• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

A6000 to A6400

davect01

Super Moderator
Real Name
Dave
I just pulled the trigger on the upgrade. I've been patient and got in on a deal for $720.

My A6000 has served me well, but on occasion has had AF misfires, especially during tracking. I was torn between the IBIS of the A6500 for my older Legacy lenses and the Eye AF on the A6400. The A6400 won the day

Last edited:

Thad E Ginathom

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Not that I'm interested in making the change at this time (lens buying will keep me going, perhaps for s year or three, before a new body) but I checked it out the other day, and it's a big jump in price from the a6500 to the a6600.

(reminding self: that's the a6500 price now, not the price when it was new)

davect01

Super Moderator
Real Name
Dave
Not that I'm interested in making the change at this time (lens buying will keep me going, perhaps for s year or three, before a new body) but I checked it out the other day, and it's a big jump in price from the a6500 to the a6600.

(reminding self: that's the a6500 price now, not the price when it was new)
The only body that I have bought brand new was my original NEX-3. All the others have been used or open boxed.

davect01

Super Moderator
Real Name
Dave
Congrats Dave.
Keeping budget in mind was, and still is, foremost in my mind when considering my 'hobby'.
Are you moving the old camera out?
I still have to justify my purchases with my other two hobbies and my wife's hobbies and just everyday living expenses.

I don't shoot every day, perhaps a few days a month. To be honest, my cell phone gets the bulk of the photography done quite well. But I like to have a proper camera on occasion.

And I am a one camera guy. I will be selling my A6000 once I get the new camera to offset the cost a bit.

Last edited:

davect01

Super Moderator
Real Name
Dave
Accessory shopping already, even though the camera is still in the mail

I have a similar kit on my A6000 and like it a lot. Some protection without the bulk of the leather kits
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Anti-Scrat...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Any thoughts? I like the idea of a bigger eyecup
https://www.ebay.com/itm/KIWIFOTOS-...ny-FDA-EP17-/202821880879?hash=item2f39204c2f

I've been using my phone app as a remote, but I like the idea of an actual remote
https://www.ebay.com/itm/JJC-RM-DSL...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

mnhoj

TalkEmount Veteran
I just pulled the trigger on the upgrade. I've been patient and got in on a deal for $720.

My A6000 has served me well, but on occasion has had AF misfires, especially during tracking. I was torn between the IBIS of the A6500 for my older Legacy lenses and the Eye AF on the A6400. The A6400 won the day

And the verdict is?

Richard Crowe

TalkEmount All-Pro
Bravo on your new A6400... That is a wonderfully great camera.

I switched from the A6500 to the A6400 and then added an A6600 as a two body, shoot in tandem kit.

The A6400 beats the pants off the A6000 in the area of AF. Eye-AF alone makes the upgrade well worth it but, there are a myriad of other features that after using the A6000. I am sure will really impress you.

While the A6600 has IBIS, unless shooting video with a non-OSS equipped lens, I have never felt constrained by the lack of that feature. Plus, there are many work arounds if you are shooting video with a non-OSS lens. As far as still shooting, I have no problems using a non OSS lens with the A6400 such as shooting with the A6400 and a non-OSS Tamron 28-75mm F/2.8 lens...

here is a selection of shots using the above combination. I have fallen in love with the Tamron lens.
https://rpcrowe.smugmug.com/Dia-de-los-Muertos-Hollywood-Forever-3019/i-tFw2487

I have done a 20x24 inch metal print of this shot and it is outstanding in quality.

One thing that I strongly advise is to really get into setting up the menu of your new A6600 because that menu is wonderfully customizable . The Internet abounds with complaints about the Sony menus being complicated and difficult to use. I agree that early Sony cameras had a difficult menu, after I customized the A6400 menu (using my "menu" and the "function menu") I find using, the A6400 and A6600 (no difference in the menu setup) very easy. In fact, easier than my Canon DSLR cameras which I had been shooting for years before switching to Sony.

Although I own both the A6400 and the A6600, I would not be a lot less happy with two A6400 cameras.

Last edited:

davect01

Super Moderator
Real Name
Dave
Bravo on your new A6400... That is a wonderfully great camera.

I switched from the A6500 to the A6400 and then added an A6600 as a two body, shoot in tandem kit.

The A6400 beats the pants off the A6000 in the area of AF. Eye-AF alone makes the upgrade well worth it but, there are a myriad of other features that after using the A6000. I am sure will really impress you.

While the A6600 has IBIS, unless shooting video with a non-OSS equipped lens, I have never felt constrained by the lack of that feature. Plus, there are many work arounds if you are shooting video with a non-OSS lens. As far as still shooting, I have no problems using a non OSS lens with the A6400 such as shooting with the A6400 and a non-OSS Tamron 28-75mm F/2.8 lens...

here is a selection of shots using the above combination. I have fallen in love with the Tamron lens.
https://rpcrowe.smugmug.com/Dia-de-los-Muertos-Hollywood-Forever-3019/i-tFw2487

I have done a 20x24 inch metal print of this shot and it is outstanding in quality.

One thing that I strongly advise is to really get into setting up the menu of your new A6600 because that menu is wonderfully customizable . The Internet abounds with complaints about the Sony menus being complicated and difficult to use. I agree that early Sony cameras had a difficult menu, after I customized the A6400 menu (using my "menu" and the "function menu") I find using, the A6400 and A6600 (no difference in the menu setup) very easy. In fact, easier than my Canon DSLR cameras which I had been shooting for years before switching to Sony.

Although I own both the A6400 and the A6600, I would not be a lot less happy with two A6400 cameras.
Just picked it up and just spent time going through all the pages.

Two small annoying things though.

1- Apparently my SD Card needs updating. Ordered.

2- The eye surround that fits on the A6000 is slightly different than the A6400. The one I got did not have one, (open box), and I thought I could just swap over. Nope. I've got the larger eyecup coming in the mail, hopefully, it is not too big.

Other than those two things it looks like a very worthy upgrade.

davect01

Super Moderator
Real Name
Dave
First shot with my A6400, on the 50mm Minolta

DSC03759.jpg
   ---            

bobbill

TalkEmount Veteran
Davect...+1! Save all my rigs are used...I am such an amature I figure why spend it?

Last edited:

Latest threads

Top Bottom