1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

A6000 Temptations

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by davect01, Dec 17, 2014.

1. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    I am really trying to a avoid swapping out my NEX-6. Best Buy, (among others) has this for $450.00.

2. Hawkman

Hawkman TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    Yes sir, this $200 off deal has been a powerful temptation! But, for me, with the introduction of the A7 Mk.II, I am hoping this means that the mythical A7000 will also include Sony's new 5-axis IBIS, which will rejuvenate a whole range of lenses previously without OSS, especially long legacy manual focus lenses and the native E-mount glass without OSS like the Sigma 30 and 60.

If, for you, the A6000 is a great upgrade (which it is for most of us), and you have no intention of waiting for a higher cost model, then jump on it!

Sent from TalkEmount app on iPad

3. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    I was on Best Buy's website and every single store in the Phoenix area is sold out.

Either the A6000 has been way more popular than expected, or way under stocked. (Or a combination of the two).

I am still on the fence. I love the advancements from my beloved NEX-6, and the price is outstanding.

However I find myself more and more manual focusing, and just wonder if it is worth the change.

4. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    I'd jump on that deal IF we had similar prices around here!!! (which we offcourse don't :( )
    I imagine you could easily sell your Nex-6 for 2/3 of this price to recoup some of the cost...

5. OldNoob

OldNoob TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 30, 2014
    has anyone found any information on or explanation for the huge drop in price?

6. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    That's the thought.

Makes you wonder. The physical stores, as well as online retailers all seem to be running about the same.

7. HabsFan

HabsFan TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 10, 2013
    Ontario, CAN
    My guess is that once whatever new APS-C camera is released, the A6000 will continue to sell at the $450 price point or lower. I was surprised after black Friday that the price did not go up again. It would seem that Sony is trying to move stock...might hint to new cameras being released.

8. SpaceManSpiff

SpaceManSpiff TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2013
    Tucson, AZ
    Eric
    Dave, that is an incredible deal and I can understand why you are tempted --an insanely competent camera for the money.
    Great improvements in AF, user control and customization, menu, and resolution -- a lot to like there! Minor tradeoffs in high ISO performance, fit/finish and the lack of that handy level indicator.

IMO Sony is selling these at such a low price to get people into their e-mount world while they have the jump on CanoNikon --even if they make virtually no money on the initial sales of the discounted cameras/lenses.

9. SRHEdD

SRHEdD TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 25, 2012
    Viera, Florida, USA
    Steve
    Is that price with a 16-50PZ?

It sounds like the A7000 is due next month, if so, the market will flood with used A6000 bodies.

I have a perfect one I'd sell for less than that new price. Boxed and ready. I just got the A7ii and think I'll stick with that and my A77ii, not using the A6000 so much.

...plus, I love my NEX-6 still. Can't imagine giving it up for anywhere near the price they're going for now.

10. SpaceManSpiff

Dec 13, 2013
    Tucson, AZ
    Eric
    ^^^ Steve, that is body only at that price.

11. Hawkman

Hawkman TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    Not definitive information, but rather "informed speculation": it is Holiday Sale time. ;)

But seriously, I really do think that this is primarily a winter Holiday sale push by Sony (which explains why all retailers have the same price: it is coming from or supported by Sony) to move as many A6000 units as possible. I think Sony knows they have a mass-market winner in the A6000 (great reviews and lots of consumer interest so far) and want to leverage that while they can to grow the E-mount ecosystem base.

After the holidays end (in a couple weeks now) I would expect the price to go back up... and then come back down perhaps around time for CP+ (or in the spring when Moms/Dads/Grads buying ramps up), though not by the full $200... maybe just a drop of US$100. Just speculating... we shall see.

• Like Like x 2
  12. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    I think it is more then the holiday season prices eg Sony knows where the market is heading and trying to get a share of that by lowering the camera prices per Thom Hogan. He used Sony's sensor sales estimates:
    More Doom and Gloom by Thom

Also: Chart shows how digital cameras killed analog cameras and how the selfie culture (almost) killed digital cameras after that!
    [​IMG]

Other side is A7000 with IBIS will be released most probably next year. Lots of camera manufacturers are cleaning their shelves eg very good deals going on with Panasonic gm1 and gx7, Nikon A, Ricoh gr etc. B&H had used A6000s for $350-375 yesterday...

• Like Like x 1
  13. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
  14. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    So I found one at BB on open box for $400

Looking forward to getting to know it over the weekend.

• Like Like x 2
  15. SpaceManSpiff

Dec 13, 2013
    Tucson, AZ
    Eric
    ^^^ Oh, that is excellent! Rock on :clap2:

• Like Like x 1
  16. jenniannie

jenniannie New to TalkEmount

Dec 18, 2014
    Hello all. I am interested in getting my first digital camera, am between this A6000 with the better grip or the 5100 with the better codec. I've also thought about Olympus EM1, regular Canon DSLRs (70D or 6D or M2/3) but these are on the heavy side. I did like the NEX6 & 5T, should I still consider them? I am interested in stills and video, landscape & travel & nature, etc. Any suggestions or tips or "if I were you"? Thanks in advance!

Jennifer in Phoenix, AZ

Sent from my iPod touch using TalkNEX mobile app

17. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Hee hee! Early Christmas! Congrats! :2thumbs:

• Like Like x 1
  18. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    The Nex 6 and 7 are both great cameras and would serve you well.

The A6000 is the next step forward and introduces several new features. Plus the reduced cost is hard to beat.

Here are a couple of comparison videos.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xLwEEfU5ttU

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zf9wQVoPvvQ

19. José De Bardi

José De Bardi Assistant in Virtue

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    I've shot a few videos on the A6000 and I can't imagine wanting it to any better TBH.
    Seems the general opinion is yes, the 5100 will be slightly more adaptable in post with pulling shadows/highlights, but unless you are going to be doing really serious pro level video editing there isn't much to shout about... http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3730780
    The A6000 has a vast number of other features over the 5100, so on balance I would say that is the way to go.

• Like Like x 1