1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

A6000 low light (gigs) as good as Nex6?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by Alex66, Aug 5, 2016.

1. Alex66

Alex66 TalkEmount Regular

Dec 23, 2014
    Ok I use my Nex6 predominantly for Gigs with the 50oss lens, I find the angle of view from this combo perfect. However I notice A6000 bodies are coming down in price and being the same resolution as my A7 it would be nice to get with the electronic zoom for when I want to carry a smaller package. So simple question at iso 3200 and 6400 has it got similar noise levels or better than the Nex6, I presume being newer the AF is better which would be a bonus.

Infrequently I do the photos for reviews such as The Dowling Poole - Bedford, Holy Moly’s @ Esquires - 13th May 2016

2. Alex66

Alex66 TalkEmount Regular

Dec 23, 2014
    Please ignore I looked at DXO and a few others and will go for either the A6000 or A6300 before my next job. They seem plenty good enough and Im selling the Nex.

3. WT21

WT21 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2011
    I don't know about the a6300, but the a6000 is better in every way for me over the NEX6. There was a gap between me owning them, so my memory might be off, but I remember fighting with the NEX6. The a6000 just works better.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Jazzer

Jazzer TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    New York
    Larry
    I still own both. I kept the NEX-6 as a backup and use it along with the A6000, each with a different zoom lens, when I would prefer to take an extra body than switch lenses. I definitely prefer the A6000 and it feels more refined and intuitive, although perhaps that is partially because I use it much more. That said, the NEX 6 still feels a little sturdier to me (not that I've ever had an issue with the A6000) and the EVF looks a little better to me.

Image quality and low light, the A6000 is probably a little better (and there is more ability to crop if necessary due to the extra megapixels), but not something I really notice day-to-day. There is a noticeable difference in usability, though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. WT21

WT21 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2011
    I think I did read the EVF in the a6000 took a step back, but I don't think either is stellar or really bad. They are both good. I think the NEX6 also had old-school NEX menus?? The newer alpha menus are so much better :) (actually, more than better -- I prefer them over Oly, Panny and Fuji -- so really class leading, IMO)

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Jazzer

Jazzer TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    New York
    Larry
    Yes, the NEX6 has the old menus and fewer options than the A6000 to set up your own functions to prevent you from having to go menu diving. The A6000 was a huge step up in that regard.

7. shaolin95

shaolin95 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jul 3, 2013
    Yes the ISO is not very different to be honest but some of the shadow areas will look cleaner on the A6000 instead of more purple like on the NEX-6. From what I have seen, the differences in that same issue with shadows is bigger on the A6300 vs A6000 than A6000 vs NEX-6. The main reason I changed my NEX-6 to an A6000 as my second body was the Menus.
    A lot easier to go from my A7Rii to the A6000 when the menus are more similar now.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1