• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

A6000 update delayed again?????

davect01

Super Moderator
Real Name
Dave
(SR4) A6xxx announcement again(!) delayed til February 2016. | sonyalpharumors

Another delay for the A6000 update???

Seriously, Sony needs to figure out what they are doing or risk losing long time NEX, and recent A6000 owners. Sony really needs to make some official announcement instead of us relying on unreliable rumor sites.

My simple guess is that the A6000 was such a success due to the price point and massive feature upgrades that they are having a hard time coming up with a compeling upgrade that gives up valuable advances, all the while keeping the price under $1000.00.

NickCyprus

Super Moderator
Real Name
Nick
Also just read this...
Once again the same story with the a6000s successor (or the new apsc if you prefer).
Btw, I have a feeling that it will be a $1200 camera this time

Hawkman

TalkEmount All-Pro
Real Name
Steve
Saw this in the morning as well. Two thoughts:
  • First, it actually made me happy... happy that I made the jump to the a6000 and that it won't (iff the rumor is true) be deprecated tomorrow.
  • Second, as with all rumors of a product being delayed (See almost all rumors about Apple product "delays"), it is tenuous to assign blame or imply problems when the company itself hasn't actually said anything about the rumored product. Plus, keep in mind that the NEX-6 went almost two years before the a6000 replaced it. And the NEX-7 was a "current" offered product for even longer. So, while Sony has not announced a new APS-C body in an abnormally long time (last being the a5100), that actually says more about the lower-end line (a3000, a5000) than the middle-end, and I think it is premature to presume they are "abandoning" APS-C altogether... yet.

davect01

Super Moderator
Real Name
Dave
I'd rather them take their time and get it wrong than release something too soon and get it wrong.

That said, there is a lot of nervousness about it. As I mentioned, I just wish Sony itself would say something official.

All that said, I love my A6000 and plan on keeping it for years to come.

GateCityRadio

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Kev
I've read around that sony is focusing their attention on FF lenses for now...so this could be a sign that they are focusing on the FF bodies as well. What is the last APS-C lens sony came out with? The line up of aps-c lenses isn't that great but I can see why it would be more important for them to push forward on the FF "pro" quality lenses right now.

WookieeGunner

TalkEmount Rookie
The thing is that a FF lens is 100% usable on an APS-C body but an APS-C lens isn't 100% usable on a FF body, so focusing on FF lenses makes a lot of sense as they flesh out their lens selection.

Alex66

TalkEmount Regular
I did see somewhere that Sony were at full capacity with the backlog of A7r2 orders and that is the main issue, also they make a shed load more profit off the FF stuff. I don't think they will drop the A6000 series as they require the gateway camera to get people into the mount. Though I would doubt we will see any more APS lenses unless its a form of kit zoom as the FF lenses can be used on all bodies. Though if they can make an A6000 cost FF body then they could have a massive seller on their hands.

southy

TalkEmount Veteran
Delayed? When did Sony ever give an official release date? I can't help but feel a certain rumour site is inadvertently causing unwarranted dislike towards Sony simply because they post bogus information every couple of weeks in a desperate attempt to create click bait for their site. This has been going on since the rumour of a NEX7n. The fact is the rumour site has been so far off the mark with Sony camera releases over the past couple of years an A6xxx is just as likely to be released tomorrow. We have seen it with the A7 line which they got caught off guard with pretty much every model. So much for "reliable" sources.

Its been less then 2 years since the A6000 release which I think is very reasonable given it is a very well thought out mature product resulting from years of R&D with the NEX line of cameras. I think some people see all the A7xx releases and expect the same but the A7 line was very much in its infancy. Now with generation II of all the models I would expect a slow down here as well.

APSC is not dead. Sony have just matured the product and some people fail to see that.

davect01

Super Moderator
Real Name
Dave
It is the sudden and drastic shift to Full Frame that has us APS-C faithful nervous. I have nothing against Full Frame cameras, I simply don't have the desire to spend $1000-3000 on a camera.

14 different APS-C camera bodies in 5 years, (an average 2.8 a year), and now nothing for a year +. No lenses, no bodies, nothing.

Last edited:

NickCyprus

Super Moderator
Real Name
Nick
I've read around that sony is focusing their attention on FF lenses for now...so this could be a sign that they are focusing on the FF bodies as well. What is the last APS-C lens sony came out with? The line up of aps-c lenses isn't that great but I can see why it would be more important for them to push forward on the FF "pro" quality lenses right now.

If we are comparing the APS-C vs FF lens lineup, I have a different opinion: the APS-C lens lineup is at least on par with that of their FF system...
9 APS-C primes (11 if you add the converters) and 8 APS-C zooms
9 FF primes and 6 FF zooms

Of course, both systems could benefit from more lenses - there are quite a few focal lengths that are missing from both systems :)

GateCityRadio

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Kev
If we are comparing the APS-C vs FF lens lineup, I have a different opinion: the APS-C lens lineup is at least on par with that of their FF system...
9 APS-C primes (11 if you add the converters) and 8 APS-C zooms
9 FF primes and 6 FF zooms

Of course, both systems could benefit from more lenses - there are quite a few focal lengths that are missing from both systems :)

I came from the pentax ecosystem where there are at least twice as many pentax branded lenses to choose from for apsc even more if you include the ones from tamron and sigma. lol.

Latest threads

Top Bottom