1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

A6000 Ownuser Battery Grip Holder

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by dragion, Jul 16, 2014.

1. dragion

dragion TalkEmount Top Veteran

May 8, 2014
    Boston, MA
    William
  2. José De Bardi

José De Bardi Assistant in Virtue

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    I've been waiting for something like this to come out... I'm interested to see how well the second shutter release works over IR... The A7 has contacts in the battery bay to hook the extra buttons up but over IR you are going to have a delay...

The 12v feed option is nice as well.

Not sure I'm willing to guinea pig it, but by all means let us know if you go for it!

3. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    So. I cant tell from the description, but in the photo it looks like it has a button for shutter release, or is that just me? Cool it exists tho, also didnt read if it provided extra battery, or if it just added grip ... Forgive me the mobile site is hard on the eyes sometimes

Scribed henceforth from thy G pad.

4. dragion

May 8, 2014
    Boston, MA
    William

I contacted the seller and indication is that it holds 2 batteries, so that is really a plus for me.

I have yet to decide on ordering one, I still think the cost is a bit high and not sure exactly how it looks & functions with the A6000.
    My main concern is if the grip is comfortable to hold...seems a bit "blocky" with all the square like edges.

It definitely not like a normal battery grip like my Nikon's.

I hope that someone can chime in that has experience with this brand of grip...does not have to be the A6000 or even a Sony.

5. José De Bardi

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    Ummm, did you read my comment RE the shutter release, it was just before yours!!

6. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    [

it appears i missed it. how much of a delay are we talking about? i use ir remotes to fire my shutters and they seem plenty fast enough to me. . . granted i don't shoot sports though. but light travels pretty fast last i checked.

7. José De Bardi

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    You also lose the half shutter press for focusing... So it feels slower because the camera has to focus before releasing the shutter as well (which granted is fast on the A6000 - but no where near as good as the ability to pre focus and then shoot instantly). Less of a problem if you are using manual focus of course.

8. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    that makes a lot of sense. thanks for clearing that up.

9. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    I just received an Ownuser battery grip for the Nex-6. I'll test it in the weekend and report back ;)

10. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    For anyone that's interested here's my impressions:

It feels very cheap and like its made from very cheap plastic (though expected) :thumbdown:

Not difficult to attach

It offers significant better grip!!! With it I can now hold the camera with my whole palm, leaving just the forefinger to press the shutter button :thumbup:
    ...but it adds significant height to the camera. So with it on I can no longer put the camera into my small Think Tank Retrospective 5 shoulder bag :(

Takes 2 batteries so doubles the battery life I guess...
    (specs say that it provides 1.8 times of power when using 2 full batteries)

Doesn't feels to add much weight to the camera :thumbup:

It offers a 2nd shutter button but personally I can't see its use where its located :confused: and also with it you lose the half-press shutter button feature

It offers wireless (IR) shutter release and I've test this with a cheap china-made IR remote and works great :thumbup: There's a port to use Ownuser's own controller and portable power (sold separetly - don't have it so can't really commend) and also a DC in port for Ownuser's adapter (again sold separetely)

There's a anti-slip rubber pad where it mounts to the bottom of the Nex but not sure if it protect it from scrathes...

When attached, the camera can no longer sit level on a table etc.

Its the ugliest thing ever! lol :D Seriously, it turns a pretty camera like the Nex-6 into an ugly one and the shape and material of the grip doesn't really follow/flow with the oe Nex grip.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. dragion

May 8, 2014
    Boston, MA
    William
    Thanks Nick for being the "guinea pig" for this.
    Quality based is "cheap", but as long as it is functional and does what it's supposed to do then it's probably worth it.

If possible, can you share some pics of it on and off the camera?

• Like Like x 1
  12. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    No problem. Not the "guinea pig" Per se though since as I said its on my NEx-6 (and not the A6000) :)
    Sure, its advertised as offering 2 things: extended battery life and better grip. Based on that it does satisfy both but the 2nd ( better grip), on a cost, since its makes the camera quite ugly - and that's just a personal opinion :)

I'll take some pics and post them ;)

• Like Like x 1
  13. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Also, forgot to mention that the grip's additional shutter button does NOT work unless you switch the Drive Mode to "remote control".

• Like Like x 1
  14. dannat

dannat TalkEmount Regular

Jun 22, 2014
    VIC
  15. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    No, for what it does and for the price I got it I'm happy and I'm gonna keep using it - just would prefer if it was prettier :)

Yeah it does :D