a6000 jpg shooting: "Clear", 12MP, other thoughts

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by WT21, Jan 3, 2016.

1. WT21

WT21 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2011
    I stare at a computer all day for my job (and I guess these boards, lol). "Forcing" myself to work on RAW shots is not my thing. At least not for my daily "fun" shooting. I am very pleased with the a6000 for jpgs. I have found two settings that are blowing me away.

First, I use "clear" as the creative style. I don't remember this being on the NEX cameras, but I love it's balance of contrast, color and sharpening.

Second, I love the fact that the a6000 has a 12MP option. To me, 12MP is a near-perfect size. I like that I can fall back on 24MP if needed, but for most of my shooting, which involves only light cropping and recomposing, 12MP is more than enough, it keeps the file sizes (and therefore the working speed on my 2009 Mac) well in hand, and I swear it helps with DR, lol. I'll need to run some closer checks on this, though.

Another thing about the a6000 that I love. I find the metering much more even and predictable than either my Sony a7 (where it always seems to meter dark, so I need +2/3 EV) or my old NEX6, which seemed inconsistent.

I had a NEX6 up until March last year. I liked the output, but I never liked the camera. I left NEX because I had read the a6000 had a bad EVF and no horizon level. The new price of the a6000 brought me back (got mine for $348), and I'm glad I gave it a try!

Any other a6000 jpg shooters? Settings or experiences or tips?

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    I have gone all RAWs the last few years. While I do find it amazing what you can do with a photo in post, I often wonder if I shouldn't give JPEGs another try. My post skills are not actually very good, I think, so it may be that for all but those times when I am trying to make a serious photo, I could do fine with JPEG. You have given me some food for thought.

(fwiw, I have had a 5N, a 6, and since late October an A6000.)

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  3. robbie36

robbie36 TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 21, 2014
    I am doing quite a lot more jpeg processing these days. A lot of people (my gf especially) want instant photos. Downloading to an ipad processing and sending is a breeze. Snapseed is now so good that you have quite a lot of ability to process jpegs. Also I find I am always backlogged in my raw processing.

• Like Like x 1
  4. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    I do RAW+ JPEG and find that 90% of the JPEG images just fine with just a little tweaking.

However it is nice to have the RAW as backup if they need a bit more .

5. jai

jai TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 4, 2013
    I used to think JPEGs were fine. But now that my post processing skills are a lot better than they used to be, I'm kicking myself. I wish I had RAW files for a lot of my old photos, especially travelling shots.

I think if you really care about an image, and especially if you want to print it, JPEG definitely isn't good enough. If you are just playing around and sharing on facebook, sure. But then you never really know when you are going to get a great shot though do you?

I always shoot RAW + JPEG, and to keep things simple I do all my less serious editing by sending shots to my iPad via the app. The iPad will only get the JPEG version, and is more than good enough for JPEG edits.

• Like Like x 1
  6. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    The a6000 jpeg engine is quite good, way better than the Canon DSLR one I used to see. Therefore I shoot RAW+JPEG to have both on hand. Only in low-light conditions does the default settings show artifacts. Nearly all my web-based pics are JPEGs straight out of the camera. The RAWs are the negatives. I should note, I try to compose the shot I want before, instead of after.

7. Mus Aziz

Mus Aziz TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 3, 2015
    Mus
    I use jpegs for my street photography. For landscapes, which I don't have much opportunities these days, it'll be RAW + jpegs.

8. WT21

WT21 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2011
    Yes, the a6000 has one of the better jpg engines I've seen in a long while.