A6000 & SEL1670Z - Opinions please?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by Jonwood10, Nov 11, 2014.

1. Jonwood10

Jonwood10 TalkEmount Rookie

Jun 17, 2014
    After purchasing the A6000 with 16-50 kits lens shortly after release I have been enjoying the updated hardware coming from an original NEX 5.

I wanted a good wide angle lens to facilitate my night sky interest, and after reading some reviews the Samyang 12mm f2 seemed perfect. I find this great, the manual focusing works really well with peaking and the image quality is super.

I then decided a Sigma 60mm art would add a nice compliment to my line up. Again, I can't fault it for the cost and the sharpness of the pictures is very good.

I decided the kit lens was not getting much use the other weekend, so I took it out for a days wondering around a town and general shooting. When I looked back at the pictures later I really was not that impressed compared to either the Samyang or Sigma, they just seemed a bit flat and life less.

Now this caused my G.A.S. to kick in big time! As we are expecting a new addition to the family in March next year I decided the Zeiss 16-70 would make a good alternative to the kit lens, especially as it can be turned in to 'here take a picture with this camera' with the advantage of the A6000s great auto focus.

I have read many contrasting reviews, so I would be gratefully of users opinions as my brother lives in Japan and can bring me a new one back for around £430 when he comes over at Christmas.

Sent from my iPad using TalkEmount
  2. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    The 12mm Samyang and 60mm Sigma are both great lenses, as is the 16-70. Why are reviewers not that impressed? Well, it's not one of the super duper incredibly sharp zoom lenses some expect today. The Canon 24-70 II is one of those, with almost perfect sharpness and great contrast through the range - but it costs four times more than the Zeiss. Then there are lenses like the Sigma 16-35 f/1.8, which gives you good image quality at f/1.8 (!) through the range - but it's not even close to the range of the Zeiss.

So all in all, the Sony Zeiss 16-70mm f/4 represents fair value. Good quality, a fixed but not that fast aperture, nothing outstanding - it's a kit lens upgrade, although Sony priced it slightly on the expensive edge for that. If that's what you want, go ahead! But if you expect Sigma 60mm like quality across the range, you should look somewhere else.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Grisu_HDH

Grisu_HDH TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 16, 2012
    Southern Germany
    100% true!
    Coming from a Next 5-T the @6000 and the 16-70Z was the "logical" consequence to upgrade last week for me.
    The Zeiss is quite impressive and offers really good image quality about a wide zoom range. So you don't need a lens change every time.
    But the Sigma 60 is better in quality....
    But has no image stabilisation...
    But no zoom...
    Right now my 11 month old daughter is my number 1 model... so I know how good a great always-on lens is.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Jonwood10

Jun 17, 2014
    Thanks guys. Both well rounded appraisals, and pretty much what I suspected.

5. Rollin

Rollin TalkEmount Regular

Jul 2, 2014
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    I own the 16-70/4 and have shot it against the kit lens, the 16 prime and the 18-105/4 at my day job and I'm impressed with it. On the wide angle end it blows the others away. At 70mm the 18-105 is maybe a bit better. I have sold it to a few customers and they all have been very happy. However, they and myself do find sometimes wishing it reached longer, but then again happy with small well handling package it creates. I have also sold the 18-105 to a friend and others and they have been very happy with it. It's not huge by DSLR lens standards, but is definatly bigger and bigger front orifice facing the subject.

Top of my personal list is the 70-200/4 because even after buying a Minolta M-Rokkor 90/4 I find I don't have the reach I want, but I digress. Here is how I see the Pros of each of these:

T* coatings
    Goes to 16mm
    Small/light nice package to shoot with
    Nice build
    Zoom current normal kind

Goes to 105mm
    Costs $400 less
    Powerzoom nice for smooth pulls/pushes in video, but fly-by-wire is different and while nice it speeds up if you twist quickly, is different
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Jonwood10

Jun 17, 2014
    So... I have been keeping my eye on the exchange rate and Amazon.co.jp (my brother lives in a semi rural area, so Amazon seemed the best bet), anyway a second hand unit described as in 'excellent condition' with a couple of lens filters came up for £338, so I brought it, plus my brother can check it before he comes back...

I had been doing more research, and trust me I tend to go very in depth before any purchase! I had decided overall it would be the best all rounder for my needs.

Now I just have to wait till the 15th of December to get my hands on it!

7. JonLi

JonLi New to TalkEmount

Nov 11, 2014
    Jakarta Indonesia
    Jon Li
    Right after I bought a6000 , I use it with manual focusing legacy lenses n the kit lens that comes with the camera was never used . A week after the purchase date , I bought a used Zeiss 24mm f1.8 from a guy who was selling his NEX7 because he has bought an A7r . I am very satisfied with this Zeiss lens , performs very well indoor and blinding fast auto focus . Next possibilities R 50/1.8 n 35/1.8 .