1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

a6000 microphone.

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by alaios, May 20, 2015.

1. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Dear all,
    for those that are doing video with their a6000 a question for you. I would like to improve the sound quality of my captured videos and I wanted to ask you if you have tried an external microphone.
    What are the options and what are the price ranges?
    I would like to use a microphone to capture better my daughter that she is two and some times is very quiet like a kitty
    Regards
    Alex

2. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    There are a couple of HotShoe microphones available from Sony.

3. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Have you tried any of these?

4. SRHEdD

SRHEdD TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 25, 2012
    Viera, Florida, USA
    Steve
    I have both of the Sony mics, and prefer the shotgun over the swivel stereo. If you find that the one you want is the ECM-XYST1M, let me know, I'd sell it. It is as new. Either makes a BIG difference in quality, especially in ANY wind outdoors.

I use this one: http://store.sony.com/gun-zoom-microphone-zid27-ECMGZ1M/cat-27-catid-All-Camcorders-Accessories?_t=pfm=search

I don't use this one: http://store.sony.com/stereo-microphone-zid27-ECMXYST1M/cat-27-catid-All-Camcorders-Accessories?_t=pfm=search

The ECM-XYST1M comes with little wind socks, they're just not marketing-attractive.

5. Electric Shepherd

Electric Shepherd TalkEmount Regular

May 12, 2012
    Leicestershire, U.K.
    Ben
    Interesting Steve. I've been toying with an external mic for my Nex6, presumably the shotgun mic works with any unit with a multi-interface shoe?

6. SRHEdD

SRHEdD TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 25, 2012
    Viera, Florida, USA
    Steve
    Yes, both of these models work perfectly. I THINK that on the ECM-GZ1M, the "zoom" feature doesn't work on stills cameras, only the "gun" mode. There is a very nice upgrade in recording quality, especially outdoors on my A6000. I've used it on the filed at halftime to record my wife's cheerleaders, and at school concerts outdoors and in. This is a VERY good $100 spent if you plan on doing ANY video with an A6000. The ECM-XYST1M is a bit fiddly for me, and there was not diff in sound I could notice over the zoom/gun model.