A6000 or lens issue . Please see pictures

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by Mr203, Sep 6, 2015.

1. Mr203

Mr203 TalkEmount Regular

Aug 2, 2015
    MRR
    Guys,
    I noticed very unusual issue with Sony a6000 and Sony 24mm 1.8 lens.

Issue:
    When I take picture in A, potrait , intelligent or superior auto I don't find any issue with the photo.

However as soon as I select landscape from SCN I see small black dots in the pictures .

Do you think that this is camera issue or lens? Unfortunately I don't have another camera so I can't test .

One picture is taken with A and second black dot one with landscape.

Please find attached pictures.

Thanks in advance for your help

Attached Files:

2. Tabibito

Tabibito TalkEmount Regular

Apr 1, 2013
    Looks like some spots on either your lens or your sensor. Since you used landscape scene mode the camera will use smaller f number, that's why it won't show up on other modes. The portrait mode defaulted to bigger f number, and i assume you also use big f number such as f/1.8 with A mode since you're using SEL24F1.8, otherwise why should you buy it if you'll use it with small f number right? :)
    Try cleaning the front element of your lens and try taking the shot with f/16 or f/22 to be sure. Use A mode so that it is easier to set your aperture number. If the spots still visible try removing your lens and check the back of the lens and the sensor for any visible spots. Also try using the clean sensor option from the setting for cleaning the sensor.

3. soeren

soeren TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 12, 2014
    N├Žstved, Denmark
    Soeren
    Look like the dustspecs I sometimes have on the sensor in mine.

4. SpaceManSpiff

SpaceManSpiff TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2013
    Tucson, AZ
    Eric
    MRR,
    I strongly suspect that you have dust on your sensor. It gets on your camera when changing lenses. The dust will create those dark spots on your image when the aperture is stepped down (typical landscape apertures), but are not visible with large apertures (like for portraits).

Try turning the camera on with a fully charged (100% battery) --this will activate the sensor cleaning (shaking) mode and may knock some of the dust.
    If not you may need to clean your sensor.

This thread describes when I did it the first time. :crying: https://www.talkemount.com/threads/6945/
    It is actually not very difficult, but YMMV.

5. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Yep, what others have said: either dust on your lens or sensor, and it's the smaller aperture (larger f number) that "landscape" gives that makes them visible. The lens is easy to clean, and I've cleaned my A7's sensor numerous times with this LensPen sensor cleaning tool (NOTE: DO NOT USE A LENS CLEANING TOOL ON YOUR SENSOR!!!). BTW, you may read a lot of scary stories on the Internet about cleaning your sensor, but it's not as big a deal as some would have you believe. Just exercise some care, and you'll be fine.

Tip: keeping your camera facing down when swapping lenses will help keep dust off of the sensor.

6. Mr203

Mr203 TalkEmount Regular

Aug 2, 2015
    MRR
    Thank you all. Your suggestions worked. I used rocket air and camera self cleaning option and the spots are gone.

7. SpaceManSpiff

SpaceManSpiff TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2013
    Tucson, AZ
    Eric
    Good News! That is always a relief!

• Agree Agree x 1