A6000 Screen Protector

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by dragion, May 22, 2014.

1. dragion

dragion TalkEmount Top Veteran

May 8, 2014
    Boston, MA
    William
    I'm trying to find a screen protector for my new A6000 and looks like the semi-hard Sony protector is all on back order...only 2 sellers on eBay, but located in HK & Japan.
    Both want twice as much as B&H and Adorama is selling it for ($14.99).

Any suggestions for a good screen protector?

2. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    There seem to be quite a few options on Sony's website and most are in stock.
    Not 100% sure (better check yourself too) but maybe PCK-LM1EA or PCK-LS1EM might work...

• Like Like x 1
  3. dragion

May 8, 2014
    Boston, MA
    William
    Thanks for the advice.

The PCK-LM17 is the correct one for the A6000. It differs from the NEX versions as the panel has essentially been rotated 180 degrees (thick black bar on the right instead of the left).
    The PCK-LM1EA is for the NEX-6/7, which is reversed.
    PCK-LS1EM is a soft protector and seems to have a bubbling issue while installing...plus it's 3.5" instead of 3"

Any other brands/choices?

4. 986ster

986ster TalkEmount Regular

Jan 15, 2013
    I've used the eBay protectors, but they're actually made of glass & mine cracked. Better than the screen cracking, I suppose.

• Like Like x 1
  5. dragion

May 8, 2014
    Boston, MA
    William
    Which one did you buy?

Please share your experience of what happened if you don't mind.

6. rdfisch

rdfisch TalkEmount Regular

Nov 13, 2013
    Northern NJ
    Rick
    I got the Sony semi-hard protector for my a6000 about a week after the camera was released in the US from B&H ... their web site said it was backordered yet they shipped within a few days. I would give them a phone call and they may be able to tell you it WILL ship soon despite the web info.

FWIW, I had a Vello hard real glass protector on my 6 and loved it ... perhaps it had slightly more glare than the naked LCD or one protected by a soft protector. Best thing was very easy application compared to the soft ones and it was really hard to tell it was even there (except for the logo).

I would have opted for another Vello/hard, but it wasn't available at all (at least then). The genuine Sony "semi-hard" I got is fine ... easy application like the hard glass one I had previously. I think it is a little thicker than the hard glass kind.

• Like Like x 1
  7. 986ster

986ster TalkEmount Regular

Jan 15, 2013
    I think it was a fotoga (sp?).
    I had my old NEX-5 in my pocket w/my sigma 30 on one day - took it out to shoot & noticed a crack in the screen protector.
    When I went to replace it, the protector broke apart and came off in sharp chunks.

• Like Like x 1
  8. dragion

May 8, 2014
    Boston, MA
    William

I actually contacted Vello when I first purchased the A6000 and their response was that they don't have one made specifically for the A6000.
    I would love to have a Vello...do you think the NEX-6/7 would fit? Is there much of a difference in screen size between the NEX's?
    As long as the screen is covered and protected and it doesn't cause any viewing issues, could another version be used?
    I know that the borders are different on the Sony's, but what about a protector that doesn't have any borders and is the same exact size & shape?

Any recommendations?

9. dragion

May 8, 2014
    Boston, MA
    William
    Thanks for sharing your experience...
    I'm wondering what "would" have happened if there wasn't a protector or if the protector actually wasn't capable enough to prevented from cracking.

10. rdfisch

rdfisch TalkEmount Regular

Nov 13, 2013
    Northern NJ
    Rick
    I sold my 6 a week before I got the a6000 so I can't compare directly.

You could always pick up a cheap generic phone protector and cut to size as a temporary solution until you can get the proper Sony or Vello comes out with one.

• Like Like x 1
  11. wizzard

wizzard New to TalkEmount

May 24, 2014
    S. John's NL
    I have always put screen protectors on my cameras and have yet to buy one made for the camera. Cellphone screen protectors are easily cut to whatever size you need...a few minutes with a pair of scissors and you are done. Cheap and easy...no one will ever know you didn't spend more on one specially made for your camera....

• Like Like x 2
  12. msullivan

msullivan TalkEmount Regular

Jan 11, 2013
    Phoenix AZ
    I got the Vello. It is still for the NEX 6 BUT all you have to do is flip it over and it attaches perfectly. I do not even notice the Vello at the top. I have had many glass protectors from Vello Gss and others - they work just fine and do not scratch or stain as easily as plastic protectors.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Jazzer

Jazzer TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    New York
    Larry
    How do the acrylic and glass screen protectors affect the screen if you have to take them off for some reason? Do you know if the adhesive would damage the screen? I guess most people just leave them on the screen forever, but I was curious what would happen if you took it off (e.g., what if got scratched or broken).

14. msullivan

msullivan TalkEmount Regular

Jan 11, 2013
    Phoenix AZ
    Most of the modern ones come off easily but you do want to check the method and feedback. The glass protectors attach around the edges and mine have always come off without leaving any residue. You do sometimes have to warm them slightly to loosen the adhesive.

15. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Another vote for Vello.
    After using their NEX-7 protector for a year, they'd be the first brand I'd check to see if they made one for another camera.

• Like Like x 1
  16. dragion

May 8, 2014
    Boston, MA
    William
    Looks as if B&H Photo has the Sony PCKLM17 in stock again...already placed my order.

17. NkedFatWhiteGuy

NkedFatWhiteGuy TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 28, 2013
    Portland, Oregon
    +1 for previous experience with Vello. I like my Vello on my 6 better than my GSS on my X20. They are both tremendously better than the Sony protector I had on my DSLR! (it was older and a clip on and off design)

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  18. dragion

May 8, 2014
    Boston, MA
    William
    The Sony Semi-hard protector seems to be better quality than the ones that I previously purchased for the NEX-5T & NEX-6...a bit stiffer with less flex.

If Vello makes one for the A6000, I might consider replacing the Sony.
    For now the Sony PCKLM17 will do fine.

19. NkedFatWhiteGuy

NkedFatWhiteGuy TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 28, 2013
    Portland, Oregon
    • Like Like x 1
  20. dragion

May 8, 2014
    Boston, MA
    William
    Thanks NFWG for your feedback.
    I too wished that Vello had one for the A6000...

The Sony PCKLM17 is standing up excellent so far...I don't even remember it is there.
    It looks like it is the original LCD screen with the SONY at the bottom...plus better fingerprint prevention.

The AFUNTA seems to be a good alternative if you want a "glass" protector.

• Like Like x 1