a6000 - NP-FW50 battery drain

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by AZMoti, Oct 14, 2014.

1. AZMoti

AZMoti New to TalkEmount

Oct 5, 2014
    Arizona
    I have looked at various discussions re: the a6000 battery, but would like to re-open and get some members input.

Having recently purchased my a6000 and getting to learn how it handles (with great satisfaction) I finally went on a photo shoot yesterday to put it though its paces. Temperatures started out in the low 50's and then climbed to mid-70's. I have virtually every unnecessary setting turned off, including review; I do very little chimping; Shooting 300 single RAW frames, a dozen or so 3-bracket HDR, a couple of 10 sec. videos; 3 or 4 Sony App captures over a period of 6 hours, (using both Sony and (proven under test by me that I could live with those results of no-name batteries I have purchased) - batteries 1 & 2 each lasted about 2 hours (100+ images) and #3 was at 52% when I finished.

I carry 4 batteries at this time and am leaving for a 3 week trip to Europe tomorrow so I will have to suck it up and live with what I have, BUT does anyone have ideas/solutions for this dilemma, or is it just one of the joys of moving into mirrorless technology.

2. José De Bardi

José De Bardi Assistant in Virtue

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    Take a charger!? Surely you will have a chance to charge at least nightly (which is 2 batteries, one in camera and one in the charger).
    I can shoot 600+ frames on a single charge, but I don't bother with apps/vids etc. You seem to be getting much less than this!?
    I also don't turn anything off, including review.
    AF is a killer - what lens(es) are you using?

3. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    Do like Jose said, that should help. That said, the bottom line is that battery life is a weakness of these cameras. A lot has to do with 2 things:
    *the EVF and LCD. Comparatively, it's like shooting with a DSLR with live view on constantly.
    *Small batteries which help with compactness, but hurt battery life. Ex Canon standard LP-E6 (1800mAh), Sony standard NPFW50 (1020mAh)

So if your goal is to get DSLR performance with regard to battery life, that's not going to happen. The best way to deal with this is to buy as many batteries as you need for your typical shoot. You can carry 12 batteries and they wouldn't weigh you down as much as a DSLR would. IMO

4. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Or buy a battery grip ;)

5. José De Bardi

José De Bardi Assistant in Virtue

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    Yea, but the only one out there for the a6000 is a bit clunky atm. I'm waiting for a good quality one to appear.

6. mcvu

mcvu TalkEmount Regular

Sep 24, 2014
    Bay Area, CA
    Minh
    I haven't used it as extensively as AZMoti described but usually 2 batteries are enough per day for me.

I usually turn on airplane mode, turn off back LCD and only use EVF, turn off Preview, turn off Pre-AF, and stay away from AF-C if I don't need it. Wifi apps also consume lots of battery.

7. dbmiller

dbmiller TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    All goods ones. Also make sure the remote is disabled unless you are actively using one. And shorten the inactive timeout.

And obviously, turn it off whenever possible. I find my batteries drain the quickest when I forget to turn the camera off and the EVF has been on because it thinks it is being held up to my eye when it's in the camera bag or just resting against my chest. Pre-AF hurts in that situation too.

8. chrid

chrid Super Noob

May 5, 2014
    australia
    Chris
    All good points so far. If you use legacy glass (without autofocus) it will dramatically increase your battery life.

9. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Also what lens are you using? The 16-50?
    I know my Nex-6 will drain the battery much quicker when using the G 18-105mm f/4 since its an powerzoom lens