A6000 w/16-70 Trial

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by Jazzer, May 19, 2014.

1. Jazzer

Jazzer TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    New York
    Larry
    These are some pictures from my first real outing with the A6000 and 16-70z taken at a local park/garden. I am still evaluating the combo and don't yet have the camera set up the way I would like it, but I was pretty happy with the performance.

I'm not usually a big fan of flower photos, but I liked the bokeh and color rendition of the 16-70.
    14238462343_88e261d203_c.

14031622719_593e6fdce3_z.

Sphinxes overlooking the garden
    14031676370_7cd5fb9f03_c.

Many thanks to the woman who unknowingly posed for the image and gave it some scale :). She had been concerned that she was in the way while I was trying to take a picture. I showed her the image after I took it and thanked her. I always feel like putting a person in an image like this helps add a little interest.
    14214993181_581ca7736d_c.

A different perspective
    14215894262_bd04ab4851_z.

An interesting rock formation. Looks a little like rock in volcanic areas that have been eroded by lava.

Stairs down to a scenic overlook
    14036979558_d77b7e43aa_z.

Memorial to fallen fire fighters
    14031676180_82565aceb1_z.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 19
  2. José De Bardi

José De Bardi Assistant in Virtue

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    Nice - the stairs are my favourite :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Someone could easily think this combo agrees with you. :)

• Like Like x 1
  4. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Lovely combo

• Like Like x 1
  5. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Great set of photos! The flower shots are obviously very nice - those colors pop! - and I also like the last 2 photos :thumbup:

• Like Like x 1
  6. christian

christian TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 12, 2014
    Boston MA
    Nice ones Jazzer! My favorites are the first one and the 2 last ones. The one with the woman is a bit underexposed I think. This Zeiss 16-70mm is probably one of the best lens for the e-mount.

https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/118310489@N03/

• Like Like x 1
  7. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick

Oh, and based on these results above I think you should shoot flowers more often :D

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  8. Jazzer

Nov 6, 2012
    New York
    Larry
    Thank you everyone.

Christian, I think you are right about the picture with the woman being slightly underexposed. It didn't look quite so dark on my monitor, but I saw it on another computer and it seemed a bit darker than I intended.

9. NkedFatWhiteGuy

NkedFatWhiteGuy TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 28, 2013
    Portland, Oregon
    Jazzer, what is your take so far on the combination? I am still waiting on my 16-70 and my a6000 to arrive in the local camera shop (it's crazy how hard it is to get this Sony camera! I have never had a problem in the past with any of my Sonys being in stock!) and wondering what I will do with my NEX 6 when it does arrive. One of my "justifications" for changing out bodies eight months after an upgrade was that I could (and would) sell the 6...

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

10. Jazzer

Nov 6, 2012
    New York
    Larry

NFWG, I am really enjoying the combo, but I think it really is going to depend on what your expectations are and the reasons for your making the purchase as to whether you will feel it is worthwhile. I do (think it was worthwhile), but I came to that conclusion only after taking the full 30 days to decide (and even then had some question). Like you, I was having a hard time justifying the purchase, having had my NEX 6 for only about a year (and not feeling like I even scratched the surface with it in that time). But my take on it was this. I really wanted an alternative zoom to the kit lens and I was seriously considering the 16-70. For $350 more, I could upgrade the camera as well and benefit from the various "fixes" to the NEX 6 plus the better auto focusing system. That seemed like a reasonable trade off to me.

I thought I was going to sell my NEX 6 to defray some of the cost of the A6000, but now I'm not so sure. I was out today shooting and I took both cameras - the 16-70 was on the A6000 and I had the 16mm with ultra wide adapter on the NEX 6. It was really nice not having to swap lenses. I also started doing some calculations and I'm not sure how much money I would net after selling the NEX 6 since I would like to keep the 16-50pz lens for a very compact package and I would likely want to buy another Sony battery. I don't have a lot of mileage on the NEX 6 and it's still a great camera. I have to think hard about what is going to mean more to me, the money I can get out of its sale or the value of its continued use as a second body.

I posted this on the subject a little earlier today, if you didn't see it. https://www.talkemount.com/showthread.php?t=6895&page=2

If you have any other questions, let me know. And feel free to PM me.

11. NkedFatWhiteGuy

Oct 28, 2013
    Portland, Oregon
    Thanks Jazzer! Sounds like we are thinking about this in the exact same way!

I was planning on the 16-70 as a "replacement" for may SAL1680Z which is my favorite A Mount. I have been using it a bit with my LA-EA2, but it is a bit bulky. The idea was to get the 16-70 and sell the SAL1680Z to help fund, but then this deal came up so I figured I would add the a6000 since I have had AF issues with my 6 (which I think are related to the way I shoot and my normal subjects). Now I am looking at trying to figure out what to do with a lot more gear than I thought.

I will probably be pushing return limit times too. I have special ordered the combo in at a local camera store, so the return limits are a little different, but hopefully I will have enough time to make sure.

Thank for the offer! I may be bugging you for more of your thoughts via PM ;)

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

12. NkedFatWhiteGuy

Oct 28, 2013
    Portland, Oregon
    So...sigh... I recieved my a6000 on June 30th, right before heading to the coast for the Fourth of July. I was told that the lens shipped that day, but they didn't expect it to arrive until like the 5th. I headed out and took both my NEX 6 and my shiny new a6000 in addition to my Fuji X20 and my GoPro (I always take way too much with me).

On thebtrip, I ended up using the GoPro primarily on the beach and then the NEX 6 back at the beach house because I was concentrating on taking lots of candid shots of family and friends. I figured I would get plenty of time to learn the a6000 when I got back with the 16-70.

When I returned, I was super excited to call my favorite cameras shop to tell them I would be in for my lens! I called on Monday and learned that I was misinformed (or I misinterpreted what I heard) and that the estimated ship date was the 30th, and that now, the ship date for the 16-70 has been pushed back to July 24th! Oh, but I am "top of the list" because I have been the only prepaid...

Needless to say, I am not very happy with my local shop nor am I very happy with Sony - which is becoming a very common theme for me. Now, I understand manufacturing, supply chain, delivery, and order fulfillment very well, so I get it... I am just frustrated and I think I just need to vent :(

The camera shop is listening well and has said that they will be conveying my message to the Sony rep - which includes my now growing regret of staying a faithful Sony camera customer for the past 10 years - to help improve things in the future, but I am still irritated and am wondering why I am continuing to make large (for me) investments in a hobby like this....sigh...

Okay, I think I got it out of my system for a bit... thanks for listening...