1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

A6000 kit lens?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by RAWFA, Apr 19, 2014.

1. RAWFA

RAWFA TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 25, 2011
    I'm almost sure the 16-50mm kit lens that comes with the A6000 is the same that Sony released before. Can anyone confirm if this is the case or this is an updated version? I was thinking about getting the A6000 with the kit lens because it looks very small and a great combo for trips and such...but I've read some dreadful reviews (specially at wide open).

After seeing the samples posted on the links bellow I really don't see why the extreme reactions. Sure, I see some distortion @16 but it's nothing I haven't seen on the 16mm 2.8 pancake. Unless someone else says something more concrete it looks totally usable for trips or casual stuff.

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Sony_Alpha_A6000/sample_images.shtml
    http://www.photographyblog.com/previews/sony_a6000_photos/

2. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    The lens quality is comparable to most kit lenses. It's the SEL1650 that has shipped with the NEX 5t and NEX 6. It is definitely usable unless you are a pixel peeper. It's killer feature is being a pancake standard zoom.

I upgraded to the 18-105G for better quality and range, some upgrade to the 16-70z. Both cost significantly more and are much less portable.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

3. RAWFA

RAWFA TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 25, 2011
    I plan to get the A6000 as companion for my A7 for wedding work and such. I thought that the 18-105mm could be just perfect, as it has a nice range, a constant f4 aperture and it doesn't cost us$1500 like the 70-200mm f4...but when I read that the zoom is electronic and not mechanical that was a deal killer for me right there. I've watched some videos an zooming in is way too slow for events, sports and weddings. A real shame.

What is your take on the zooming speed while zooming manually? Would it be too much to ask for you to post a video zooming in and out full speed?

4. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Can't you switch the zoom from constant power zoom to accelerated power or even manual zoom? That is possible with some power zoom lenses, even some of Sony's own ones (with the 18-200 PZ, for example). Still, the power zoom lenses are thought for video use with the E-Mount camcorders, not necessarily with stills in mind.

For weddings, I wouldn't use any kit zoom anyway. Usually, most would recommend a 24-70 2.8 and a 70-200 2.8. Unfortunately, we E-Mount users don't have such options, so I'd recommend the 70-200 f/4 together with either the 16-70 f/4 or a fast, wide prime like the 35 1.8, with at least two bodies, of course.

As for quality of the kit zoom - it's okay. A great lens for beginners like it should be. Once you compare it to something of a higher quality, it quickly gets obvious just how good modern lenses can be.

5. RAWFA

RAWFA TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 25, 2011
    I have my A7 with the 55mm 1.8 and several Canon FD lenses for more important work, but I thought the a6000 could be a good second camera with the right lens for work and a good camera for travelling with a portable lower end lens like the kit lens.

6. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    For that purpose, it's a great choice.

7. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I never understood the rap on the 1650 lens either. Before I dropped mine and then finished it off by trying to "fix" it, it was my most-used lens. Being able to go that wide is an important feature for me. Hey, it's a kit lens, and compared to just about any other kit lens, it holds up well. If I were still shooting with an APS-C camera, I'd buy one without hesitation. Especially when there are so many pixel-peepers out there disposing them on ebay for a song without even trying them out.

8. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    I read the same thing about the SELP18105G, but people must zoom a lot faster than i do. I am not a pro. IF you use the PZ lever, then it is slow, but I believe that is intentional for video. When shoot stills, nobody uses that switch since it has a manual zoom ring.

Rather than trust with my opinion, I loaded a quick sample using the manual zoom ring. The lights are dim in the room, but my intention wasn't to show my house. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aB-0zlKiE2U

Note: Like the focus ring, the zoom ring does't stop.

9. yakky

yakky TalkEmount Rookie

Mar 25, 2014
    IMO it's very sharp for a kit lens. Also has good contrast all around. The distortion near the edges is bad if you get a face or other body part caught in it. The software correction is not flattering, I usually prefer the actual distortion vs the correction.

10. José De Bardi

José De Bardi Assistant in Virtue

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    Just taken mine out for a first spin, figured this thread is as good as any to share my initial thoughts on the 16-50...

Coming from the 18-55 on my Nex-5 I miss the dedicated/mechanical zoom ring a bit. I have allocated the c1 button as MF/AF which effectively swaps the ring from zoom to focus so it's not too bad, but I do miss the 'ends' of the zoom feel, and I keep zooming the wrong way. I'm sure I'll get used to it given more than a day shooting with it. I may start using the W/T slide, but find it awkwardly placed, no finger or thumb seems to find it easily.

As far as picture quality goes, as already stated, for a kit lens it's very good. I find it lacking contrast slightly, but nothing adding a couple of notches in post doesn't fix.

The AF speed when combined with the A6000 is phenomenal! I keep accidentally taking pics too early as I am still compensating for my Nex-5 horrendously slow contrast focus. If you put the 18-55 or 55-210 on the A6000 it's fast, but not as fast as the kit 16-50.

It is also of course supremely small, which makes it very portable for a day out. And the extra 2mm wide angle compared to the 18-55 is really nice to have on tap, I don't miss the extra 5mm of reach either (mainly as cropping is not an issue on the A6000 as it was with my Nex-5). I still think I will use the 16F28 pancake from time to time though as the extra 2/3 stops of light is handy - and as it's pancake slipping it in the bag for the day is no issue.

If I have one niggle it's the use of 40.5mm filter size, ALL my other lenses are 49mm (including my OM) so filters/caps are all interchangeable. I will definitely be putting a step up ring on it permanently. It will add 2mm to the length of the kit, but given I'm used to the 18-55 size for my default walkabout lens this is no big deal to me!

All in all I'm very happy I paid the bit extra to get this with the A6000 rather than going body only and using my existing lenses.

11. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 TalkEmount Regular

Mar 2, 2014
    RI
    Mine is good for JPEGS, I have been walking around quite a bit with a lately. Such a pocketable little combo!

Shot some Raw and distortion at wide is sick. The software corrects it for JPEGS. All good, nice little lens. Pro level, no. Nice, yes.

12. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Lightroom has had built-in correction for the 16-50 for several iterations now. And if you're using Aperture, PTLens will correct it too. I don't know about any other raw developers, but I only shot raw images when I used that lens.

13. RAWFA

RAWFA TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 25, 2011
    Thanks for all the opinions. The price difference between getting the A6000 with or without the lens is so little that I've decided to get it with the lens.