1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

A6000 lens recommendation

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by Mr203, Aug 2, 2015.

1. Mr203

Mr203 TalkEmount Regular

Aug 2, 2015
    MRR
    Hi guys,
    New to the forum . I bought a6000 few days ago and now can't decide which lens to get . I have few in mind but not sure which one will give me sharpest and best quality in my situation.

My needs:
    Photos of daughter , wife , family 3-4 people in the picture and other hobby equipment . Most pictures indoor but out doors as well. I am looking best bookah , potrait lens. I said portraits because most pictures will be indoor with the family.

I have the following lenses in mind . Please let me know if one stand out for my needs

1- Sony zeiss 24 mm 1.8
    2- Sony 50mm 1.8
    3- Zeiss 55 1.8
    4- Zeiss 35 1.8
    5- Sony 35 1.8

Thanks in advance

Last edited: Aug 2, 2015
  2. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    Don't forget the Sony 35 1.8 and I guess you mean the Sony Zeiss 24 1.8. I say stay at 35mm or below for indoors with APS-C. The 50mm will be 75 FOV and be too tight.

• Like Like x 2
  3. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    I only have the 50mm SEL. It has gotten me some very nice shots.

My only concern is that this lens might be a bit long for a group shot if indoors

4. Mr203

Mr203 TalkEmount Regular

Aug 2, 2015
    MRR
    Make sense . If 35 , should I look in to zeiss or Sony ? Both cost $$449 on Amazon. The other option is 24 1.8 for $750

5. jai

jai TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 4, 2013
    The Sony 35mm F1.8 is what you want. It's the most versatile by far, it shoots great portraits but has the flexibility for group shots too. You get the OSS for low light and for shooting video.

The 50mm Sony is good choice if you want to take a portrait of 1 person, but not as versatile.

I lust over the Sony Zeiss 24mm, but mainly for it's ability to get close focus. It's too expensive really, but I wish I had it for taking photos of food.

6. WestOkid

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    You cant go wrong with any of these lenses. The Zeiss is slightly sharper according to DXO, but the Sony has stabilization. That will help indoors.

7. WestOkid

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    Oh. The Sony focuses faster too

8. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    OS helps indoors... There is also Sony 28mm f2 which is between 24mm 1.8 and 35mm 1.8 options. It is a full frame lens at 24mm size and apsc crops the problem areas on the corners. Sony 35mm 1.8 is smaller then 24mm & 28mm and has OS.

9. Mr203

Mr203 TalkEmount Regular

Aug 2, 2015
    MRR
    Sony 28mm f2 sounds like an interesting idea with a6000. Is it a versatile lens or specialized in outdoor landscape or indoor potrait?

10. jai

jai TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 4, 2013
    Oh yeah the 28mm would be an interesting choice. Usefull focal length. Good choice if you ever want to get an A7.

Being a full frame lens, it is a bit bigger than the other choices. That's another point for the 35mm actually, it's a really nice size. Smaller than both 24mm and 50mm.

It's roughly equivalent to a 40mm lens, which is a good all round focal length. It was a popular choice for fixed focal length rangefinders like my Minolta 7Sii. Would be handy for indoor portaits, you won't get quite as much Bokeh as the 35mm but it wont be far off

Last edited: Aug 2, 2015
  11. Mr203

Mr203 TalkEmount Regular

Aug 2, 2015
    MRR
    Thanks all for the help guys. I order Sony 35 1.8 through amazon. Once I play more and review the capabilities I May get a potrait lens to take portraits something like zeiss 55 1.8

Thanks again

12. Mr203

Mr203 TalkEmount Regular

Aug 2, 2015
    MRR
    Your pictures are beautiful specially NyC pictures . Can I ask what camera and lenses used foe outdoors?

Thanks

13. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Not on your list, but don't forget the Sony E 18-55mm, it's very useable for family pictures outdoors and it's cheap second-hand, I bought mine for less than € 100.

14. WestOkid

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    Thank you. I use and a7 and a6000 and many lenses, but my main lens theses days in the Sony Zeiss 16-35Z.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Kirkp

Kirkp TalkEmount Regular

Nov 2, 2014
    The needs described in the OP might call for more than one lens:

1) A zoom on the wide end -- Sony's 18-55 and 16-50 kit lenses are very versatile.

2) One or two fast, high quality primes -- Around 35mm for indoors, 50mm or more for outdoors. Longer is usually better for portraits, but shorter is more practical when working distance is tight.

Alternatively, if you really want to meet all the needs listed in the OP with a single lens, it should be the fastest high quality zoom you can afford.

To determine the widest focal length you need you could set up a worst case test shot (e.g., several people in a small room), frame it with a kit zoom, and check the focal length you needed to use to frame that shot.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2015
    • Useful Useful x 1