1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

A6000 successor, how would you like it to be?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by christian, Sep 5, 2014.

1. christian

christian TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 12, 2014
    Boston MA
    Hi everyone,

I currently own a NEX-5T, very satisfied so far but like most of you I have this GAS going on...:p

I'd like to upgrade next year. I've been thinking a lot about the A7, or the A7's successor (A8?) (I think the only things Sony should improve about the A7 is the AF speed and add a touch screen. I have no doubt Sony will improve the AF) but the price of the body combined with the price of the lenses for FF format can be a problem. So I have been thinking that the A6000 is also a great camera even though I won't have the FF advantages (shallow depth of field, low light performances...). I would have prefered a huge upgrade. Anyway, besides a touch screen, what could Sony add to the A6000 for its successor?

- More pixels? I really don't see the point in adding pixels to a 24 MP sensor. I think it's enough.
    - Improve the sensor by taking off the low pass filter? Why not?
    - Maybe change the screen ratio. It's the same as the one on my 5T. I think the 16/9 ratio is not adapted for stills use. I prefer the screen ratio used on the A7/ Nikon/ Canon... So that could be a good thing but I don't think they will change that.
    - I think they will improve once again the low light capabilities like always and that's always welcomed!
    - I wouldn't be against another dial control.
    - I would prefer to have the EVF at the same place as the on on the A7. Actually I think they should make kind of a downgraded A7 (A6 would sound good LOL). Exactely the same camera body but with the A6000 sensor instead.

A6000 users, according to your experience with this camera, what should Sony improve for its successor?
    Future upgraders, what would you like to see improved?

I'd really like to read what you have to say about that :D

Cheers and happy shooting! ;)

2. José De Bardi

José De Bardi Assistant in Virtue

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    Honestly, while the A6000 could have an extra control dial (tri-navi), or a better EVF, it is really fine as it is. I would much rather Sony concentrated on a SEL85 and other gaps in the APS-C native AF lens market than kept pushing new bodies which inevitably will be better in one area while worse in another (for example, more pixels + better low light performance = incompatible for one generation hop).

3. José De Bardi

José De Bardi Assistant in Virtue

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    Plus - your photo's are %$£@ing awesome already, you don't need a new body ;)

• Like Like x 1
  4. christian

Apr 12, 2014
    Boston MA
    HA HA You're too nice José!
    I would prefer Sony to focus on new lenses too, but we all know Sony's strategy....:(
    A few months ago, Sony CEO said to Tim Cook (Apple CEO) in a magazine that Apple should make new products every 6 months like Sony and not every year. He added that they loose market share with this strategy. I don't agree at all with Sony CEO on this one! LOL

5. Hawkman

Hawkman TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    I agree. And I have been thinking for awhile (and think I may have mentioned it once or twice here on the forum) that it seems to me almost a "no-brainer" for Sony to take the A6000's sensor, complete with its ton of PDAF points, and put it in the body of an A7, with all its controls, dials, and ports, and call it something like an A7000. It could slot in well in the current huge price gap Sony has between the US$650 A6000 body and the US$1700 A7 body, and take on the flagship m4/3 and APS-C cameras from Fuji, Olympus and Panasonic.

• Like Like x 1
  6. TonyTurley

TonyTurley TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Throw in weather sealing, and it would go against the OM-D E-M5, only with a better sensor.

Tony

• Like Like x 3
  7. christian

Apr 12, 2014
    Boston MA
    Absolutely!!!
    Oh and one thing I forgot to add is that I was also looking into for the A7 because of its dynamic range.

• Like Like x 1
  8. christian

Apr 12, 2014
    Boston MA
    Weather sealing! that's right, I forgot this feature quite importante.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Hawkman

Hawkman TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    Weather sealing would be nice. Although not many E lenses are weather sealed AFAIK.

Another feature that Sony could throw in might be a basic 3-axis in-body image stabilization. That'd be a nice benefit for anyone adapting Sony's own A-mount lenses (and all others as well). While IBIS would be a major challenge on the FF A7 series, it ought to be very doable on an APS-C body.

Sent from my iPhone using TalkEmount

• Like Like x 1
  10. shaolin95

shaolin95 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jul 3, 2013
    Many good suggestions there!

I agree about 24MP being enough for the sensor size..dont want to get noisier.
    If they could somehow gain another stop of high iso clean performance that would be awesome of course.
    No low pass filter...sounds interesting and I am in! :D
    I like the EVF on the side like my NEX-6...makes more sens to keep your nose out of the way from the LCD.
    IBIS will be cool since I use a lot of legacy lenses but at the same time I will be thinking that I may be compromising IQ by using it so likely I will turn it off most times :D

• Like Like x 1
  11. TonyTurley

TonyTurley TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    I forgot to mention: if we're talking fantasy camera, I'd prefer mine in a NEX-6 sized body with the EVF where it is now. For me, the NEX-6 is nearly perfect the way it is; the only improvement I would want to see would be weather sealing. I have no complaints about the NEX-6 at all.

Tony

• Like Like x 1
  12. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    I am really thinking of an upgrade from my 5T soon. Really soon. I really want more dedicated buttons (AEL, Focus) and another control dial and memory recall modes. Digging into menus for stuff becomes annoying. I also want to be able to set min and max shutter speeds. That said, I echo Christian's call for an APS-C version of the A7 with the A6000 sensor and AF. I would be happy with that.

• Like Like x 1
  13. SRHEdD

SRHEdD TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 25, 2012
    Viera, Florida, USA
    Steve
    This is an easy one... I want THIS as an option!! Sorry for the fast Photoshop, wasn't really worth a lot of time, you all get the point. Make the NEXT A6000 have the same footprint as the A7-series, and use the same grip for both!

A6000grip.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  14. NkedFatWhiteGuy

NkedFatWhiteGuy TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 28, 2013
    Portland, Oregon
    Yes! Give us a grip, weather sealing (or at least the feel of a sturdier build), and 1 or 2 additional custom buttons.

• Like Like x 1
  15. christian

Apr 12, 2014
    Boston MA
    Yes, that's also a good idea, though I don't think it will be housed by any Sony body anytime soon unfortunately. They want people to buy IS lenses from Sony or Zeiss. If the body has IS, than people would stay more with their legacy lenses. I do think this strategy not to build a IBIS has commercial purposes. They also want the bodies to be cheapest than the competitors so that beginners buy Sony and stays with Sony afterwards. It's important to win the beginners...

16. christian

Apr 12, 2014
    Boston MA
    I use my left eye so.... LOL

17. christian

Apr 12, 2014
    Boston MA
    As for myself, I will wait a little bit to see the A7's and A6000's successors before taking a decision. And by that time, if I consider that the successors don't bring anything worthy compared to their predeccessors, the prices should have dropped by then... I think I'll keep my 5T as a back body or a body when I want something really small and light.

• Like Like x 1
  18. christian

Apr 12, 2014
    Boston MA
    I understand that some would be happy with that but I actually find vertical grips not so useful actually. Except for the extra battery LOL It's funny to see everyone's needs depending to their photography styles.:)

Attached Files:

19. christian

Apr 12, 2014
    Boston MA
    I think they should really change that 16/9 screen and add touch capabilities. I understand 16/9 ratio is better for video but I don't do any videos, and besides it's a camera first, not a camcorder. I love the quality of Canon screens. Sony has awesome screens, why can't they put better screens on their cameras?