A6000 Screen in Low Light

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by Hawkman, May 28, 2015.

1. Hawkman

Hawkman TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    As one who is interested in upgrading from his entry-level A3000 in the near future, I have at least one important question for those using the A6000 (or its predecessors, the NEX-6 and NEX-7): how does the LCD screen (and for that matter the EVF) perform in low light situations?

The LCD screen and viewfinder of the A3000 are much maligned for their low resolution, but I have been able to make do on that point. However, in low light, like on a dark evening when trying to "shoot the moon", or the planets/stars, the A3000's screen becomes a noisy mess, full of red dots where there is none. Do the higher resolution (i.e., 921K-dot) screens on the better Sony E-mount models perform well in low light or in the dark?

And while I'm at it, is it possible to set ISO limits in the Aperture-priority or Shutter-priority modes?

Okay, thanks all for any input on either question! Back to work...

Last edited: May 28, 2015
  2. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    I have yet to see my issue.

• Like Like x 1
  3. chrid

chrid Super Noob

May 5, 2014
    australia
    Chris
    My nex-6 gets pretty noisy at nigh and also has some lag, but its still usable unless in a very dark situation. My a7s however fares much better in all regards (though this is most likely due to its sensor).

• Like Like x 1
  4. Kirkp

Kirkp TalkEmount Regular

Nov 2, 2014
    You should have no noise in the EVF on moon shots if you're in manual mode and set your exposure by the "loony 11" rule. After all, the moon is roughly. as bright as an asphalt road in full sun.
    For really dark shots (e.g., milky way) I think the amount of noise in the EVF is mostly a function of the f/ number of your lens. If you have a slow lens, your A6000 will still try it's darndest to at least give you a noisy image so you can compose a shot. Better a noisy viewfinder than blackness (as you'd probably have with an SLR).
    What lens are you using?

• Like Like x 1
  5. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Moon captures aren't an issue with either LCD screen or EVF. Only in extremely dark lighting conditions will they become useless. By then most optical viewfinders won't be much better.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Kirkp

Kirkp TalkEmount Regular

Nov 2, 2014
    I compared the LCD screens of an A3000 and NEX-6 today, with the lens cap on. The A3000 screen was very noisy with lots of red specs. The NEX-6 was completely black. The NEX-6 is apparently much better at suppressing noise.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Hawkman

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    Thanks, that's what I was hoping/expecting.

8. Hawkman

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    Thanks. For moon shots I use either a Minolta MD 300/5.6 or a Celestron NexStar 6SE 6-inch telescope (focal length of 1500mm, f/10). In other low light situations I use either a Sony SEL50 f/1.8 or Minolta MC Rokkor PG 50/1.4. I'd like to get a wider, fast prime for star field shots in the future, maybe the Rokinon 12/2.

9. OldNoob

OldNoob TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 30, 2014
    Hawkman.

I tested the a3000 before i bought the a6000. The LCD on the a3000 is usable BUT the EVF is horrible compared to the a6000
    The body of the a3000 felt terribly light a low quality. Currently the a6000 is running about $550. Also the a5100 (while not having a viewfinder) is running about $350 and with lens about $500. BOTH are much better cameras than the a3000 for the price.
    HONESTLY i tried very hard to use the EVF on the a3000 but the resolution was very bad and the contrast, in high contrast situations, was so high that I had difficulty seeing what was in the shaded areas as opposed to a OVF. The a6000 has much higher resolution and can even out a high contrast situation much better than the a3000.

• Like Like x 1