A6000 Newbie

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by tagz, Nov 29, 2014.

1. tagz

tagz New to TalkEmount

Nov 29, 2014
    Hi everyone,

I have been using my iPhone(s) as my only camera the past few years (Prior to that, I had a few point and shoot cameras).
    So, I finally decided to upgrade to the world of mirrorless cameras (after debating between mirrorless and DSLR) :)

I just ordered a a6000 with 16-50 lens, 55-210 lens, soft case and a 64gb SDHC card for $750. I think it is a good deal.

Have been trying to browse the forum to see the different lenses people have been using with a6000, but there are so many and it is quite overwhelming as I am just getting started.
    My reason for buying was that we had our first little one a month ago and I wanted more than the iPhone camera to take good pictures of my baby. Since the 55-210 lens was actually $350 and as a part of the thanksgiving deal, the price was reduced to $150 (when bundled with the camera), I ordered it.

Now, I am a little concerned as I do not see anyone speaking about this lens. Is this a bad lens or not worth it?

Please help! Also, sorry if my past is too long.. will try to keep it short next time :)

--Tagz

2. christian

christian TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 12, 2014
    Boston MA
    Welcome to the forum Tagz! This is a fabulous forum, it's been very useful and very friendly with me, at least! LOL

I think you chose a very nice combo to start with. Then you'll see you'll want soon more lenses! Just like all of us HA HA
    At least those 2 lenses cover pretty much all the focal ranges you want. They're not the best ones but good values for their price.

Here are my sample pictures with the 16-50mm kit lens (the macros are with extension tubes though, you'll see in the text), that'll give you an idea :

http://ilovehatephoto.com/2014/09/23/how-to-shoot-levitation-photography/
    http://ilovehatephoto.com/2014/08/11/techniques-the-silhouetted-shot/
    http://ilovehatephoto.com/2014/08/0...raphy-part-2-and-5-subjects-of-predilections/
    http://ilovehatephoto.com/2014/07/28/amazing-locations-key-west-florida/
    http://ilovehatephoto.com/2014/07/21/the-top-5-tips-to-better-macro-photography-part-1/
    http://ilovehatephoto.com/2014/07/14/how-to-take-great-macro-photos-for-only-40/
    http://ilovehatephoto.com/2014/07/07/my-introduction-photographing-the-macro-world/

• Like Like x 1
  3. José De Bardi

José De Bardi Assistant in Virtue

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    Hi Tagz, welcome!

I have the 55-210... It's an alright lens, and one of only 2 options for a native Emount long zoom (the other being the 18-200).

The reason not many people post pics with it here is most people use adapted lenses, so Canon or Minolta etc.

The reason people use these adapted lenses is they either have them from the SLR days before they bought into Mirrorless, or they are so damn cheap for what you get!

That said, the only real option for AF on adapted lenses is via the LA-EA for Sony/Minolta AMount, and not many of these also offer OSS.

So from an ease/compact point of view the 55-210 works fine.
    It's not very fast, so you will struggle in anything other than a bright day without having to push the ISO into the noisy range, and it's not the sharpest lens ever made, but I've used it with great success for wildlife and incognito shots of friends at (outdoor) social events.

So long as you don't try and push it to far with the low light thing you'll enjoy it!

4. José De Bardi

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
  5. SpaceManSpiff

SpaceManSpiff TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2013
    Tucson, AZ
    Eric
    Hi Tagz, welcome!

No worries about the length of the post! On many occasions, I thought it would have been nice to have an AF OSS telephoto lens --totally worth it for $150.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Rollin

Rollin TalkEmount Regular

Jul 2, 2014
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    It's a fine lens and I like that is so portable. The 70-200/4 is at the top of my list, but for $150 this one is very useful. I borrowed a co-workers one night:

[​IMG]
    Sony α6000 - 55-210 @210mm - 1/800 - f/6.3 - ISO 5,000 - Cropped SOOC.jpg

[​IMG]
    Sony α6000 - 55-210 @153mm - 1/800 - f/5.6 - ISO 20,000 - Cropped SOOC.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  7. teddoman

teddoman TalkEmount Regular

Nov 18, 2014
    nyc
    I did what you're doing a few years ago, only I started with DSLRs.

If you're on a budget, learn how to use the popup flash in bounce position for a nicer look. Also reduces the risk of safety issues related to direct flash on babies.

If you can spare it, imho, get the Nissin i40 or Sony F43M flash. That, in combination with your kit lenses, is a good setup for new parents. Photography is about light. More light reaching the sensor = better photographs.

My next purchase after that would be the Sony 35mm prime. It has OSS which will help a beginner. It too will help you b/c it lets in more light than the kit lens. This will allow you to take natural light photographs in some situations and not use the flash.

8. mentalcase

mentalcase TalkEmount Rookie

Nov 11, 2014
    You may also want to look at the bounce cards that are flying around the web. It may be just enough to satisfy what you are looking for although buying a flash unit brought my pictures to the next level when I was shooting canon.

Also, while the 35mm is a great lens, you may find it to be a tad too tight more times then not. I learned this the hard way with a Canon 60d and the Sigma 35mm f1.5 art. It is one of the nicest lenses I've ever shot with, but on a crop body you are limited at times. So when I switched to Sony mirrorless I decided to go with the 24mm f1.8 Zeiss. You can snag a good used copy for a lot less then a brand new one and I'm finding the focal length to be perfect.

My recomendation? Stick with the kit lens and the 55-210 until they are limiting you as this will give you the chance to learn properly. Fast primes are amazing, but they do require a certain level of understanding to get a sharp picture.

9. Rollin

Rollin TalkEmount Regular

Jul 2, 2014
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
  10. José De Bardi

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    Good call. A member here makes them and they are awesome! I have a set... https://www.talkemount.com/showthread.php?t=7705

11. Kirkp

Kirkp TalkEmount Regular

Nov 2, 2014
    I have many adapted Minoltas for my NEX-6, but the 16-50 stays on most of the time. It's a bit slow, but the zoom range makes it very versatile. It's pretty sharp if you stay away from the zoom limits and don't set the aperture wide open.

I haven't found the 55-210 to be as useful. It's pretty slow, and I have trouble getting sharp, contrasty photos with it.

But I'd highly recommend having at least one legacy prime in the 50mm range for times when you can live without zoom and autofous..There are lots of inexpensive Minolta Rokkor 50mm f/1.7 lenses on ebay, so that's a good one to start with.

12. jai

jai TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 4, 2013
    It's a good lens, certainly worth the money you paid for it.

You won't really want to use it indoors or at night without a tripod, you need a fair bit of light to get a sharp shot. I shot this with that 55-210 and I quite like it:

15911756952_d766f82dda_b. 2013-09-14 at 13-06-56.jpg by Jai Sbr, on Flickr

Probably not the best suited to taking photos of your baby though. I bet if you sold it "as new" you could use the proceeds to get a Sigma 30mm F2.8 which would be much better suited.

13. Kirkp

Kirkp TalkEmount Regular

Nov 2, 2014
    Jai's Sousaphone shot proves the SEL55210 can get good photos in ideal conditions. Seems like most photos I want to take in that focal length range are less than ideal conditions!

For most kids shots a faster lens in the 30mm range will be much more useful. Jai's suggestion of the Sigma is a good one. For active kids, the autofocus will be invaluable.

Since you're coming from the iPhone point-and-shoot world, I highly recommend finding a good book about your specific camera. The "Unofficial Quintessential Guide" was a great help in learning the subtleties of my NEX6. I don't think they've released an edition for the A6000 yet.

14. José De Bardi

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    I'll also add that a good prime will really help you out with the kid shots.
    The sigma 30 is very good, but the SEL35F18 has even faster AF and that extra bit of light available (but is more expensive!). I love my 35 and would recommend it to anyone!

15. tagz

tagz New to TalkEmount

Nov 29, 2014
    You guys rock! That was pretty good info, thanks everyone! Will keep looking for a good deal to get one of the lenses y'all suggested
    These lenses are expensive.. Damn :D

I have yet to get my hands on the camera.. supposed to be delivered this Wed, so can't wait! :)

16. tagz

tagz New to TalkEmount

Nov 29, 2014
    The pictures are pretty good. Just learning the language now.. "Macros with extension tubes" sounds quite a mouthful.. ha ha

17. tagz

tagz New to TalkEmount

Nov 29, 2014
  18. tagz

tagz New to TalkEmount

Nov 29, 2014
    I just ordered a set! I might end up getting a flash, but these are pretty inexpensive, so I decided to get them anyway.
    Thanks!

• Like Like x 1
  19. Kirkp

Kirkp TalkEmount Regular

Nov 2, 2014
    I you are at all interested in trying a legacy manual focus prime, with some careful ebay shopping you could probably buy a Minola Rokkor-X 45mm f/2 or 50mm f1.7 in good condition for under $35 shipped. A minolta MD/MC to E-mount converter should be under $15 shipped.

When the kids aren't running around so you have time for manual focus, you'll be able to experience they joy of fast prime lenses.

20. teddoman

teddoman TalkEmount Regular

Nov 18, 2014
    nyc
    If you're unlikely to buy a comprehensive set of primes, and you're only going to get 1 prime, I'd pay more for a Sony prime like SEL35. The tracking AF that the A6000 is known for only works fully on Sony E lenses. Sigma has more limited functionality (apparently in the center box only). You'll appreciate the functionality when your child is moving around and you want to take video.

The number on the flash signifies how powerful the flash is. The on board flash has a GN of 6 I believe. So the flashes go 20,32,43, and 60. You get as much power as you're willing to pay for. And recycle times on the 2 battery flashes are longer than the 4 battery. But play around with the on board flash in bounce position a bit. You'll discover you have to be fairly close to your baby for that flash to work. Once you crave more flash power, during the dead of dark winter days, then order something with more power. Definitely don't need the 60. I've used a GN 20 flash before (Fuji's EF-20) and found it totally insufficient for indoors evening use. It's at best a little bit stronger fill flash, but it's not enough to light up a room.