A6000 Program Shift

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by José De Bardi, Apr 26, 2014.

1. José De Bardi

José De Bardi Assistant in Virtue

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    Hi All,

So loving the A6000 after 1 week and 1 pro shoot with it...

I have a query about the Program Shift function which I hope you can help with.

The problem is, when you go to program shift mode, getting back to just program is a pain. The user guide says to turn the dial back to where it started, which works, BUT, when you turn the dial the P/P* is not visible on the screen, so you either have to remember when leaving program what the aperture was (which I am never gonna do!) or change back towards where you think it was set, wait a second for the P/P* to re-appear and keep going step by step until you get there - obviously a time consuming non-option.
    I use the 'Display All Info.' option, if you use 'Graphic Display' or 'For viewfinder' then the P/P* is always visible, I just don't understand why Sony didn't leave the mode indicator in the top left all the time in 'Display All info.' as this would solve the issue!! Maybe I will send the suggestion to their customer services, it would be such a simple change to pop into the next firmware.

The other option is to switch the mode quickly to A and back to P for example - but also annoying, and not very clean in my mind!

Anyone else found this or ideally a solution to the problem.

Another oddity with program shift...
    So with the 16-50 for example, max aperture is 3.5-5.6. At 16mm P tends to like 4.0, if you zoom to 50mm it goes up to 5.6. Now if if you turn the dial to shift to a larger aperture, obviously nothing happens as you are at max, but if you then zoom back to 16mm it changes to 3.5 and P*, zoom back in and you go back to 5.6 in P. So it seems you can be in P* and if you reach the limits of aperture the indicator goes back to P, which I think is technically wrong - if I am in P* I want to know about it, even if the setting happens to be the same as P at the time due to physical limits of the camera/lens.
    In this instance, to get back to P, whilst at 50mm you have to go to 6.3 and back to 5.6, but if you accidentally go to clicks towards 5.6 you will end up in P* without knowing it until you go back to 16mm/3.5.

I'm thinking if I contact support with this complaint, and suggest keeping P on the screen in 'Display All info.' would at least help so you can see all the time when changing the amount of shift you have asked for. I can see that they may have made it switch back to P from P* in the case of limits being reached as technically you are no longer shifted - I would say that in this situation P(*) would be a suitable symbol, or P with a flashing * or something so you can see you have asked for shift but are not being given it...

I guess it wouldn't hurt if a load of us sent a similar complaint!?

2. José De Bardi

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
  3. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Sorry. But I've never used program shift.

4. izzikiorage

izzikiorage TalkEmount Veteran

Jul 30, 2013
    am an NEX6 owner who had posted a couple of questions about the program shift mode, it seems that not many people use or even understand it. I was reading through your post just to figure out what it does and whether I should be using it :)

5. José De Bardi

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    Haha! It's a really useful feature IMO, just a shame Sony didn't polish the ergonomics of exiting that mode!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. izzikiorage

izzikiorage TalkEmount Veteran

Jul 30, 2013
  7. José De Bardi

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    It's pretty simple, Sony have made a reasonable attempt at explaining it here http://www.sony-europe.com/support/emanual/ILCE-6000/HG/EN/contents/TP0000301841.html

I see I semi answer the question on your previous thread, now that I have an A6000 I can answer in full!

When you turn the dial it changes aperture and shutter at the same time, if you turn it one way it increases aperture size (lower f-stop) and increases shutter speed at the same time to maintain the same exposure. The other way and it decreases aperture (higher f-stop) and decreases shutter speed. So it's still auto, but 'shifted' one way or another to fit your requirement for more/less aperture/shutter.

• Like Like x 4
  8. steve500

steve500 New to TalkEmount

Dec 30, 2014
    Bringing this thread back to life because I have run into the exact same issues with Program Shift.

I come from running several Pentax cameras, from their simple cameras on up to the best of their APSC sensor cameras, they have what is called Hybrid shooting mode, does the exact same thing and they've done this for many years. While in P mode, you can spin one dial to slow down your aperture and capture some motion with motionblur or crank up down the aperture to f9 to quickly sharpen a shot. To go back to full-auto AE, you just press pentax's signature "Green" button and you're set!

There is NOTHING on this camera that I've found to be able to snap back to automatic exposure mode and cancel my Program Shift entry. I have to change modes and switch back to P and continue to be sure I'm back to shooting in full auto exposure.

9. José De Bardi

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    Yep, I still flick the mode dial out and in to P again, it's not the cleanest, but it is possible blind and is foolproof I guess.