a6000 Noise

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by Pitter, Nov 17, 2015.

1. Pitter

Pitter TalkEmount Veteran

I am finding that shooting at ISO 800 produces substantial noise. Much more noise for example than my Canon 7D ll. Any one else noted that issue with the a6000?
  2. jai

jai TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 4, 2013
    According to Tony Northup, this is because Canon is pre-cooking their RAW files with noise reduction.

Diving Into the Numbers: Is the Canon 7D Mark II as Bad as DxOMark Says it Is?

I think I'm right in saying the A6000 is still the best APSC sensor available for noise performance.

Also, don't fall into the trap of comparing pixel by pixel. It's better to have more noise per pixel and more pixels, this allows you to do noise reduction and hold onto more detail. The only fair way to compare noise is at viewing or print sizes.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. fractal

fractal TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    As good as the A6000 is, the Nikon D7200 seems to get better performance from that sensor. The sensor in the Samsung NX-1 and it's little brother NX500 however is likely the best.
  4. jai

jai TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 4, 2013
    Can't be much in the A6000 vs Nikon D7200. As you say it is the same sensor, and in fact DXO mark does give the A6000 a slighlty higher ISO score than the Nikon. But they do also give the Samsung an even higher score? Slightly higher. I didn't even think of that one.

I doubt the differences are noticeable compared to other factors, like lens T-stop variances.

I guess my point is, no. The A6000 noise performance is not bad, its about as good as it gets.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. eno789

eno789 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jan 1, 2012
    NoCal, USA
  6. soeren

soeren TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 12, 2014
    N├Žstved, Denmark
    3200 is probably taking it to far
    180mm ais + tc201 DSC01068.JPG
    • Like Like x 1