1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

A6000 red/dead pixels in Monitor/Viewfinder in LiveView Mode

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by José De Bardi, May 17, 2015.

1. José De Bardi

José De Bardi Assistant in Virtue

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    So I noticed today when turning the camera on, with the lens cap still on, that the screen had 2 red pixels - great, dead pixels I thought!

They are present in the monitor and viewfinder so I'm now really annoyed as thinking they must be on the sensor and the camera is 1 month out of warranty!
    I took a pic and they are no longer there on camera playback or when I look at the images on the Mac (phew!), so I'm thinking it must be something to do with the live view mode on the sensor.

Sure enough, playing with the ISO/Shutter, 2 dead spots get worse with higher ISO/longer exposure (they actually disappear at base ISO100 and very fast shutter speeds). If you turn the live view effect setting off, they are always present and unaffected by the ISO/Shutter settings.

Having not noticed this before, I am guessing it was introduced with the firmware update to 1.20 I did the other week.

It's obviously not a major issue as the end resulting RAW/JPG's are not affected, but I just tried shooting in low light and I can see them which is pretty distracting as I use red focus peaking.

Anyone else noticed this?

Pic here of the 2 spots... The left is always slightly brighter than the right.
    red pixels - 1.JPG

2. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Hot pixels....fact of life with digital cameras. :(

I have several on my a6000. I noticed them after doing long exposures. The LE noise reduction setting deals with most of them.
    I contacted Sony support via their website on my growing number of hot pixels, but they never responded. Like dead pixels on LCD monitors, companies don't concern themselves about them until there is some number has been reached. ONE is unacceptable to me, but that's me.
    Annoying to have to remove them in PP.

• Like Like x 1
  3. OldNoob

OldNoob TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 30, 2014
    T̶r̶y̶ ̶s̶e̶t̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶d̶a̶t̶e̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶w̶a̶r̶d̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶d̶a̶t̶e̶/̶t̶i̶m̶e̶ ̶2̶ ̶m̶o̶n̶t̶h̶s̶,̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶n̶ ̶t̶u̶r̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶c̶a̶m̶e̶r̶a̶ ̶o̶f̶f̶.̶ ̶W̶a̶i̶t̶ ̶a̶b̶o̶u̶t̶ ̶f̶i̶v̶e̶ ̶s̶e̶c̶o̶n̶d̶s̶,̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶s̶h̶u̶t̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶w̶i̶l̶l̶ ̶c̶l̶o̶s̶e̶,̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶s̶e̶n̶s̶o̶r̶ ̶w̶i̶l̶l̶ ̶r̶e̶-̶m̶a̶p̶.̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶a̶ ̶t̶r̶i̶c̶k̶ ̶a̶7̶ ̶o̶w̶n̶e̶r̶s̶ ̶d̶o̶ ̶f̶r̶o̶m̶ ̶t̶i̶m̶e̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶t̶i̶m̶e̶.̶ ̶Y̶e̶a̶r̶s̶ ̶a̶g̶o̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶m̶y̶ ̶a̶1̶0̶0̶ ̶i̶ ̶h̶a̶d̶ ̶a̶ ̶f̶e̶w̶ ̶h̶o̶t̶ ̶p̶i̶x̶e̶l̶s̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶i̶ ̶a̶d̶v̶a̶n̶c̶e̶d̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶d̶a̶t̶e̶ ̶a̶ ̶c̶o̶u̶p̶l̶e̶ ̶m̶o̶n̶t̶h̶s̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶e̶v̶e̶n̶ ̶c̶h̶a̶n̶g̶e̶d̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶y̶e̶a̶r̶.̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶c̶o̶r̶r̶e̶c̶t̶e̶d̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶h̶o̶t̶p̶i̶x̶e̶l̶s̶.̶

Ops you mean you LCD and not your sensor right? sorry

Last edited: May 21, 2015
    • Informative Informative x 2
  4. José De Bardi

José De Bardi Assistant in Virtue

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    No, I think it is the sensor as it appears on the viewfinder and monitor. I give your idea a try, thanks!