom than the 16mm 2.8 in my opinion. The 16mm 2.8 is marginal wide open, it's good once you stop it down to 5.6-8, the 16-50 sharpens up sooner, so in practical use the 16-50 is the faster lens even though the other is technically faster. I had the SEL20f28 for a couple days but returned it, I didn't see any better performance than the Sigma 19mm and the added cost didn't justify the smaller package for me.

I recently purchased the Samyang 12mm f2, and while it's wider than the OP stated they were after and certainly doesn't fall into "Budget" territory, it's amazingly sharp wide open, quite an impressive lens and I feel it's a bargain for what it is.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    The OP listed the kit lens in his possession already. And it's a versatile lens that gets maligned, but it's software optimized to perform very well with the a6000. I was able to get outdoor night shots that you'd think its speed wouldn't be able to yield.
    The one thing it has over the 16 and 20 f/2.8 is OSS. (and phase detect AF, don't recall if those pancakes only do contrast detect AF.)

+1 on the Sigma 19mm f/2.8. Great value and performance. Can be used w/o flash with bright ambient evening/indoor lighting. Excellent landscape lens.
    Negatives are no OSS and phase detection AF.

If cost isn't an issue, I'd opt for the Sony 24mm f/1.8. It occupies that happy medium between 18-19 and 28-35 for APS-C. Plus, it's faster than f/2.8 which is useful indoors or low light.

Recommend you take your kit lens and shoot many subjects at various focal lengths in the situations you are considering. Then study the results.
    See which focal length you find you're using the most for the most satisfying results in your compositions, 16, 19, 24, 28, 35, 50.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2015
  10. Mr203

Mr203 TalkEmount Regular

Aug 2, 2015
    MRR
    Thank you

11. Mr203

Mr203 TalkEmount Regular

Aug 2, 2015
    MRR
    Thank you

12. jai

jai TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 4, 2013
    I think the 24mm is probably a better focal length for what you want, but it is a lot of money. I'd try forcing yourself to shoot at either 24 or 19mm with the kit lens for a couple of days.

Oh and if you do decide to buy a 24, take a look second hand. They seem to be going for a fair bit cheaper than even the current sale price at B&H/Adorama

Last edited: Aug 11, 2015
  13. ggibson

ggibson TalkEmount Regular

Sep 1, 2011
    No one mentioned the Sony 10-18mm f4 yet? It's a great performer for wide-angle shooting. The only downside is the f4 aperture can be a bit limiting for social situations indoors with moving people. For those circumstances, I'd get the 24/1.8.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Personally I didn't mention the 24 1.8 or the 10-18 because the OP specified "decent price" his initial post. I guess my opinion on "budget" is different from most, lol :D

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. dbmiller

dbmiller TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    Same here. And decent price led me directly to the 19/2.8 - You just can't beat it for the price.

• Like Like x 1
  16. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    The OP picked up a SZ 55-f/1.8, so I based it off of that. ;)
    Plus, I've personally found I liked 24mm as a favorite F.L. on the a6000. No surprise given it's 35mm equivalent FOV.
    But otherwise, you can't beat the Sigma 19. It resolves sharper at the corners and is cleaner than the Sony 20 f/2.8.

17. soeren

soeren TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 12, 2014
    N├Žstved, Denmark
    Soeren
    Hmm mf? Samyang/Rokinon 16mm? How does that one perform?
    Personally my dream kit would be the 12mm Samyang, the 24mm Sony and a 50-55mm(havn't decided which).

18. Mr203

Mr203 TalkEmount Regular

Aug 2, 2015
    MRR
    Guys , if budget isn't an issue , would you recommend Sony 24 1.8 over sigma in quality ? I wanted beautiful
    Landscape and indoor shooting .

19. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    The Sigma Art lenses for E mount are high quality offerings. And very affordable. But they don't offer a 24mm.
    Sony Zeiss is not comparable based on speed, FL, and build. It's a very pricey lens. In return, you do get more speed and light, more sharpness, rendering that will match your 55, high build quality. Only suffers from some purple fringing while shooting at f/1.8.

If price no object, then yes, I'd buy one without hesitation.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Mr203

Mr203 TalkEmount Regular

Aug 2, 2015
    MRR
    Thank you. I was looking at landscape images taken From sigma 19 and I was impressed. Just wondering how much better 24 1.8 can be .
    If you have to use percentage as a measurement method , would you say 70% better or less?
    Remember I am using a6000.
    Thanks