A6000 Noise

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by Pitter, Jan 23, 2016.

1. Pitter

Pitter TalkEmount Veteran

I wonder if I'm doing something wrong or if others have found this. I find it produces quite a lot of noise at just 1000 ISO.

2. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    What's "quite a lot?" Can you show us an example?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Some times its also lens dependable and scene/light dependable... My Nex-6 was "good" up to ISO800 FOR ME :)

• Like Like x 1
  4. Nexnut

Nexnut TalkEmount Top Veteran

I rarely shoot my NEX-7 above ISO400 [RAW], there's already some noise in skies at base ISO. According to DXO the low-light performance [RAW] of the A6000 is about one third stop better than that of the NEX-7 - nothing to write home about IMO.

5. fractal

fractal TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    DXO software does a much better job of removing noise from my RAW files vs. LR. I guess you could also try downsampling a file. I find the noise acceptable up to 1600iso on my Nex-7 but I'm not printing anything shot at that level either.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  6. Nexnut

Nexnut TalkEmount Top Veteran

Thanks, Chris. I usually don't apply noise reduction anywhere (another silly old habit) and mainly use the NEX-7 as digital back for my legacy glass at base ISO these days and need the 24MP for some long-term projects (large prints - different story). For the rest I've got my X-Wax snappers and the film cameras.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Pitter

Pitter TalkEmount Veteran

Darn it. Digging around I can't find a good example but anyway now I've learned about DXO. What I currently have apart from the noise reduction in Elements 14 is Neat Image. I wonder if there are any opinions on that.

8. BarefootPilgrim

BarefootPilgrim New to TalkEmount

Aug 8, 2011
    Westchester, Illinois
    Bob
    I don't shoot with Sonys (Olympus and Panny u43 and Nikon APS-C) but the best noise reducer I've found is Topaz Denoise. I've tried just about all the others. DxO does a good job, but Topaz does a GREAT job!

9. SpaceManSpiff

SpaceManSpiff TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2013
    Tucson, AZ
    Eric
    Are you seeing lots of noise in unedited images? If you are manipulating your images heavily (boosting shadows etc), you could see more noise.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. siftu

siftu TalkEmount Regular

Jan 30, 2016
    Hard to tell without samples but I mainly see people importing into LR and having the default sharpening settings. Try putting the mask up to 40 or so. If you don't do this you end up sharpening noise which makes it worse.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1