a6000 intermittent strange noise at ISO100

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by OldNoob, Dec 13, 2014.

1. OldNoob

OldNoob TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 30, 2014
    Every now and then i notice while shooting in Aperture priority with manual lenses the camera pops out a one-off of strange exposure image even though its ISO100 the noise seem quite high. Anyone have thoughts to the cause of this? i think it might have something to do with a combination of colors but who knows.
    At ISO100 the sky should have a much more even and or smooth color fade. What do you think? (please ignore the lens spots)

100% crop far left hand mid

Attached Files:

2. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Is this jpeg or raw? If its raw, then i have experienced it too. I researched it at the time and many people think it is related to sony's lossy raw formula vs a lossless output of others. They say missing information results in banding and non-smooth gradients.
    I don't like it, but it doesn't happen all the time and when it does, I can usually correct it. I do wish they had lossless raw, but not enough to use a different platform.
  3. OldNoob

OldNoob TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 30, 2014
    Ah ok that's not actually noise but rather banding. Thanks for the reply.
    That image is from the in camera Jpeg. But sense you mentioned it, i went back and looked at the ARW file and sure enough the noise was there and much harsher than the jpeg.